White Grand

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

jr213
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

White Grand

Post by jr213 »

Below is a reply from Sampletekk about White Grand. It actually makes me wonder, what would be the best format to convert to MachFive - Giga, EXS24, or Kontakt?

J.R.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: September 23, 2004 6:27:57 AM CDT
To: "'J.R.Taylor'" <jr@tayloraudio.com>
Subject: SV: MachFive

Hi J.R.

I haven't tried it myself, but Michael Cooper wrote an article in Mix Magazine where he imported different giga format instruments into Mach5, among them the White Grand. This is what he told me about what he did:

"I successfully imported and used White Grand on a dual-processor 867 MHz G4 using OS X 10.2.8 (I can't vouch for use under Panther) and an advance (very late-stage beta) copy of v1.2 MachFive. (MOTU told me on Friday they hope to produce a golden master of v1.2sometime today, Monday.) I first downloaded the WG content to my hard drive in OS X, did
a search for giga-file content in UVI-Xtract and then converted the WG preset files, with one caveat: UVI-Xtract cannot recognize the .gsp file. The workaround is to make each velocity preset (and release-sample preset, if you wish) a separate Part in MachFive, assign all WG Parts to the same MIDI channel, and then play the whole enchilada like you would a MIDI stack. For release samples, go into the List editor in MachFive's Display Area, select all samples, and choose "Off" (in the far right
column) for the trigger source for all release samples. I also found that WG needs a slightly smaller voice buffer size than the default setting (try the next lowest setting from default) in the new Preferences window in MachFive v1.2in order to avoid the otherwise occasional dropout. Doing all of the above, and with 1.8 GB of RAM, WG imported and streamed just fine in MachFive. "

Hope that this helps.

Best Regards
Per Larsson
SampleTekk

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: J.R.Taylor [mailto:jr@tayloraudio.com]
Skickat: den 20 september 2004 23:53
Till: sampletekk@sampletekk.com
Ämne: MachFive

Do you know if the White Grand in Giga format will work in MachFive?
Thanks.

J.R. Taylor
DP6.02, OSX.5.latest on Quad 2.66GHz MacPro w/ 3GB RAM, MOTU 828mkII, UAD-2 Duo, Altiverb, PSP, TriTone, Omnisphere, Komplete 5
musicarteca
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: White Grand

Post by musicarteca »

I don't know about the WG, but I can tell you for a fact that I have imported several Giga libraries to M5, and have not had any problems whatsoever. You have to take into account that some libraries have special performance features inherent only to Giga, and these obviously will not translate into M5, but in my experience the samples translate very well. I have not tried EX24 nor Kontakt.
Alex Rodriguez
Legato Productions
www.legatoproductions.com