dirty up vocals

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
KarlSutton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

dirty up vocals

Post by KarlSutton »

I've been working on a project & captured very clear, present, vocals. I recorded them with a TLM103 into my ghost with a demeter tube optical compressor lightly compressing it.

I think they sound great, but my client wants them "dirtier" or "grittier" I tried putting the preamp plugin on them & messing with that, he likes it when it breaks up, I however cringe as I tried so hard to get them so clear.

I think if he could have recorded his songs in the 70's on tape through that era of gear that is the sound he's after.

Besides DP's plugs I have wavearts & that's it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Did you try DP's Preamp via aux? Might mix in better.

You could drop the cash on PSP VintageWarmer. It's a smoother kind of saturation.
markwayne

Post by markwayne »

Vintage Warmer is the first thing that popped into my mind as well. Of course, you say you tracked with some compression already so you might end up with other problems with VW.

Maybe try bussing the track to a couple of channels and then mix in a touch of dirt with some of the nasty upper mids notched out and leave your nice pristine vocal full range and front and center.
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Copy the track then add the preamp (not to dirty tho but heavily compressed) to the copied track, roll of everything below say 100hz roll off everything above say 3-4kz push the midrange up.

Now bring up the clean Vox track while having the copied track off and slowly bring up the dirty track and blend the two till you get the best of both worlds.

You can also automate this for cleaner verses and dirtier chorus's.

The Massey plugin is a winner and is free as well.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
SixStringGeek

Re: dirty up vocals

Post by SixStringGeek »

KarlSutton wrote:my client wants them "dirtier" or "grittier" I tried putting the preamp plugin on them & messing with that, he likes it when it breaks up, I however cringe as I tried so hard to get them so clear.
Route the track to a set of headphones, clamp the headphones over a mic, record the signal from the mic.

Try it when he's not around and see what he says.

Hey, its cheap. :twisted:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

thank you so much for the ideas!
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

If you don't get where you want with DP's Preamp, a few more to try :

iZotope vinyl (free)
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

CamelCrusher (free)
http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php

You'll have to tweak to get somewhere, but chances are you'll like it !
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

or you can have Andrew Dice Clay sing the lyrics if you want to dirty up the vocals 8)
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh man, good call Brad; he's one filthy bugger, he is.
Makes George Carlin and Moore/Cook sound like preppies. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
ramadev

Post by ramadev »

I posted this in another thread yesterday:

Wanting a gritty vocal, we ran a mult from the vocal into a miked guitar amp in a tiny bathroom, dialed in a bit of tube distortion on the amp, printed it to a separate track, and mixed a bit of the signal in with the original vocal - it worked great!

Man was I surprised, as I was skeptical at first . . .
Nehalem Dual QuadCore 3.2GHz/8GB/828/MTP AV/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/GuitarRig4/Drumagog/bx_XL/FG-X,RC-Tube,VTM/EventideOmnipressor/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/2GB/Traveler/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/bx_XL/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
Neumann,AKG,Earthworks,Soundelux mics/ManleyVoxBox/Avalon737/Amek9098/Genelec1031As
chunkdz

Post by chunkdz »

Try routing the vocal to a stereo bus, then out the analog out on the computer. Plug that into the mini jack input of a memorex microcassette recorder. Playback recorded vocal through a headset mic attached to a Skype phone calling Peru, then have the friend in Peru make an MP3 and send it back to you. Import and phase it in with the original track, and VOILA!
8 Core 2.8
DP 5.1.3
M5 II
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

chunkdz wrote:Try routing the vocal to a stereo bus, then out the analog out on the computer. Plug that into the mini jack input of a memorex microcassette recorder. Playback recorded vocal through a headset mic attached to a Skype phone calling Peru, then have the friend in Peru make an MP3 and send it back to you. Import and phase it in with the original track, and VOILA!
I'd like to have an apple pie with that? :? :wink:
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
ramadev

Post by ramadev »

chunkdz wrote:Try routing the vocal to a stereo bus, then out the analog out on the computer. Plug that into the mini jack input of a memorex microcassette recorder. Playback recorded vocal through a headset mic attached to a Skype phone calling Peru, then have the friend in Peru make an MP3 and send it back to you. Import and phase it in with the original track, and VOILA!
LOL!

You could always rub some coarse sandpaper on the mic while tracking.
Nehalem Dual QuadCore 3.2GHz/8GB/828/MTP AV/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/GuitarRig4/Drumagog/bx_XL/FG-X,RC-Tube,VTM/EventideOmnipressor/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/2GB/Traveler/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/bx_XL/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
Neumann,AKG,Earthworks,Soundelux mics/ManleyVoxBox/Avalon737/Amek9098/Genelec1031As
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You could get the vocalist to throw in a little cussin' :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here