How can DP reduce/eliminate mic hiss ?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Gibble
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How can DP reduce/eliminate mic hiss ?

Post by Gibble »

I've upgraded my field recording mic to an Audio Technica Pro 24 (stereo condenser, 1/8 " mini plug) and I record onto a Mini Disc (Sharp MT90C). The new mic is producing an audible hiss sound that the old mic (sony stereo) didn't. Is there anyway to clean up the sound in DP. The mic and recorder are not anywhere near other electronic equipment so it shouldn't be picking up electrical interference. Side note: Even with the hiss I'm getting a much better recording with the new mic.

Any suggestions ??
Powerbook G4 1Ghz, 768M Ram, GEM RPG800. For vocal lesson recording: Behringer MXB1002 mixer, 2 x Behringer ECM 8000 omni mics, 2 x Behringer C2 cardiod mics, Edirol R-1. For recital recording: Alesis FireWire Multimix 16, 2 x Studio Projects C3 and an AT835b for vocal focus.
Resonant Alien
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: How can DP reduce/eliminate mic hiss ?

Post by Resonant Alien »

Nothing native in DP, but go and get yourself a copy of BIAS Soundsoap - it's only $79 and works like a dream.
midiot

Post by midiot »

Bigger ears hear more, so is the problem really just a side affect of bigger diaphragms?
If you like us tell a friend, if you don't, tell an enemy. www.fingered.net
Weekendshooter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Weekendshooter »

Gate?
pounce

Post by pounce »

i'd get a better mic and stop recording to minidisc instead of trying to solve a prolem which has been created by that particular gear combination. past that, waves restoration bundle would work for removing that hiss, but again you would only be tackling the symptoms, not the cause.
Gibble

Post by Gibble »

pounce : I've just placed an order for the new Edirol R-1 (CF based Wave recorder) so that should take care of the minidisc part of the problem. The microphone was a recent upgrade from my previous mic, should I have picked up a different mic? If so, do you have any recommendations? The mic needs to be suitable for field recording and also be stereo. (Primarily I record Vocal lessons and then edit in DP).

Thanks
Powerbook G4 1Ghz, 768M Ram, GEM RPG800. For vocal lesson recording: Behringer MXB1002 mixer, 2 x Behringer ECM 8000 omni mics, 2 x Behringer C2 cardiod mics, Edirol R-1. For recital recording: Alesis FireWire Multimix 16, 2 x Studio Projects C3 and an AT835b for vocal focus.