studio monitors???

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
sdfalk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: studio monitors???

Post by sdfalk »

I've got the M-Audio BX-5..Love em.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
tfillingi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by tfillingi »

JBL 4312's here,
Had them a long time and still sound great.
abe_lincoln78

Post by abe_lincoln78 »

i'd suggest the Alesis monitor-1. I don't have it though (i can't even afford a computer with enough power to record and an input device that actually works), but i hear it got great reviews... and they don't cost your right arm iether.
He said now son, your gonna drive me to drinkin, if you don't stop drivin that hot . rod . lincoln

My father ;)
Studio615

Post by Studio615 »

I have to disagree with the last post. I had a pair of monitor 1 alesis monitors, and I was powering them with the matching alesis power amp. I had nothing but problems using them, horribly inaccurate. I was always fighting them to get a good accurate mix. I went to guitar center and after 2 hours of listening, I went with the KRK Rokit series monitors. They are incredibly easy to mix with, and were only $500 for the pair. And they are self powered. If you need a great set of monitors, I highly recommend them.
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz (15"), 828mkII, rockit 8 monitors, and lots of coffee on those long late night sessions.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

I have a pair of BX-8s recorded an album on them took it to a top mastering house ($200 an hour) and the guy says to me what kind of monitors do you use they are ok don't change them. I very happy with them
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
alterdigital

Post by alterdigital »

Event, very nice. Even the little ones, the PS6 and 8's are remarkable, as long as you add a sub.
fyrshroud

Post by fyrshroud »

Used to use the BX5s, had major problems mixing with them, boxy sounding and muddy. Switched to NHT Pro A-10s and they work just beautifully. I think the A-10s are discontinued but they still have the A-20s. A tad on the pricier range but well worth the expenditure.
Fyrshroud
SD Productions
Circuitt

Post by Circuitt »

unless you can afford, like 3grand for the top notch
monitors, go for the 20/20 Events.
they can handle lows as well.
those and some akg 240's u will be all set.
kennyd03

Post by kennyd03 »

I have a pair of Yorkville YSM-1p's that I got for around $450 and I've been extremely happy with them. They are a terriffic bang for the buck and I've had nothing but great feedback on the mixes I've done with them.

All "budget" speakers have some deficiencies. I think it's a matter of finding the right match of monitors to your room (speakers can sound radically different in various environments) and learning their harmonic quirks.
glmusic

Post by glmusic »

The latest issue of EQ magazine has a detailed review of 6 pairs of monitors for under 600.00 and they really like the Event TR8 XL over all the others by a convincing margin.
Giga Designs Dual 1.33
1.5 RAM, ATI 9600, OSX.44
ATTO UL3D RAID
Metric Halo 2882+DSP
MOTU Micro Express USB
DP 4.61, Tracktion 2.1
glmusic

Post by glmusic »

Sorry, that was Electronic Musician, not EQ.
Giga Designs Dual 1.33
1.5 RAM, ATI 9600, OSX.44
ATTO UL3D RAID
Metric Halo 2882+DSP
MOTU Micro Express USB
DP 4.61, Tracktion 2.1
ElectroLuddite

Post by ElectroLuddite »

I have a new set of Tannoys active reveals - and also the ps 110 subwoofer - love em...quiting the buiness any interested in purchasing? excellent shape.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I have a pair of BX-8s recorded an album on them took it to a top mastering house ($200 an hour) and the guy says to me what kind of monitors do you use they are ok don't change them. I very happy with them
RE: BX8's

How do you setup the curve switches?
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
UprightJoe

Post by UprightJoe »

I also have the M-audio BX-8. I took a more experienced engineer with me to two different music stores and listed to about 30 different pairs of monitors with CD's we were familiar with. Nothing we listened to under $1100 beat them.
How do you setup the curve switches?
I can't remember how the positions are marked. Listen to a CD with lots of low bass stuff happening. What it really boils down to is, one setting is good for the monitors in a corner, one is good for the monitors against a wall, and one is good for the monitors free standing. The bassiest setting should be for the free-standing monitors the one with the least bass should be best for having monitors in a corner.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

i have the roland ds90 and i must say they suck!i am saving $$ to get event monitors EM wrote up as a best pick a few months back($1400 a pair)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........