Sample Rate Conversion on Export?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bigcityrecording
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Sample Rate Conversion on Export?

Post by bigcityrecording »

Am I missing something or is there no way to export a file from the soundbites window and simultaneously sample rate convert it?

It's possible I'm just not seeing it...

Somebody show me the light!

thanks
Paul Tavenner
Big City Recording Studios
Man Alive Music Productions
Los Angeles, CA
Bowman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sample Rate Conversion on Export?

Post by Bowman »

Select Core Audio Export from the Soundbites window (any of the formats listed) and a window appears with many options, including sample rate and bit depth.

Bowman.
iMac Intel Core i5 3.2ghz - 16gb RAM - OSX 10.10.5 - DP 9.01 - Mach Five 3.2.1 - Ethno Instrument 2.0.3 - Kontakt 5.4.3 - 4pre - 828 original - micro express
bigcityrecording

part of the streamlining, I guess.... I was used to being able to pick any type file. In the past, if you choose simply "AIFF", it would give you a box with all the options. Now, it just copies it immediately...

I'll try core audio...

thanks!
Paul Tavenner
Los Angeles, CA
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Bravo, Bowman!

Congrats, Big T.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Actually, I think it's a two-part process (at least in 5 and 6) -- you have options that appear on "Bounce To Disk" and I think the dithering controls are in Prefs. I've never used DP's built-in conversion process, however, so it could be different than it currently appears in my head.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Armageddon wrote:Actually, I think it's a two-part process (at least in 5 and 6) -- you have options that appear on "Bounce To Disk" and I think the dithering controls are in Prefs. I've never used DP's built-in conversion process, however, so it could be different than it currently appears in my head.
No to the dithering part. You have to add a dither in the master buss section, post fader.

Ps Unless they have changed this in 7 and I'm behind the times
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
bigcityrecording

I only use the SRC on export to make reference or rough mixes for clients to have at the end of a session.... For proper dithering, etc., I apply this in mastering stage...

It's just nice to have a quick and dirty way to transfer files out of dp for CDr's, although I could also simply import high def files into iTunes which converts. I don't know which is better sounding and it kind of doesn't matter for my purposes at that point....
Paul Tavenner
Los Angeles, CA
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

kassonica wrote:No to the dithering part. You have to add a dither in the master buss section, post fader.

Ps Unless they have changed this in 7 and I'm behind the times
I wasn't referring to where you would place your dithering, I was referring to where DP allows you to select whether or not to include dithering in your bounce function. I can't remember exactly, but it seems to me that, in DP 5, you had to set up your dithering in Prefs, independent of your Bounce To Disk window. This actually had the added confusion of having to set up your Soundbite sample rate and bit depth in these same Prefs, whereas most DAWs arbitrarily record in the same sample rate and bit depth that your project is set to. Thankfully, this was fixed in 6. Sometimes, DP can be too flexible ...

I've never bounced out of a Project file with any sort of sample rate or bit depth conversion, preferring to do this in the mastering stage in a wave editor (in my case, it's literally Wave Editor). I feel this gives me more flexibility in my mastering options; I don't have to go back into DP and re-bounce an entire mix if I change my mind about my mastering chain.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page