DP7 & Soundbite Names

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rthorderson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP7 & Soundbite Names

Post by rthorderson »

So, ya know how when you record something, it uses the TRACK name as the SOUNDBITE name? My DP7 stopped doing that...now when the track is named "Piano" and I record something on that track, the resulting soundbite is named "Audio-1" (something like that), instead of "Piano"

I thought maybe an option drives this, but I couldn't find anything.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It is not the end of the world but it makes it much more difficult to find which soundbites belong to which parts at a glance.
Randy Thorderson
www.randythorderson.com

Ξ DP8.0 Ξ OS X 10.8.4 64-bit on SSD Ξ MacPro3.1 8-core 2.26GHz Ξ 18GB Ram Ξ 2408mkII w/ 424e Ξ
Ξ NI: Kontakt 5.0, Scarbee (MM, Jay, Pre), AK Piano, B4 II Ξ RealGuitar 3.0 Ξ ModArt Pianoteq Studio 4 Ξ
Ξ Garritan GPO4 & JABB3 Ξ Vir2 Mojo 1.2.1 Ξ Arturia V-Collection, Analog Factory, Analog Lab Ξ MX4 2.2 Ξ
Ξ MachFive3 Ξ Superior Drummer 2 Ξ SSD 3.5 Ξ NomadFactory ProdPack II Ξ Sonalksis Multi-Limit Ξ VEP5 Ξ
wurliuchi

Re: DP7 & Soundbite Names

Post by wurliuchi »

In the Audio Monitor's Mini Menu you can set track names based on Track, Input or Custom.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Frodo »

wurliuchi wrote:In the Audio Monitor's Mini Menu you can set track names based on Track, Input or Custom.
THAT is a brilliant new option which I'd not heard about (still waiting for DP7 on this end).

Ah, it's the little things. :P
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
rthorderson

Post by rthorderson »

wurliuchi wrote:In the Audio Monitor's Mini Menu you can set track names based on Track, Input or Custom.
Excellent...I don't think I would have EVER found that. I am not in front of my DP7 to test, but the manual says that the option controls the TakeFile name...I was hunting for something about SoundBite name...silly me. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Thanks!
Randy Thorderson
www.randythorderson.com

Ξ DP8.0 Ξ OS X 10.8.4 64-bit on SSD Ξ MacPro3.1 8-core 2.26GHz Ξ 18GB Ram Ξ 2408mkII w/ 424e Ξ
Ξ NI: Kontakt 5.0, Scarbee (MM, Jay, Pre), AK Piano, B4 II Ξ RealGuitar 3.0 Ξ ModArt Pianoteq Studio 4 Ξ
Ξ Garritan GPO4 & JABB3 Ξ Vir2 Mojo 1.2.1 Ξ Arturia V-Collection, Analog Factory, Analog Lab Ξ MX4 2.2 Ξ
Ξ MachFive3 Ξ Superior Drummer 2 Ξ SSD 3.5 Ξ NomadFactory ProdPack II Ξ Sonalksis Multi-Limit Ξ VEP5 Ξ
wurliuchi

Post by wurliuchi »

Frodo wrote:
THAT is a brilliant new option which I'd not heard about (still waiting for DP7 on this end).

Ah, it's the little things. :P
Surprise, Frodo. It's not new. It's been there since I don't know when. Way back. Though I'm not sure when they included the Custom setting. I didn't even know that was there until I went to look in order to answer this post correctly. Mine has always been set to Track name. I'm on 6.02.

Randy, I agree it's kind of in a weird place. But since you can set take folders from the Audio Monitor, I suppose it makes some sense.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Audio Monitor is one of those windows I never use. So when someone comes up with a solution that involves the Audio Monitor window, my response is usually, "I didn't know that!" I can't get over how little I know about this program.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Phil O wrote:Audio Monitor is one of those windows I never use. So when someone comes up with a solution that involves the Audio Monitor window, my response is usually, "I didn't know that!" I can't get over how little I know about this program.

Phil
The discovery never ends. I just checked 5.13 and the three options are indeed there. It's odd, I use the Audio Monitor but never had to check the Mini Menu. I just open it to make sure that audio is being properly bussed and is not clipping.

The more I learn, the dumber I get.
wurliuchi

Post by wurliuchi »

Frodo wrote:The more I learn, the dumber I get.
I wish I was as dumb as you! :wink:
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

wurliuchi wrote:
Be careful what you ask for! :shock:

No, when I opened DP 5.13 and found it there, I actually felt embarrassed that I'd never stumbled across this feature. The Audio Monitor is a curious place for it, though. I would think that the Soundbites or SE windows would be more likely locations since that's where track names are most frequently observed and managed. But what do I know?

BTW--Congrats on your 1000th post!!
wurliuchi

Post by wurliuchi »

Frodo wrote:
wurliuchi wrote:
Be careful what you ask for! :shock:

No, when I opened DP 5.13 and found it there, I actually felt embarrassed that I'd never stumbled across this feature. The Audio Monitor is a curious place for it, though. I would think that the Soundbites or SE windows would be more likely locations since that's where track names are most frequently observed and managed. But what do I know?

BTW--Congrats on your 1000th post!!
I came across it by necessity when I had to rebuild a project and I freaked out when all the soundbites were named after the inputs, and none of the time stamps worked. Errr! I ended up re-tracking the project but vowed I'd find a better way in case it happened again. Thankfully, there was a better way.

Thank you on the 1000th post congrats. I didn't realize. Nine of them may have been helpful, the other nine hundred and ninety-one were a cry for help, and you and others were kind enough to help, so thank you all!
Last edited by wurliuchi on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

This forum is just beauty... naming schemes in DP...there for so long...me unaware... orderfreak as I am... I´ll be using this.
I didn´t even notice there was a minimenu in the Audio monitor window :lol:
Thanks.
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
rthorderson

Post by rthorderson »

Do I get any props for posting the issue? I mean the feeble-minded have their place in this world too!

12 posts and counting! :wink:
Randy Thorderson
www.randythorderson.com

Frodo

Post by Frodo »

rthorderson wrote:Do I get any props for posting the issue? I mean the feeble-minded have their place in this world too!

12 posts and counting! :wink:

You're top of the heap, RT!!

Thanks! 8)