DP6 and DP5.13 installed together - works well?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ToBeJazz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP6 and DP5.13 installed together - works well?

Post by ToBeJazz »

Hi,

as a DP 5.13 user with DP6 on its way I want to know if I can install DP6 and have them both work properly?
In other words, does DP6 in any "disturbs" DP5.13 when I then use that "old" version?

...Tobias
hammerman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by hammerman »

In my quick tests, it appears fine to run one or the other. They seem to access the same set of prefs as well. I read someone running both at the same time! (to compare layouts of the same sequence- copies of course).
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

hammerman wrote:In my quick tests, it appears fine to run one or the other. They seem to access the same set of prefs as well. I read someone running both at the same time! (to compare layouts of the same sequence- copies of course).
That would be me. For grins I loaded up a piano and dropped an arpeggiator on a track in each - they even played along together at the same time. No conflicts I could find.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Tomrabbit

Post by Tomrabbit »

Anyone install 6 with an earlier version than 5.1.3?
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Various reports are now coming in that installing DP6 and its new MAS/AU wrapper (which is called "MAS Audio Unit Support.bundle" and is located in the Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS folder) is corrupting some AU plug-ins and that once corrupted, they won't work in 5.13 either.

Even the "remote" possibility of that happening is too risky for me. I'd say hold off on installing DP6 unless you feel you can run that risk.
groove

Post by groove »

David Polich wrote:Various reports are now coming in that installing DP6 and its new MAS/AU wrapper (which is called "MAS Audio Unit Support.bundle" and is located in the Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS folder) is corrupting some AU plug-ins and that once corrupted, they won't work in 5.13 either.

Even the "remote" possibility of that happening is too risky for me. I'd say hold off on installing DP6 unless you feel you can run that risk.
To resolve my problems (UAD-1 knob glitches, Natives Instruments Akoustik Piano, Reaktor5 and Kontakt Player 2 crashing DP6) I have replace the MAS Audio Unit Support.bundle version 1.7.0 that is installed by DP6 with the one from DP5.13 which is version 1.6.1. My problems are gone, UAD-1 are working fine and the NI stuff are back to normal. What you loose with this temporary solution is the pre-rendering of VI's but I prefer this than not being able to use my plug-ings.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
dacart

Post by dacart »

David Polich wrote:Various reports are now coming in that installing DP6 and its new MAS/AU wrapper (which is called "MAS Audio Unit Support.bundle" and is located in the Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS folder) is corrupting some AU plug-ins and that once corrupted, they won't work in 5.13 either.

Well I believe I was among the first to figure out that the new MAS AU Support.bundle (ver. 1.7.0) was to blame for some plug-ins not working. I have to say though that you're wrong to describe the plug-ins as being "corrupted" i.e. permanently disabled. What's happening is that some plug-ins simply don't work with it which is different to my mind from corruption. The main bad behavior being that audio is not passed through the plug-in. Because both versions are accessing the same plug-in folders the same dysfunctional behavior happens in both 6 and 5.13.

If you want to go back to the old bundle, uninstall DP6 and reinstall 5.13 and you'll have the old MAS AU Support.bundle (ver.1.6.1) back and all will be as it was. No harm no foul. Or you can do as some have done and use version 1.6.1 in lieu of 1.7.0 although you will lose some of the new functionality that comes with it such as pre-rendering. Sorry if we're just talking semantics here but the situation really isn't as dire as it has come to be portrayed.

Hope that's clear,
Dan Carter
Dual2 G5, 6Gigs RAM, MOTU 828MkII, 10.4.11
"Ted, you know the way you are? Don't be that way!" Lou Grant to Ted Baxter