Gonna use DP for backtracks for the first time...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FutureLegends
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FutureLegends »

Any suggestions? ;-)

The plan is to have DP and a 828 feeding the mixer 8 tracks.
It's probably be run by someone who's never used DP before. So I need it to stop automatically after each song so they just have to press play.

Is chunks the best way to go?
Or can I have all tracks after each other and make DP automatically stop somehow?

Any other pitfalls to be aware of?

thanks

DZ
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
fullertime

Post by fullertime »

We do this at my church every weekend. Currently, I just import each song into the sequence as separate tracks and add markers.

The folks that run it have been trained in the basic start/stop controls and how to jump to markers.

Ive thought about using chunks but haven't ventured there yet.

By the way, it works perfectly and it opens up a world of cool
Opportunities via MIDI

Let me know what you decide to go with.

Peace

Fuller
FULLER - Raleigh/Durham, NC

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."
--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //
kwiz

Re: Gonna use DP for backtracks for the first time...

Post by kwiz »

FutureLegends wrote:Any suggestions? ;-)

The plan is to have DP and a 828 feeding the mixer 8 tracks.
It's probably be run by someone who's never used DP before. So I need it to stop automatically after each song so they just have to press play.

Is chunks the best way to go?
Or can I have all tracks after each other and make DP automatically stop somehow?

Any other pitfalls to be aware of?

thanks

DZ
Chunks is the way to go. Set end markers on every chunk and all you operator has to do is change the chunks and press play.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

kwiz wrote: Chunks is the way to go. Set end markers on every chunk and all you operator has to do is change the chunks and press play.
Actually with the cue chunk function all he has to do is to press play :D

What I wish though is: possibility to chain some chunks and cue others. Is this possible? Also there is a slight delay when next chunk is loaded, I was hoping to chain them and they could go straight into each other. Is there a way to get DP to preload or something so there's no delay?

Thanks
DZ
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
fullertime

Post by fullertime »

That's the main reason we haven't gone to chunks...

By creating linear sequences, we can program in crossfades and transitions for some of the back to back songs with no hiccups or
Pauses

--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Ya know, this brings up a question for me that I don't have an answer for.

Let's say each of your chunks is a sequence with a lot of VI's and CPU-intensive plugs - isn't that kind of a recipe for trouble, switching
from chunk to chunk?

I did use chunks for playback in DP 5 on my old G4 Powerbook, and even
with minimal plugs, when it got to the point where there was to be
a transition to the next chunk, DP would stop and I'd get the beachball
for about 8 seconds. Then the next chunk would start.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I would combine the "segue" songs into one chunk, and separate the non-segue songs into separate songs.

@David Polich:
I would DEFINITELY render everything as audio with close to no plugins to use DP live. Maybe it's just me.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dwetmaster wrote:I would combine the "segue" songs into one chunk, and separate the non-segue songs into separate songs.

@David Polich:
I would DEFINITELY render everything as audio with close to no plugins to use DP live. Maybe it's just me.

It's not just you! The key word when doing this stuff live is to simplify! Keep it simple, because complexities invite disaster! Practice it for simplicity. I think a lot of people get some idea that they will be able to do all kinds of tricks on stage with all the power of a DAW. Once someone tries it, they tend to get the message and they're not as apt to require persuasion to just keep it simple.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
fullertime

Post by fullertime »

100% audio render of all VI's... I agree, keep It simple... You want that CPU and ram available to run the program free with nice performance and no glitches...

--------------------
amergin

Post by amergin »

Not meaning to do a sales job here but have you thought of using something a bit simpler if all you're doing is running backing tracks? I released an app for the iphone a short while ago for just this purpose as I found myself dragging my laptop all over the place when all I needed was a simple backing track (which I used to just use a cd for). The app is OneTrack and can be seen at http://www.onetrackapp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Could be that you need higher fidelity than the output of the iphone (or ipod touch) though..? I use DP to do everything then bounce stuff down to high quality mp3 and line it up in itunes... No-one has complained yet!
27" iMac, MOTU 828mk2, 10.6, DP7, Melodyne etc, etc.
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Shooshie wrote:
Dwetmaster wrote:I would combine the "segue" songs into one chunk, and separate the non-segue songs into separate songs.

@David Polich:

It's not just you! The key word when doing this stuff live is to simplify! Keep it simple, because complexities invite disaster! Practice it for simplicity. I think a lot of people get some idea that they will be able to do all kinds of tricks on stage with all the power of a DAW. Once someone tries it, they tend to get the message and they're not as apt to require persuasion to just keep it simple.

Shooshie
Exactly...I rarely use any plugins with the exception of Trim and MW Limiter. (When doing live shows of course)
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas