DP5 problem

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
phantom power
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP5 problem

Post by phantom power »

I just got a used copy of DP and installed it on my -new-to-me- intel iMac 2.4g.

When I go to open it, I get an instant "unexpected quit" before it even tries to open. I've tried a reinstall and it didn't help.

Any ideas? What should I try?

Thanks
-AE
Last edited by phantom power on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP5 problem

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Was this from the original DP 5 install disk or a copy? The installation must be from the original DP 5 disk. Also, did you get thru the authorization process (entered key code, etc) or was that step not showing up on the install.

I would delete all DP 5 files and try installing again. Also, DP 5.13 was the last solid version of that release. You'll have to change the registration to your name at MOTU (by phone only) to access that version.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
phantom power

Post by phantom power »

Yeah it's from the original install disk, but it didn't give me the registration option.

I'll zap the DP5 folder and try again.

Thanks
-AE
MIDI Life Crisis

If you don't get the registration (key code request) then something is wrong with the disk (or it may be a clever copy - which won't install).

If the problem persists, you will need the serial # and key code, and you'll have to call MOTU to change the registration. They will then send you a DP 5 replacement disk and access to the online updates, although they will probably ship DP 5.13 on the install disk.

There is NO WAY around the key code registration.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

5.0 won't run on an Intel machine, and if you don't have a legit copy you won't be able to upgrade to the UB version.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
phantom power

Post by phantom power »

It's a legit version with original box and manual. I got it off eBay from a seller with thousands of transactions and 100% feedback. He said it can be registered and upgraded. Hopefully I don't have to be his first negative feedback.

If this seller is telling the truth, should I be able to call Motu and get the update to 5.13? Will it be free? If not, maybe I'll be forced to shell out for the DP6 upgrade. I guess I've been looking for a good reason anyway.

Thanks for the replies.
-AE
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

phantom power wrote:It's a legit version with original box and manual. I got it off eBay from a seller with thousands of transactions and 100% feedback. He said it can be registered and upgraded. Hopefully I don't have to be his first negative feedback.

If this seller is telling the truth, should I be able to call Motu and get the update to 5.13? Will it be free? If not, maybe I'll be forced to shell out for the DP6 upgrade. I guess I've been looking for a good reason anyway.

Thanks for the replies.
-AE
phantom,
if *he* was the legit owner and he was registered with MOTU, *he* has to contact them (MOTU) to have the legit registration transferred to you. Once you are the registered owner, you can upgrade to the 5.13 universal binary version for no charge - - then, perhaps, upgrade to DP6 for the same charge as all of the rest of us.
however, if "he", the seller, is not willing to mess with it, I'd consider trying to return it to him. My experience wtih MOTU has been that they are very good/helpful about transferring registrations/ownership, but it always has to the the current registrant that intiates the process.
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

If the software was never registered, you can go to the MOTU site, create an account and try to register the product. You'll need the serial number which is not the same as the key code. It should be on a registration card inside the front cover that is part of the manual. If it registers, then the 5.13 download will be available. If you don't have the serial number and/or it's been previously registered, then you'll have to contact the seller.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

NazRat wrote:I If it registers, then the 5.13 download will be available.
Make sure you don't skip the incremental upgrades between 5.0 and 5.13
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

cuttime wrote:
NazRat wrote:I If it registers, then the 5.13 download will be available.
Make sure you don't skip the incremental upgrades between 5.0 and 5.13

******NOTE THIS*******
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

I bought Mach 5 2 off off Ebay. The seller must contact MOTU. They were very helpful. I needed the sellers name.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Not to get snarky here, but did the eBay guy give you the manual this time? The only complete DP 5 sales in recent history on eBay were these two:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-performer-5 ... 286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTU-DIGITAL-PERFOR ... 353wt_1137

The latter stating transfer of registration on purchase, so since that was apparently not done, we can assume it was either the former (who doesn't have 1000s of feedback reports at 100% but only a few dozen) or you delayed installing the app for a while and the eBay sale dropped off the map. That's your business, of course. The puzzling part to me is the fact that you never got the registration page, which doesn't usually allow you to even attempt the install unless you have the key code from the manual. So somehow it got installed on your system bypassing that part of the process - which is very strange indeed. In light of previous posts (see below) I have to say this is a little suspicious.

The following thread from 2007 is quoted below: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 59#p174959
by phantom power on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:21 pm wrote:How do I merge SBs?

I went to the SB window and highlighted all the ones I wanted (it was just 4 tracks live so they all started at the same time). Then I went to 'Audio' and the 'merge soundbites' option was grayed out. Did I do it wrong?

Also, in the event that I have tracks starting at different times, how would I go about getting them to all start at zero?

Sorry, I don't have the manual.

Thanks -AE
by MIDI Life Crisis on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:38 pm wrote:
phantom power wrote:
Sorry, I don't have the manual.

Thanks -AE
That could be a problem.
by phantom power on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:00 pm wrote:Lost it. One too many moves.

At the risk of sounding completely ignorant, I found it to be not very user friendly anyway. I bought that ignite book and it's better in some areas, but it leaves alot out too.

I guess it's time I upgrade to the world of DP5 and get a new manual sometime soon.

-AE
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
phantom power

Post by phantom power »

Not to get snarky back, but you're quite the detective. Sorry to stir up your suspicions, but those posts are almost 2 years old and a lot has happened in my life since. That's all I'll say about that.

Anyway, it was this one: DP5 on ebay

Apparently, the seller (who has 100s of transactions not 1000s -sorry) never registered it himself, because once I registered at MOTU and installed all the incremental updates, it finally asked me for the keycode. All is well now. I'm still thinking about DP6 though. I've been able to use it at a friends studio and I loved the track comping and leveler.

Thanks to everyone who helped.
-AE