How many 5.13 people waiting to upgrade?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jpiscitello
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: How many 5.13 people waiting to upgrade?

Post by jpiscitello »

I held off because of the lack of compatibility with Spectrasonics plugs, but the update to Omnisphere plus the need to do a project at 23.976 fps made me upgrade.

Actually, things were quite stable, as long as I did projects without significant 3rd party VIs. I ran MachFive2, Ethno, and BFD2 without many problems, a 75-minute project with about 40 chunks. Waves was solid.

When I've used Omnisphere, bets are off. And tonight I've got a real small project, a chunk with literally 2 tracks in it, and the thing has been crashing all night wasting my time.

Hints of the bad updates of the past, (remember Performer 5?) though not quite as severe. DP6 has some benefits, Leveler and Proverb were badly needed types of improvements. I find the update to the UI has slowed the program down - things refresh slowly.

Meanwhile Pro Tools is rock solid, which is why it gets used in so many studios. You don't want to be the flaky place that runs on DP and starts crashing while clients are waiting.
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Frodo »

jpiscitello wrote:I held off because of the lack of compatibility with Spectrasonics plugs, but the update to Omnisphere plus the need to do a project at 23.976 fps made me upgrade.

Actually, things were quite stable, as long as I did projects without significant 3rd party VIs. I ran MachFive2, Ethno, and BFD2 without many problems, a 75-minute project with about 40 chunks. Waves was solid.

When I've used Omnisphere, bets are off. And tonight I've got a real small project, a chunk with literally 2 tracks in it, and the thing has been crashing all night wasting my time.

Hints of the bad updates of the past, (remember Performer 5?) though not quite as severe. DP6 has some benefits, Leveler and Proverb were badly needed types of improvements. I find the update to the UI has slowed the program down - things refresh slowly.

Meanwhile Pro Tools is rock solid, which is why it gets used in so many studios. You don't want to be the flaky place that runs on DP and starts crashing while clients are waiting.

What's your system, jp?

interface, os version, cpu/computer model, RAM-- etc.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
TOD

Post by TOD »

Still on 5.13 and Tiger on my G5 dual 1.42.

Too many projects and deadlines to risk losing stability. All signs on this board indicate there are still significant issues with 6 for "some" users and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as it looks like it happens on G5's and Intels.

I HAVE to upgrade my puter this summer cause the G5 is getting long in the teeth and I'm afraid it could die any time.

I plan on sticking with 5.13 when I go to the Intel and Leopard.

Tod
DP 5.13 dual G5 2.7 synced to dual 1.42 via SMPTE, Muse Receptor (filled with Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Atmosphere, Elektrik piano, Disco DSP), OSX.410, Ableton LIVE, Apogee Big Ben, Apogee mini DAC, MachV, Symphonic, Ethno, M-Tron, Mx-4,Latigo, Jupiter Vi, iDrum, Microtonic, Kontakt3, Bassline, Bassline Pro, Ultra Focus, Novation Basstation, Novation Drum Station, Nord Lead2, JD-990, EMU Proteus, Orbit 2, MicroKorg, UAD, Poco, Altiverb, VW2, Waves, Ozone, to name a few :)
Splinter

Post by Splinter »

frankymax wrote:Splinter- I was also having some daily crashes with my Waves Musician 2 package on DP 513; then I installed the waves 6 software and shazam, no more crashes!
I am running Waves 6.0, but maybe I upgraded after that project... I can't remember. Anyone else having problems with Waves 6.0 and DP 5.13? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it might be reassuring to me knowing 5.13 is more stable than I'm experiencing.
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Splinter,

FWIW I'm still using using waves 5.x on with no problems at all. You have A LOT of different plug ins - I know its a drag but you might want to add them one by one to see where the trouble is.

B
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

still on 5.13 here, and i've also already bought 6
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

It makes me sad to see such a disorganized release of DP...

Maybe I am just dreaming, but wouldn't it be nice to see DP upgrade from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7 and just effing work?....

But no, it is always like this..."roll the dice"..take yer chances"...

Search the bulletin boards for hints at what works and what doesn't....

AY YI YI!!!!!!!!!!

I am staying put in 5.13 until DP 6 works like a professional program..in other words....IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

toodamnhip wrote:It makes me sad to see such a disorganized release of DP...

Maybe I am just dreaming, but wouldn't it be nice to see DP upgrade from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7 and just effing work?....

But no, it is always like this..."roll the dice"..take yer chances"...

Search the bulletin boards for hints at what works and what doesn't....

AY YI YI!!!!!!!!!!

I am staying put in 5.13 until DP 6 works like a professional program..in other words....IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!
Too true

Don't start me on there converters ATM either :evil:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
waxman

Post by waxman »

I was having many crashes when I first installed 10.5. 7. that went on for a couple weeks. The last 5 days I have worked 8 hours session and not crashed except for when I was loading an Altiverb patch during playback and tweaking the time dial on the altiverb...

Almost all of the crashes I was having constantly were due to plugs and Vis according to the crash logs. I have become a little more gentle which is helping. But the key thing is I copy a file that was done in 10.5.6 to a new file and copy the soundbites. That improves things 90%. Then is I don't pop the clutch DP is working well. I am on a large project going from song to song and it is working well. At one point I had 5 instances of Amplitube open, Omnisphere, Kontakt with a horn section and strings along with a ton of plugs running all the same time 20 waves, maxed out UAD cards, Liquid mix, Arc, db112, and BFD 2. I am also putting in a melodyne plug here and their and a couple instances of Ivory. I am becoming very secure with DP 6.02 after the disaster of installing the latest OSX.

I am not completely what fixed things for me but DP 6.0.2 is almost as stable as it was with 10.5.6. And the features new features for me are crucial.

For those in the woes of getting it going my heart goes out to you.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Robbie_2327

Post by Robbie_2327 »

I'm still on 5.13 with DP6 still sitting in its box collecting dust.

I've been strongly considering taking a stab at installing it though, I am eager to try out Proverb
Intel dual core iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB | 10.6.8 | glyph HD's | DP 7.24 | MOTU 828mk3 | EW- Symphonic Orchestra Gold Pro - Collosus - Symphonic Choirs - Storm Drum - RA - Bosendorfer 290 - Percusive adventures | MOTU MX4 | Kontakt 3.5 | Boss GT-10 | Black & Pink Lava lamp

http://www.taxi.com/rpittelman
muxlow

Post by muxlow »

Sticking with 5.13 for a while. It works and I don't do anything fancy enough to warrant the $300 for the new features.
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
jpiscitello

Post by jpiscitello »

Frodo,

My system is a late-2005 vintage G5 Dual with 6 GB. Still on 10.5.4 (for Pro Tools 7.4.2's benefit). Late-2005 vintage G5 tower.

I have a side laptop, which is a 2008 Intel 17' Powerbook. I run DP 6 there with the Atmosphere wrappers, which was pretty crashy.

Under MAS I run a Traveler (in Pro Tools I have an HD2 setup).

Just recently replaced the internal HD with one that's bigger, faster, and less likely to die mid-project.

Waves 6 installed, platinum plus Z-noise installed.

Outboard I have an Access Virus and a Receptor, I only run MIDI over ethernet / USB to them, and just send their audio back into the Traveler. (I do run Virus Control pretty successfully these days).

Omnisphere is a bit of a monster with crashing, but CPU / memory load has been quite nice.
grouse

Post by grouse »

muxlow wrote:Sticking with 5.13 for a while. It works and I don't do anything fancy enough to warrant the $300 for the new features.
The upgrade to DP 6 is $195. Even if you're coming from 3. Funnily enough I can't for the life of me remember what was new in DP5. Maybe I should have skipped that one!
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

grouse wrote:
muxlow wrote:Sticking with 5.13 for a while. It works and I don't do anything fancy enough to warrant the $300 for the new features.
The upgrade to DP 6 is $195. Even if you're coming from 3. Funnily enough I can't for the life of me remember what was new in DP5. Maybe I should have skipped that one!
Well I did

DP 4.61 was just SO stable for me, almost never crashed...

Couldn't go back though :D
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
bradswan

Post by bradswan »

Bought 6 when it came out, but still with 5.13 until it is more reliable.
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 5gigs ram, OSX.6.1, DP 7.02 Apogee ADX 16, Mytec DAC, Mackie MCU, MTP-AV, Stylus RMX, Ivory, EWQL, Plug Sound Pro, Mach V, Reason, MX4, Ethno-instrument, Virtual Guitarist2, Do I really need all this stuff? UAD-1,2, Waves L3, PSP, Altiverb, Neodynium, AT 5 various other plugz.