Can I run two Firewire interfaces simultaneously?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I run two Firewire interfaces simultaneously?

Post by rosindabow »

I am running a Mac OS X 10.5.8 and would like to record 32 tracks at once. I have an 896 mk3 running with two 8pres (24 tracks) and an original 828 interface with an 8 channel Mackie Onyx mic pre. I cannot seem to see the 828 in my MOTU Audio setup and I cannot get that interface to respond. Any ideas? I've downloaded the latest drivers from MOTU - no help. I need to get this done ASAP! Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
mcoyles

Re: Can I run two Firewire interfaces simultaneously?

Post by mcoyles »

plug the 896 in, daisychain an 8pre to it by firewire. Run the 828 & the other 8pre into the 896 by optical... and the onyx into the firewire'd 8pre by optical. should work... but I'm presently drunk, so I could be wrong.
L8rs...
Marci
donreynolds

Re: Can I run two Firewire interfaces simultaneously?

Post by donreynolds »

You can daisy chain one to the other or hook them up to separate firewire connections.
You have to go to your DP setup/ studio configure audio system window and shift click and select both units in order for it to show up in DP selection.
Go to your Mac system preferences and select sound. Then select aggregate device in the input. I have mine set that way and it works great.. I am running x 2 896 HD's. One is used for drum inputs and the other is used for GTRs and Vocals. I can record 16 channels at once.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)