Annoying bridge rattle on Epiphone Les Paul - Korea

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Annoying bridge rattle on Epiphone Les Paul - Korea

Post by Timeline »

I know I deserve this but the guitar plays perfectly in tune ALL THE WAY UP WITHOUT OVERTONES. A feat in itself! Pretty amazing short of this rattle issue. It's got the little retaining wire Piece 'o' crap bridge.

Any suggestions on direct replacement bridges with the best roller or locked in bridge apparatus? Was thinkin about this one: Gotoh 510 Tune-o-matic Bridge & 'Stop' Tail

I replaced the pickups with Antiquities which sound awesome. I think this last move may make it a winner.Image
mikebeckmotu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mikebeckmotu »

The Gotoh should be a good replacement, I'd think.
I was just looking through this site (thanks to flashgerkin for the link), and saw a bunch of options that would work for your Epiphone, from genuine Gibson to Gibson aftermarket parts:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_index.htm
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Thanks. I'll shop around. Your link just proved to me I paid 80 bucks more than I should have at GC. I got ripped I'm afraid. Oh well.
nikki-k

Post by nikki-k »

My fav affordable LP bridge is the Tone Pros set.
An aluminum stop can be a nice addition as well.
nikki :D
Mac Pro 1st gen 2.66, 4G ram; MBP 1st gen C2D; DP5.13; lava lamps and possessed stuffed animals...
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

nikki-k wrote:My fav affordable LP bridge is the Tone Pros set.
An aluminum stop can be a nice addition as well.
http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/product ... 995&group=

I think this one right?

Does not have external wire?
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Hi Timeline, my best is :
http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp31000/ ... pieces.htm

I've been always very pleased with products from this manufacturer.
Great value for little money.

If you don't use them already, take a look at their "straplocks" :
http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp31383/ ... y-Lock.htm
Last edited by daniel.sneed on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
wheever

Post by wheever »

daniel.sneed wrote:If you don't use them already, take a look at their "straplock" :
http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp31383/ ... y-Lock.htm

Schaller Straplocks are far and away the best!
I've been using them for more than 20 years. They are so dead reliable it's ridiculous, even if they don't clip in (because, say you're in a hurry to get a take done before inspiration flees,) they still hold your ax safely due to the cup design. Big huge thumbs up!
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
nikki-k

Post by nikki-k »

Hi!
Unfortunately, I have no idea exactly which model the Epiphones would use.
Here is the main page
The various bridge and tailpiece options are there. I would send them an email, include Make, model, year..as much info as possible- and they should get back to you with the exact model that would work.
Mac Pro 1st gen 2.66, 4G ram; MBP 1st gen C2D; DP5.13; lava lamps and possessed stuffed animals...
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

ahh an epiphone les paul standard (metallic gold) was my first electric guitar. still have it and use it often. replaced the stock pickups with some custom Wolftones (they were a bit cheaper a while back). I also replaced the machine heads with Gibsons...but that bridge yuck it's still got the the stock version. nice thread, i might update mine as well!

the biggest problem with the epi les pauls is quality control...but if you can find one that is in good shape, with good intonation, they can be quite a bargain! and i think, with new pickups they can sound as good as the lower end particle board gibsons.
why would i want to skin a cat?
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Thanks for that OldTimey and nickki.. Hey this one intonates perfectly. One of the best I have ever heard and I'm picky. Put Antiquities on it which made it sound punchy and tis bridge thingy is all that's left. It has grovers on it but I don't like em. Actually, may change them too. I can't believe the quality control of this Korean guitar. It may be better than Gibson. Just not as heavy wood, more dried out or something. It's actually light too.

Any rattles in a roller as opposed to a set notched bridge?

Cheers,
G
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

Timeline wrote:It may be better than Gibson. Just not as heavy wood, more dried out or something. It's actually light too.
When I was in a GC recently looking at amps, I picked up a new LP Standard to test one out with and was shocked at how light it was. I think that they chamber the bodies now to keep the weight down. That's the one thing that I don't like about my LP. It's so freakin' heavy.
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I know. Maybe I'm just an old wimp but I don't need to carry around a weapon. :lol:
nikki-k

Post by nikki-k »

rcannonp wrote:
Timeline wrote:It may be better than Gibson. Just not as heavy wood, more dried out or something. It's actually light too.
When I was in a GC recently looking at amps, I picked up a new LP Standard to test one out with and was shocked at how light it was. I think that they chamber the bodies now to keep the weight down. That's the one thing that I don't like about my LP. It's so freakin' heavy.
They have been drilling the bodies for years. If you hit the Les Paul Forum (privately run, no Gibson association), people have xrayed their axes and posted pics. HUGE debate over it too. Some feel ripped off, since they feel Gibson has not disclosed this openly, so they buy what they think is a whole slab...and get a piece of swiss instead. Others feel if it sounds good, who cares why/how...and if they have less back problems, what is there to complain about? Especially after so many boat anchors from the Norlin years... (tho I do own a '74 20th Anniv. LPC that I would not sell for $10k.. original owner knew good wood, and then stuck original PAFs in it... sings for days, right in the 10-11lb range)
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Wow 10 pounds. Its like aerobics at the gig and those shoulder pains the next day. :)
Hard2Hear

Post by Hard2Hear »

The adjustment screws (on the backside of the bridge, used to intonate the saddles) get loose. Use a small screwdriver and turn them ever so slightly one way or the other, so they're tight against the threads. This takes care of 90% of rattling on a tune-o-matic style bridge.