Optimal conversion to MP3?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

I'm frequently needing to convert my mastered mixes to MP3 format.

At this point, I've tried...
Lame within DP
Lame with Bias Peak
iTunes built-in convertor.
They all sound slightly different, but I'm not really happy with any of them.

Does anybody have a clue about a better sounding convertor?

Thanks
All is well
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Sounds like you're just describing MP3s - they pretty much all sound terrible. I just use DPs conversion since it's most convenient (since I already in the app) and the resulting file is only for review at best. Batch conversions are also easy to do with QT Amateur.

You might look into Audio Finder as well. Not as elegant but very useful for many other things.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
adriano

Re: Optimal conversion to MP3?

Post by adriano »

Hi waterstrum,

Like MLC said, it is what it is with MP3.
I can suggest Audio Hijack Pro. You can apply compression and EQ within the app. Once you're happy with the sound, just let it record the audio from DP to MP3.

Hope it helps,
Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

LAME is the basic engine for most converters but you can specify the converter settings. The higher the better. The down side, of course, is larger files.

To critical ears, an mp3 never sounds like the real thing.

When converting raw audio to mp3, I use Quicktime Pro and, when possible, select AAC (depending on the recipient of the file).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

I (if I have to) convert them from inside DP using lame and from the master session document (not a bounced file) at the highest setting at 320, anything less is disturbing.

For better quality I use iTunes AAC at 320 (much better).

Oh I don't use VBR either....
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I guess it depends on the kind of music you're making. When I convert my classical files to MP3's using LAME, I use VBR (Variable Bit Rate) and high quality settings. If I'm not going to be posting them online, I'll eliminate VBR and just go with the highest settings.

People are always saying that mp3's sound like crap, and 10 years ago when we were compressing the sht out of them, they did, but with high quality settings and VBR, I really have trouble telling them apart. In fact, I'm not sure I can. The upper end of my hearing is about 17K, which is higher than most people my age (and pretty good for even half my age), so I don't think it's due to hearing loss. Maybe for jazz tracks with nicely balanced cymbals and hi-hats, you just might tell a difference, but honestly I can't distinguish most of the original tracks I have from their mp3's or AAC's. Sometimes, but not often.

I think mp3 gets a bad rap because of its sordid past. LAME makes a pretty good file when you give it enough juice.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
melenko

Post by melenko »

Where do I have to put the LAME folder?
Thank you.
MacPro 2.66 - 8Go ram-10.6.2 /DP7.2/URS plugs/Kontakt4/PlugsoundPro/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/Altiverb/Ozone4/Sonnox/etc...Neve 8801/RME ffce 800
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

This offering from Sonnox might be the way forward

http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugin ... -codec.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Offers realtime auditioning so you can hear what is going on before committing to the codec......

Seems like it might have to be a 'must have' for the professional environment........

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

For $300+ (or is that pounds!) I'll take a few seconds to export a mix and compare myself. $300 buys an awful lot of pancakes!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Wow! The Sonnex solution looks pretty comprehensive and powerful!

I remember years ago in the pre-OSX days experimenting with different encoders and remember getting the best results using some library I downloaded directly from the Fraunhofer institute. It was a convoluted process to make an MP3 using it, but it sounded better than the others.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
melenko

Post by melenko »

stephentayler wrote:
http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugin ... -codec.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Offers realtime auditioning so you can hear what is going on before committing to the codec......

Seems like it might have to be a 'must have' for the professional environment........

Stephen
Thank's stehentayler! You were quickier than I was! I saw the same thing and it's maybe the
ultimate response for now.
MacPro 2.66 - 8Go ram-10.6.2 /DP7.2/URS plugs/Kontakt4/PlugsoundPro/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/Altiverb/Ozone4/Sonnox/etc...Neve 8801/RME ffce 800