SERIOUS DP and POWERCORE issues

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
draudio2u
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SERIOUS DP and POWERCORE issues

Post by draudio2u »

Hello,
Took delivery of a Powercore 6000 and cannot get it to run with DP. My system:
MacBook Pro Intel Duo 4 gig RAM OS 10.5.8 running Powercore on Fire Wire express card, Motu 896HD on other internal fw board.
Problem: All license and recognition of plugins go smooth. As soon as I try to insert a plug from the Powercore, whole system slows to a stuttering mess. Complete CPU spike.
Trials: changed the host multiplier on Powercore (up to x4), and DP, allocate as much CPU to DP. Nothing.
Error Messages: system finally crashes by releasing Powercore and stating "Connection between Powercore and Plugin failed". Once Powercore is released, DP runs smooth.

Anyone see this or have suggestions? I am at a loss here... :roll:
MacBook Pro FULL, 896HD, 828mkii, DP7... Just go to the web site and look at the pretty pictures ; )
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: SERIOUS DP and POWERCORE issues

Post by James Steele »

After loading the plug and doing ANYTHING, have you made sure that the plug in is set to run in realtime. Make sure that option is checked in the plug in window's mini-menu in the upper right.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Mark Walmsley

Post by Mark Walmsley »

It is working fine for me on Snow Leopard since I found the TC Beta software (sorry I'm at home at the moment and can't remember the actual beta version number). Prior to this it was making my Macpro hang on startup.
Mac-Pro 8 core 2010, OSX 10.9.5, Motu DP 8.07, Apollo firwire, TC Powercore Firewire. User since Performer on Macplus in 1988
draudio2u

Post by draudio2u »

I am thinking this is a communication error more than specific to DP since it also happens with Bias Peak (same system).
When I run the Powercore on my PC system, all is good and no problems there (Wavelab). Odd, usually the PC gives me the nightmares.
Could i be a conflict with the Belkin FW Express card? How are you physically connecting your devices? :?:
MacBook Pro FULL, 896HD, 828mkii, DP7... Just go to the web site and look at the pretty pictures ; )
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

Not doing anything remote... why a laptop? The one's having success are the MP users it seems. Sounds to me your just pounding that FW bus a bit with that gear you have.
greeny

Post by greeny »

There are many issues between Poco software version 4.0 and some of the main DAW's - DP included. TC is aware of them and has a legion of benevolent beta testers continuously reporting their findings on the latest (beta) version, which today is version 200 as far as I understand it.

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=6713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seems to be a long list of grievances - 12 pages as a matter of fact! - DP and Poco 4 share quite a few problems amongst themselves, unfortunately.

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=6472&p=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only time will tell how much longer the wait for Poco and DP users is going to be. TC seems to be taking the time necessary to fix things before the official release is due - and rightly so I believe.

I'll take the plunge with v.4 once the official version is released - no time for beta testing, system-corruptions and frustrations.

(famous quote):

"I'm not the only soul accused of hit and run.
Tire-tracks all across your back, and I can see you had your fun
But, darlin' , can't you see my signals turnin' green to red
and with you I can see a traffic jam straight up ahead!" (Jimi)

So much for Poco at the moment; I'll wait, thank you.
draudio2u

Success!

Post by draudio2u »

Success. Here are the solutions:
1. Tested the PC6K on my PC system with Wavelab. Load, authenticate, and worked just fine. I have a customized system from CubeTec, so locating the exact folder for the plugin to go was a bit confusing (hint - not the default location), but other than that, perfection.
2. Macintosh: I called up Belkin and confirmed that the Express card I am using is made with TI Chipset. This seems to be the culprit. I swapped the system around and placed the PC6K on the internal fire wire bus, and placed the audio interface on the express card. Reboot, load project, dial in 5 plugins and not a glitch to be heard or seen! CPU meter looked like it was board with what I was doing! Fantastic!
3. My third system is a Pyramix PC system that need to be upgraded before I load the PC6K, so I will report back on that one.

Finally, many complaints have been found on TC Powercore support, but I have to say I had very little if any problems with them. John at TC America was very helpful and spot on with diagnoses. Lesson once again learned, blogs are more venting than factual, take with a grain of salt. Cheers John and TC. I am excited to have you back in my studio! :mrgreen: