Best tube mic pre, w/compression, for <$1k

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by BKK-OZ »

I know that there are a couple of other, older threads herein on topics like 'Best Mic Pre' etc. and I have combed those posts and many other sources for an answer, but...

Maybe what I want doesn't exist, so I thought I might ask before going crazy trying to find what I am looking for on my own.

I want:
  • - a mic pre with tube/valve amplification (I want a bit of harmonic distortion, etc.)
    - an optical compression circuit (I just like that sort of compression)
    - prefer withOUT EQ
    - I can't spend >$1k
Am I just dreaming, or is any of that achievable?

As always, help from fellow Motunationers much appreciated.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
FutureLegends

Re: Best tube mic pre, w/compression, for <$1k

Post by FutureLegends »

Get a used Universal Audio LA610 should be around $1000, no? Sounds like that's what you're describing ;-)
I love mine!
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanx for that.

Yeah - would love to have one of those.

New ~$2.5K here in Oz, second hand = rare, so its outa my price range.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
ripeart
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ripeart »

Have you checked out any Grace Design equipment?
'11 MacBook Pro 10.6.8 i7, 8GB, DP 7.22 | Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Absynth, NI Komplete, Waves Mercury, Nugen, SoundToys
Dynaudio 6a, Avantone Mixcubes, Event 20/20, Focusrite ISA One, DBX 160x, DBX 386, DBX 1066, Mindprint, 828.2, Lexicon PCM-91, Oxygen 25, Yamaha P-85, Midisport 2x2
Neumann TLM-103, Rode NT1a, Fathead Ribbon, Fender, Gibson, Taylor acoustics, PRS & Schecter guits, Vox VT120+, GK-MB112, etc...
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Yes - the Grace Design M101 is the kind of thing that is in my range, and I might end up there, its just that the Grace stuff doesn't offer either the compression or tube gain I also want. I could, of course, go with another compressor + the M101, but my preference is to have a consolidated and simple vocal channel strip.

One option that is consolidated, but not simple, that falls into this category is Focusrite's Voice Master Pro. The VMP probably tries to cram too much into one unit and reviews haven't been very flattering.

The gizmo I am currently using is SM-Pro Audio's TC 01. It was v. cheap, gives a funky sound that I like on guitars, but not so much on vocals.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
barreltone

Post by barreltone »

What are your prices like for TLAudio stuff?

http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs/products/5050.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs/products/5051.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 5050 (1st link) is $660 USD, $1000 for the 5051 @ Sweetwater.
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem,OS X 10.6.8, MOTU 896HD, DP 7.24, Finale 2009, MSI, Izotope Trash, Spectron, Ozone 4, Alloy, Rx2
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanx for that idea, I had looked at the 5050, but it kind of slipped out of my consciousness. Usually TL Audio stuff is ridiculously over priced here in Oz - the distributor seems to almost want to choke off interest, the prices are so high. The best deal I have found for a TL Audio 5050 is ~$850 (AUD, which is almost the same in USD). Might be an option, got investigate it a bit more.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I've found what looks like a really good deal on a Joemeek oneQ, so that is where I am leaning right now.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
mikebeckmotu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mikebeckmotu »

I have a oneQ, and love it. Features galore. I've mostly been using it for tracking acoustic guitar, and for me, the compression hasn't been a great fit (on acoustic guitar, anyway), but the EQ is nice, and I've been using the oneQ's digital conversion to bypass MBox converters on my portable system.
There's an "Iron" switch that I leave always on that brings a transformer into the circuit (adds some heft to the sound).
It's worked well as a DI for electric bass and guitar.
I haven't needed the enhancer section yet, but I like having the option. I find that mic placement is more important, anyway.
It isn't what I'd call a transparent preamp, but I like the character it has, and it handles signals in such a way that mild EQ after the fact has always taken the sound where I need it.
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Current bid USD619 + shipping should end up at around $1000 no?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Audio-LA- ... 2164wt_959
Might be an alternative, no?
Maybe there's also import tax or something?

I would try going that route before the TLA/Joe Meek. My only experience with Joe Meek is the VC7 which is not a tube pre and doesn't have a compressor. It's very clean and good but lacks 'mojo' ;-)

Cheers
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

The 610 looks yum, but I reckon it will end up >$1k, but I will watch it anyway.
The new oneQ I am looking at is $550 (AUD=$600 USD), and it comes with. JM mic too (which I don't need, but will be nice to have).
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

BKK-OZ wrote:The 610 looks yum, but I reckon it will end up >$1k, but I will watch it anyway.
Sweetwater has a demo unit for sale right now at $720. But I don't know what shipping to Oz would be...or if they even ship to Oz.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shipping here for something like the 610 would be ~$150, which puts it close to my budget limit. I have managed to find a TL Audio 5050 for $850 (AUD), and I am still thinking about the JM. Oh dear, its all too hard.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Here's the way I approach buying gear:
For me music is all about emotion. And that applies to the equipment I use to create it too. I need to 'feel' something for the things I buy, need to like their look and feel. I buy the one I really want, even if it breaks the bank for a bit. Otherwise I just end up regretting my purchase, even if it was the logical and 'wise' decision. And I can't stop thinking about that thing that I really wanted.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

FutureLegends wrote: I need to 'feel' something for the things I buy, need to like their look and feel.
I hear you brother, same for me, which, is one of my dilemmas, because apart from the stuff that is just too ridiculously priced to ever consider, I haven't found the one that hits that spot for me. I guess I want a much better version of the SM Pro Audio TC01 that I already have - and probably for the same reasons you outlined - I really like it, it speaks to me, and its great for guitar, but it just doesn't have the fidelity for vox. Maybe your take is the right one, when I see it, I will know, kinda like falling in love...
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku