One thing I'm learning..........

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Dan Walsh
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

One thing I'm learning..........

Post by Dan Walsh »

is to NOT SAVE while a project is playing back. 1/2 the time when I do, DP crashes. Then my heart gets a huge lump when I relaunch. I cross my fingers that the project is not corrupted upon reopening. I just got lucky a minute ago and the project is fine and I only lost the 5 minutes of work that I just completed. I save all the time and I have no probs when I save if the playback is stopped.

This has been happening to me since the release of 6.0. Man this p#sses me off :x

Anyone got any clue at all as to why this happens??
iMac 3.06 i3|OSX 10.6.8|8 gig ram||DP 7.24|Motu 896HD|2 Avalon VT 737's|Presonus ADL600|Slate VCC|Superior Drummer 2|EZ Drummer|1.1.6|Kontakt Player 4.1|Steven Slate Drums EX|SampleTank 2 XTAntares ATR-1|Presonus Central Station|Neumann TLM 103|Rode NT1|Audio Technica AT 4033 X2| Rode NT-5's|and lot's of other junk
Mr_Clifford

Re: One thing I'm learning..........

Post by Mr_Clifford »

When you say 'crash', do you mean the spinning beach ball of death? DP takes ages to save when in playback, because it's prioritising other things (like reading tracks, plug-ins etc.) and the beachball comes up. I've found that it usually comes good eventually if I just wait it out.

Or is DP just straight-out crashing and burning?
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Dan Walsh wrote: Anyone got any clue at all as to why this happens??
"the pipes, the pipes are calling...
oh, Danny boy..."

Mr. Walsh:

I have no idea why it happens. I've found saves to be much slower in DP6.x than in DP5.13, and you are quite right-- do nothing during playback.

While I have crashed, I'm happy to say that I have not burned! :P
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

Mr_Clifford wrote:
Or is DP just straight-out crashing and burning?
I mean like, first I get an extended beach ball, then the DP crashes altogether. Only when I save on the fly. The project I'm on right now does have a ton-0-fades with about 30 tracks with eq's on each track. I am running EZ Drummer as a VI and I have not freezed (I woulda said frozen) that yet as I'm still tinkering, but I do have all my verbs set up on Auxs (2 to be exact).

This has happened in other projects that are much smaller than this as far back as 6.0.

On the plus side, DP 6 as whole has been pretty stable for me...............
iMac 3.06 i3|OSX 10.6.8|8 gig ram||DP 7.24|Motu 896HD|2 Avalon VT 737's|Presonus ADL600|Slate VCC|Superior Drummer 2|EZ Drummer|1.1.6|Kontakt Player 4.1|Steven Slate Drums EX|SampleTank 2 XTAntares ATR-1|Presonus Central Station|Neumann TLM 103|Rode NT1|Audio Technica AT 4033 X2| Rode NT-5's|and lot's of other junk
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Dan Walsh wrote:
I mean like, first I get an extended beach ball, then the DP crashes altogether.
Can you put up your most recent crash report in full?
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

Frodo wrote:
I don't know how :cry: is there a crash report log somewhere? I just went ahead and relaunched and everything was ok. If you can tell how, I'll glady do it. I ain't great with computers but I ain't bad either. I've only been on this Mac/DP thing for less than a year...........
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Dan Walsh wrote:
Frodo wrote:
I don't know how :cry: is there a crash report log somewhere? I just went ahead and relaunched and everything was ok. If you can tell how, I'll glady do it. I ain't great with computers but I ain't bad either. I've only been on this Mac/DP thing for less than a year...........
No prob:

Macintosh HD > Library > Logs > Crash Reporter

There should be a DP crash log in that folder. Open it (double-click) then copy/paste the most recently dated one into a post.

"...from glen to glen..."
Tuxtla

Post by Tuxtla »

Yeah. In 5.1.3 I could save projects quickly even while while running a sequence. Not only is that a risky bet in 6.0.2 but it takes FOREVER to save. As long as 30 seconds on my most recent project which is not a big one. Too bad really. No sooner do things get settled in one area than they flare up in another.
MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz | 8 GB RAM | Mac OS X 10.6.8

DP 7.23 with MachFive 2, MX 4, | Alchemy | Rapture | AltiVerb 6 | NI Reaktor 5, Kontakt 4, Absynth 5 | PSP Lexicon, 84, 608 and Nitro | Augustus Loop | Spectron | Novation Remote 37SL.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

If I recall it almost all my crashes have been durring play back.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
jroadrage
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jroadrage »

I think that it's generally good advice to avoid asking DP to perform anything that it can't do in real time. It seems like almost all of my crashes that are unrelated to 3rd party plugs occur when DP is trying to catch up with a set of commands that have to be put at the end of the line.
John Rodriguez - Composer for Media
Mac Pro 2.8, 14 GB RAM, 10.6.1, i7 920, 12 GB RAM, Windows 7
DP7.02, VE PRO Public Beta, Bidule 0.9695, Altiverb 6, Ozone 3
Vienna Instruments, Kontakt 3.5, PLAY 1.2.5, Spectrasonics Bundle
zed

Post by zed »

DP is one of the only DAWs I have ever seen that even gives you the option to save while playing back. This feature, while a cool idea, is certainly not an essential feature. Since DP6 is not fully stable yet, and since you have had the experience (even if it only happened once or twice) that DP crashes when you save while playing back... the simple solution is don't do it! EVER! Just pretend that this feature doesn't exist and make sure you stop playing back when saving.

Even though I never had a crash while saving during playback... I would never do it because I know that I might be asking for trouble. I don't want DP thinking about ANYTHING ELSE when it is writing my valuable project data. It is not worth the risk. Even if they FIXED this feature for you, and it didn't seem to crash anymore, I would still get out of the habit of doing this.

Of course I have no stats to make this claim, but I suspect that you at least 500 times more likely to crash on a save during playback than when DP is idle. Maybe even 600 times. ;-)
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, there it is then. Like the doctor who tells you if it hurts, don't do that; I say "no more playback!" From now on DP is record-only. And Edit. But no playing back. We can't be responsible for what might happen if you play back your mixes. :lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

Frodo wrote:
No prob:

Macintosh HD > Library > Logs > Crash Reporter

There should be a DP crash log in that folder. Open it (double-click) then copy/paste the most recently dated one into a post.

"...from glen to glen..."
Hey Frodo

There is nothing in that folder other than a crash report from Jan 14. There are definately no DP crash logs. In the Logs folder, there is a HANG folder and within that there is a DP crash log from for Jan 14.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

zed wrote:DP is one of the only DAWs I have ever seen that even gives you the option to save while playing back. This feature, while a cool idea, is certainly not an essential feature. Since DP6 is not fully stable yet, and since you have had the experience (even if it only happened once or twice) that DP crashes when you save while playing back... the simple solution is don't do it! EVER! Just pretend that this feature doesn't exist and make sure you stop playing back when saving.

Even though I never had a crash while saving during playback... I would never do it because I know that I might be asking for trouble. I don't want DP thinking about ANYTHING ELSE when it is writing my valuable project data. It is not worth the risk. Even if they FIXED this feature for you, and it didn't seem to crash anymore, I would still get out of the habit of doing this.

Of course I have no stats to make this claim, but I suspect that you at least 500 times more likely to crash on a save during playback than when DP is idle. Maybe even 600 times. ;-)
That's the first thing I thought when I saw this post. Besides maybe an accidental save (I'm always hitting cmd-S during odd intervals), I would never purposefully save during playback, that's just asking for trouble. Plus... WHY? Why do you need/want to? It takes less than a second after hitting spacebar for DP6 to stop playback, even on the most complex sequences. So hit one more button, wait half a second more, and save yourself a world of potential hurt, and about 25 seconds of wait time. DP6 appears to be pretty stable to me, and I haven't even tried .02 yet (just downloaded it this morning), but all programs have their little quirks, especially when it involves doing many unrelated tasks at the same time. Just DON'T DO IT.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

Prime Mover wrote:[ Just DON'T DO IT.
I hear ya PM. I normally don't save while on playback but once in a while I forget and just do it. Then I sit in a state of terror. I just assumed this was a usable feature. I know now not to do it and am very concious of it.