Instrument bundles/channel assignments are inconsistent

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Instrument bundles/channel assignments are inconsistent

Post by Shooshie »

Umm... peccoz, have you read the DP manual?

It would be so unlikely to have all these problems if you installed DP correctly and read the manual about operating it. There are only a few legitimate possibilities at this point:

1: bad RAM
2: bad MAC
3: bad HD

The fourth, of course, I'd rather not consider: bad user. :roll:

Surely you've managed to get something to work by now. You can't do clean installs of your system and DP on a working computer and have this kind of failure in DP7. At least, not to my knowledge. If you ever figure out your problem, feel free to post your solution. Meanwhile, have you considered taking up a game, or Photoshop, or something? I think you need a break from DP after the days and days of continually reinstalling your system, pulling out your hair, troubleshooting, and posting about your problems rapid-fire here at the forum. You must be a nervous wreck!

Good luck!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
peccoz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by peccoz »

Hi Shooshie,

as I wrote in my other thread, sorry if I got carried away and started rapid fire posting- I know it's extremely annoying! I've been working just fine with DP for 5 years (definitively not a lot compared to many here, but I'm learning everyday!) and just got a mac pro, big investment, and have a project of bigger scope coming up- all these things got me a bit nervous. I do realize that the forum shouldn't be used, however, as a place for just venting. :oops:

Right now, DP5 and 6 (not to mention every other application, plugin, etc) work great on the machine, with dp6 being slightly more unstable. But that's all I need, so I'll shut up for a while :D (and have I mentioned that working on an 8 core after years of laptop-powered sequencing is a dream?!)

And you are very right about suggesting I stop worrying about this for a while! Result: DJ Hero evening, heck yes :D

All the best,

Filippo
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Filippo:

This is the best place in the internet to get info about MOTU, particularly about DP.
It's just that when one encounters a stubborn problem, one tries "everything", one asks around, but the problem persists, it's easy to lose sight of the forest for staring at the trees (this happens to me ALL the time). Sometimes taking a step back will reveal the problem being something almost obvious... at least unexpected.

Since you deleted DP files, installed and uninstalled versions, etc., and things still don't work, I would, at this point, just kill the HD and reinstall everything from scratch, including the OS. Make sure you have the latest MOTU drivers.
This will give you a clean slate and a fresh system where things will be easier to make work, or this will help you reveal something more buried (hardware issues).

You may also want to run hardware tests on your Mac (before reinstalling). As Shooshie mentioned, make sure all your RAM and HDs are working fine. If all the steps that have been suggested here don't make things work, then I'd definitely go ahead and start from zero again. I know it's annoying, but it definitely beats what you are going through now.

Let us know how it goes.

Die rohen koepfe und die blutigen knochen (Siouxsie and the Banshees) :)

BTW, Deutschland ist der hammer!
Cheers, mein freund.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

peccoz wrote:Hi Shooshie,

as I wrote in my other thread, sorry if I got carried away and started rapid fire posting- I know it's extremely annoying! I've been working just fine with DP for 5 years (definitively not a lot compared to many here, but I'm learning everyday!) and just got a mac pro, big investment, and have a project of bigger scope coming up- all these things got me a bit nervous. I do realize that the forum shouldn't be used, however, as a place for just venting. :oops:

Right now, DP5 and 6 (not to mention every other application, plugin, etc) work great on the machine, with dp6 being slightly more unstable. But that's all I need, so I'll shut up for a while :D (and have I mentioned that working on an 8 core after years of laptop-powered sequencing is a dream?!)

And you are very right about suggesting I stop worrying about this for a while! Result: DJ Hero evening, heck yes :D

All the best,

Filippo

Filipo, please forgive my comment about reading the manual. When someone seems to be inundated in problems they can't fix, it often points to a beginner user who really doesn't know how to set things up in DP. But you've been using it for 5 years, so that's obviously not the problem. I do hope you get it straightened out. If you get any new clues, do feel free to come back and post them here; you never know when just the one odd little bit of information will trigger an intuitive response in the right person at the right time. But if things are just freaking out totally for you on DP7, I assure you that the app itself is fine. It may have some problems (all apps do), but in general the response around here has been "best new release version ever." (best DP x.0 version ever)

Best wishes,

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
fsheinfeld

Post by fsheinfeld »

I can confirm the same bundles issue here. Using DP6.02
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Shooshie,

No offense taken- in fact I didn't even introduce myself properly at the forum, so it's only natural that one doesn't know if I even bothered reading the manual! DP7 remains still problematic, however things run super smoothly with 5, and the only issue dp6 has is that bundle thing (which doesn't happen if you don't use V-racks, so that's just a matter of using clippings in the future!)

Fmiguelez, vielen Dank für deine Hilfe und netten Worte, und ja, Deutschland ist wirklich der Hammer ;)

I'm super happy I found this forum, not only for these technical issues: I found many interesting "OT" topics here as well!

All the best,

Filippo
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Hey all,

so everything is fixed- Dp6 and 7 work great (7 especially is a dream), stable, just really nice to work with. However, I still seem to not be able to assign audio outputs to VI's without having them "reset" to some other unrelated outs (Kontakt, for instance, switches out "kontakt 3-4", "kontakt 5-6" etc. with "Ableton out 13-14", etc.) or or just be greyed out. Sure, I can still assign them manually, but who wants to do that with a full orchestra template?!

I tried clippings (which are a great way of working, BTW!), but that didn't seem to work, also importing "fresh" bundles.. somehow, DP always mis-assigns the outs of my vi's! This doesn't happen in DP5 BTW.

Thanks guys!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hey, Filippo.

Glad you are digging DP7, man.

Re: your bundles issue, you mentioned you've tried Clippings for this.
So are you saying that even if you correct all your inputs and outputs first, and then put these corrected tracks into a Clipping, DP STILL changes their I/O when you drag the Clipping back into the TO??

That would be VERY surprising! I see no reason for DP to mess up the input/output settings for your tracks, especially not if they were dragged from the Clipping window :?
peccoz wrote:Sure, I can still assign them manually, but who wants to do that with a full orchestra template?!
You do know about the Option-A trick to assign many tracks' I/O in one shot, correct?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
michkhol

Post by michkhol »

I have the same problem in DP7.02 and Vienna Ensemble Pro. I have two instances of VE Pro plugin, one behaves correctly and the other shifts its outputs to the nearby Reason channels when disabled or on project close and never gets them back. So instead of Winds3-4 I get Reason38-39 every time. The other instance outputs just disappear when it's disabled.
MacPro, 32 GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN8
macOS 13.6.3, DP 11.3
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Hi guys,

quick update about the situation! I decided that I wanted to get rid of every DP version except 7.02, to make some room and have some better overview over why the bundles behave weirdly. Result: I put on dp 7.02, made a fresh bundle set with all my vi's, making sure they are assigned correctly, and everything works :D

except.. Vienna Ensemble. The outputs just don't seem to load correctly, please see the image below.
http://www.fbpsound.net/bundleproblem.jpg

I tried assigning them anyways, but they are just all over the place (not sequential, some mght be output 3, some output 15, some outputs aren't even there). I'm curious if anyone experienced this!

Thanks ;)
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Ok! reinstalling VE didn't solve the fact that the VI outputs don't have any numbers, but they're sequential. Now however, once everything is set up and I play some of the instruments inside VE, all is fine..

http://www.fbpsound.net/bundles_ok.jpg

..until I disengage the MIDI tracks to go to another vi, in which case DP freezes for a split second and the bundles look like this..

http://www.fbpsound.net/bundle_crash.jpg

really curious if anyone knows what's going on!

Thanks again,

Filippo
martian

Post by martian »

regarding the templates - i found in the past was just easier to make my own "templates"

more like empty projects - i would open them and the first thing I would do was save as and duplicate...

this removed a lot of the annoyances that you were experiencing.

good luck with your new 8 core - I am on a 3 year old mac pro 3 gHZ - and its still pulling the load well! so you should be right for a few years!
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Hi!

After working a bit at the problem, I realized that turning off the "pre-render" option in the audio plugins menu solved the "moved audio bundles" issue- EVERYTHING is fine now, ahh beautiful! :)

I guess pre-rendering is not really working together with VE that well, at least on my machine. Thanks for all the replies, I'm off to making music :)