Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

laurierobin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

4.6 and OS 10.5 I know I know it's old! But I'm stuck! help

Post by laurierobin »

Anybody out there can help with this dilemma? :oops:

G5 duo, 10.5, DP 4.6.
After I upgraded to 10.5 (I wiped the drive and it was a clean install) DP crashes every time I do any work with audio bouncing, soundbites export and loading, etc.

I can still record and playback audio just fine though. I upgraded the 2408 driver and that seemed to work for a while but now I'm back where I started. :banghead:

I really just want to upgrade and do a clean install of 5.1.3 but can't find an old copy to buy. :cry:

Audio system is PCI 424 card with 2408 MkII.

Deeply indebted for any help...I know it's an old system.... :oops:
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 4.6 and OS 10.5 I know I know it's old! But I'm stuck!

Post by kgdrum »

I think the DP4.6 will not work past 10.4.11,the fact that it works at all in Leo surprises me.
imo you would be better off in any case updating to DP7 this is much better than any version of DP5 from my perspective.
Good Luck.
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
James Steele
Site Administrator

4.6 and OS 10.5 I know I know it's old! But I'm stuck! help

Post by James Steele »

I can't say for sure, but this doesn't surprise me that it's happening when something involving writing a file takes place. MOTU made some changes in DP 5 for the file system under Leopard I believe. Your only options may be to downgrade back to Tiger or upgrade DP.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
laurierobin

Post by laurierobin »

oh. Thanks... So DP 4.6 + leopard = bad idea. Is that pretty much it?

Also "upgrade to 7" I'm scared. I'm old. It is going to be a huge learning curve from where I am? and will it run pretty easy on my system without upgrading my operating system? I really hate to upgrade in the middle of a project and fail miserably.

Would anybody know where I should look to buy an old version of 5.1.3 with good installs on it?

Thanks much to you! I just found you today--I'm not really very tech savvy as you can see.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/motu-leop ... patibility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Digital Performer

Digital Performer 5.13 updater is required for Leopard compatibility... An existing DP 5.12 complete install is required for the 5.13 updater (i.e. the 5.13 updater is not a complete install).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
laurierobin

Post by laurierobin »

Thank you Mike and everyone. Very MUCH appreciated.

Regarding the DP upgrade:

Has anyone had any problems with the version 5 downloadable upgrade not installing? i.e.

A while ago I did a download from the MOTU website of the 5.12 update but I can't get that to work.

It shows up on my hard drive and did say that I needed a working version of DP that is there and functioning. But after the install, the DP program won't launch.

Also I called Motu last week and they don't have a 5.12 to sell me.

Regarding Upgrade to 7....any words of encouragement for a fraidiecat? Is it pretty self-explanatory for someone coming that far back?
Thanks in advance.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Just do it. 7 is great... I'm running it under Tiger 10.4.11 with a G5 Quad.

Once you figure out a few interface details (look for expose arrowheads, not mini-menus) you will find countless improvements.

DO NOT try to run DP4 or 5 from the same System drive onto which you install DP6 or 7. If in doubt, clone your system drive before doing the update. Then again, doesn't sound like its working too well for you now anyway. :wink:
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Well, your system is already not working properly, so you have not too much to lose at this point.

As it has been mentioned, DP7 is the best version ever, so I would take this opportunity to upgrade, if I were you.

There were some pretty big changes between 4.61 and 7.21, but nothing you can't get used to after a couple of weeks of studying and working on it.
Getting all the "What's New" PDFs, from 5.x to 7.21 would certainly help you know exactly what has changed...

DP 7 is so much better than 4.61 in so many ways I can't even begin to describe it. Go for it!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman