Using 2 828s with Vista 64?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
zerocrossing
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using 2 828s with Vista 64?

Post by zerocrossing »

Hello. I've got a quick question.

I'm using an 828 (mk1) on a Vista 64 machine and it works perfectly. Actually better than when I was running XP and I'd have to reboot it sometimes to get Live to see it. Anyway, for a long time I've been using a sub mixer so I can keep some of my synths hooked up but I'm toying with the idea of buying a second used 828 because I seem to remember you could piggy back them and get a total of 16 inputs instead of 8. Is anyone doing this? Doing it on Vista 64? Also, would it have to be an original 828 or would the mkII or III work as well?

Thanks
zerocrossing

Re: Using 2 828s with Vista 64?

Post by zerocrossing »

Hello?
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

Using multiple FireWire audio interfaces with Windows has not worked well for a long time. But if the second interface is an 828mkII or 828mk3, you can configure it to be a standalone A/D converter and connect it to the primary interface with an optical cable. Another option would be a device that is intended for that purpose, such as a MOTU 8pre.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

Thanks for the info. That indeed might solve my problem.