Time stretch 2 or more tracks at a time?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
skyboy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Time stretch 2 or more tracks at a time?

Post by skyboy »

Is it possible in DP 5.13 to time stretch 2 or more tracks simultaneously? I'm trying to stretch tracks where I used several mics on an instrument and want to keep everything in phase. I've been stretching them one at a time, zooming in all the way and just eyeballing it. But i figure there must be an easier and more precise method......

thanks!
http://www.thunderingsky.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thundering Sky Recording
South Berwick, Maine

Set-up: DP 7.24, Mac Pro Dual Core 2.66, 22 Gigs RAM, OS 10.6.8, UA 2192 primary converter and Master Clock, MOTU HD 192, Aurora 16, SPL Mixdream, UAD-2 Duo, UAD-Quad, Ivory, Altiverb, PSP, ADD, Sound Soap Pro, Live, Toast, ProTools 9, Omnisphere,
FMiguelez

Re: Time stretch 2 or more tracks at a time?

Post by FMiguelez »

Haven't tried it, but I'd assume if you select them and use the horizontal hand tool, they both would stretch together.

OR, try grouping the tracks together.

Please try and report back.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Booter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Booter »

Select the audio in question and use scale time in the region menu.
Digital Performer 2.7 - 8.0, Logic 9, PT 8, MacBook Pro Core i7 16 gig, Quad Mac Pro 6 gig, Mac Mini 2 gig, Roland XP-50, Kurzweil K2000, MOTU 2408 MK3, MOTU Mach 5 II, Ethno
martian

Post by martian »

or if you dont like the maths - then put a mark where u need em both to go

turn on snap to markers - they should snap to mark as u pull them out one at a time...

it would be a nice addition if the "stretchie hand" could be custom keyed...
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

martian wrote:or if you dont like the maths - then put a mark where u need em both to go

turn on snap to markers - they should snap to mark as u pull them out one at a time...

it would be a nice addition if the "stretchie hand" could be custom keyed...
Nice tip.

But what do you mean in your last sentence? You don't need a custom key... you just put the cursor towards the upper right part of the SB and you will get it. But I know you would know that... so I don't think I understand what you want. Please clarify.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
skyboy

Post by skyboy »

Thanks for the suggestions.

FMigelez, selecting both tracks (in the Sequence Editor) and pulling with the "stretchie hand" doesn't work. Only the soundbite you're pulling stretches.

The Snap to marker method sounds good........I'll try it.

Thanks again!
http://www.thunderingsky.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thundering Sky Recording
South Berwick, Maine

Set-up: DP 7.24, Mac Pro Dual Core 2.66, 22 Gigs RAM, OS 10.6.8, UA 2192 primary converter and Master Clock, MOTU HD 192, Aurora 16, SPL Mixdream, UAD-2 Duo, UAD-Quad, Ivory, Altiverb, PSP, ADD, Sound Soap Pro, Live, Toast, ProTools 9, Omnisphere,
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

skyboy wrote: FMigelez, selecting both tracks (in the Sequence Editor) and pulling with the "stretchie hand" doesn't work. Only the soundbite you're pulling stretches.
How did you select them? Did you just click on the SBs, or did you do a time-range selection?

Martian's method sounds great to me too. Maybe it's the better one.
Heck, I will try it myself next time I need to do this.

martian

Post by martian »

well I found that I often need to use the "z" key to get close enough in to be assured of getting the stretch tool - so I meant that it would be nice if we could double tap a key and the stretch tool came on -much like the Mute sound bite or scissor etc...

I have assigned an easier key stroke to snap to markers...
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

martian

Post by martian »

the easiest way for me and my muscle memory to place a mark is a combination of keystrokes..

first i click the insertion point into the track containign the clip i wanna but up to... ( easy ladies )

i then hit the tab key - this moves insertion point to next event... I then put the pause on "2" on num pad ... hitting control space will bring the wiper to that postion - I can now hit enter on the num pad ( is that my keystroke or default?) and a marker is inserted.. de-activate the pause..

u can skip the pause if u r quick on the control space - then spce to stop..

of course it would be great to have a add marker at insertion point...

thats one of the complicated things with DP.. is wiper or insertion point applicable?

Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Eliminating the need to pause would be to enable auto-return before doing the whole thing.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't have DP up at the moment, and I'm not working in a file with lots of soundbites yet. (still in MIDI stages of this one) But would using the Control-Key help with multiple time-stretching? (all going to the same endpoint)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Track Grouping to the rescue. I've time-stretched or -compressed many a multi-track drum recording in one operation this way.
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

Is there a tutorial anywhere for Time Stretching? I've read the manual a bunch of times but I'm just thick headed about getting a hold of that. I saw a friend of mine stretch drums on an out-of-sync fill and it worked just perfect (elastic audio?) Anyway I guess I just don't get it so if anyone can point me in the right direction I wold appreciate it.

Just ignore this if it's is a hijack and thread is going to keep going on the specific question.
2012 Mac Pro 12 Core, OS 10.8.5, 64 gigs ram; 2408 (3), 308, DP 8.07 http://www.daveconnor.net