MIDI Driver 1.3.1

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dixiechicken
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Driver 1.3.1

Post by dixiechicken »

New MIDI driver at Motu website.
Dixiechicken
------
My God it's full of stars....
------
Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Nehalem/Xeon 2.93 GHz 32-GB ram, OS-X 10.13.5-Swe, DP-9.52, Unisyn-2.11, 828-MkII,MTP-AV usb, Latest drvs, Wavearts plugs, Kurzweil-2000, Proteus-2000, EPS-16, Pod-II,
Digitech RP-155, Soundcraft UI-16, Emes Kobalt monitors.
------
instacue

Re: MIDI Driver 1.3.1

Post by instacue »

Bravo MOTU - MIDI Driver 1.3.1!
Hallelujah! MIDI stuck notes solved!! This ends a 6 month nightmare, since 4.5. Now I can finally use DP 4.52!

Thanks a million MOTU!

--DP 4.52, Mac G4 Dual 1.4 Gig, 2 Gig ram, Sys 10.2.8, Aurora Igniter LT pci card, PCI 324, 2408 optical in and out to Apogee AD-8000, Apogee DA16, 3 MTP AV USBs, MTP II, MidiExpress 128. 12 SampleCell cards on Nubus Mac, 2 GigaStudio PCs, Aardsync II word clock house sync, Mach V, Stylus RMX, Atmosphere, Trilogy, SoundSoap
Christopher Drake

Post by Christopher Drake »

I wish MOTU would at least send out an email announcement that they have an update... If it wasnt for this forum, I never would have known.

Thanks Dixiechicken!
midiot

Post by midiot »

"dulcis"
I am scared to post this but so far so good, no MIDI ghosts or misfires. I know dulwaa?, It's latin for sweet.

P.S. Thanks for the heads up Dixiechicken, Sweden where the Unicornations day begins.

<small>[ April 27, 2005, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: midiot ]</small>
If you like us tell a friend, if you don't, tell an enemy. www.fingered.net
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

...and there was great rejoicing in the Kingdom at last! (I hope....I hope....)

It was just a few hours ago that I finished a big project and mused that I didn't really mind booting up in 9.2.2 because DP 3.1 was such a slick sequencer and fun to use, so dependable etc. etc.

So this very day that I had finally just let go my frustration with 4.52, I stumble upon this new driver announcement. Since I'm not using 4.52 anyway I might as well try it, I reasoned. Installed the 1.3.1 MIDI driver and booted up, wondering what new torment might be in store.

Well, bust my britches. Lo and behold. I think this may be it. I dumped in a multitrack sequence with DP 4.52 slaved to an external sequencer via midiclock, previously a recipe for disaster, and so far no stuck notes, and the timing seems to fall correctly on the barlines. Turned around and slaved DP to my VS2480, and playback also sounded disarmingly smooth. Playback of the sequence from within DP as master seems rock solid as well, no speed ups and slow downs. (Had an out-of sync experience when trying to play back half the tracks while recording the other half, but the final result seems to have translated correctly, so we'll see)

Problem? What problem? My sequencer sayeth to me. If this driver indeed finally fixes the mindblowing problems we've had lately, one wonders exactly what MOTU had to do to correct them. Anyway, for me, it's funny how just playing back a simple sequence can seem like a miracle. Can't wait to explore the rest of 4.52 and find new things to confound me.

Like.... why does the Consolidated Window now revert to the previous chunk (not currently playing) every time I switch from the mixing window to the tracks window??? I noticed that the default was for the currently playing chunk, and I don't recall this happening when I played around with 4.52 before the MIDI wars....

Anyway, cross your fingers and give it the new driver a whirl, fellow sufferers... worked for me!

Tobor

P.S. A big thank you to MOTU for addressing this issue. I'm sure it wasn't fun being under the gun with people flipping out. We've all been there.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
melodesiac420

Post by melodesiac420 »

OMG!!! I simply can not believe what I was hearing about 15 minutes ago!!!

I was playing a sequence and using my MIDI controller at the same time and had 0 missed notes or stuck notes!

I'm still scared to touch my controller without my finger on the 'panic' button, but I may be on the road to recovery my friends.

Well, I'd love to sit here and type about how elated I am, but there's a million ideas accumulated over the last few months that just gotta be made real.

Thanks MOTU... Thanks a million.

Melodesiac420
I'm not really a smartass..... However....I did stay at a Holiday Inn Select last night.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Hold the euphoria...

I just managed to get some stuck notes and train wreck delayed starts when slaving my DP sequence to my VS2480 via midiclock. Timing is still very good when it kicks in, however. DP still doesn't seem to like song position pointer when slaved via midiclock, especially when stopped, position is changed, and sequence is restarted. Slightly less MIDI debris when changing locators on the fly. And I was so happy.....

I also got the 'ghost passage' playback about a minute after I stopped play.

All in all, though, there seems to be substantial progress with this new driver and given the midiclock caveat I may still do my current project in 4.52.

Keep up the good work, but by all means keep working on this problem, MOTU!!

(Maybe we need just one more inappropriate header/fervent prayer/primal scream from Melodesiac420 :-)
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Originally posted by tobor:
Hold the euphoria...

I just managed to get some stuck notes and train wreck delayed starts when slaving my DP sequence to my VS2480 via midiclock. Timing is still very good when it kicks in, however. DP still doesn't seem to like song position pointer when slaved via midiclock, especially when stopped, position is changed, and sequence is restarted. Slightly less MIDI debris when changing locators on the fly. And I was so happy.....

I also got the 'ghost passage' playback about a minute after I stopped play.

All in all, though, there seems to be substantial progress with this new driver and given the midiclock caveat I may still do my current project in 4.52.

Keep up the good work, but by all means keep working on this problem, MOTU!!

(Maybe we need just one more inappropriate header/fervent prayer/primal scream from Melodesiac420 :-)
Regarding that "Ghost" playback, take a look at this. See if that fixes it. (not that it's really a fix, just a workaround)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

for me MIDI driver 1.3.1 seems to have fixed everything - I'm not doing VIs (till my DFHS gets here this week), just external MIDI
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
misty

Post by misty »

nope... still stuck notes over MIDI and plugins...

misty
8 core, g5dual2, alum, dp6.01, 2408mkII, rmeFF800, traveler, 828x2, d8b.. more stuff at home
bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

I had kernel panics after installing the new MIDI drivers - Back to the previous version for me. No stuck notes to speak of in a long, long time.
-----------------------------------
Remember... no whining :)
Dual G4 1.25 GHz - MOTU 896 - MOTU MicroLite - Reason
Visit Bulldawg Sound for info on my vintage drum collection, bands and links to my old DP site.
Hideout
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Hideout »

After having read that most have been having good luck with 1.31 I installed it. Now My G5 no longer sees the Miditimepiec AV!!!!! Thanks Motu. And Motu doesn't have a download the earlier version. :mad:

G5 2.5 GHZ, 2Gigs RAM, DP 4.52, UAD-1.

<small>[ April 29, 2005, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Hideout ]</small>
Without music, Life would be a Mistake
- Nietzsche

Post by melodesiac420 »

After a full day yesterday, I report no ghost or stuck notes over a full morning and afternoon. I could not force a stuck note.

If your MIDI is not working correctly still... I know the pain.. Don't forget to check your buffer.. Mine was set too high because I had been working strictly with audio tracks for the past few months.. Once I set it back to 512, all was good in the neighborhood again.

melodesiac420
I'm not really a smartass..... However....I did stay at a Holiday Inn Select last night.
melodesiac420

Post by melodesiac420 »

Originally posted by tobor:
Say what you will... After the outburst with massive quantums of authority, there was a new driver within 7 days.

*Melodesiac420 emerges from phone booth without his cape after saving the MOTU universe from the evil hands of Dr. MIDI.*
lprostick

Post by lprostick »

Originally posted by shanabit:
Let me know what version you need bro. I have all of them, I'll send it to you. Did you totally get rid of the old driver? Did you repair permissions? FYI, I usually just remove the driver and put it on my desktop until I make sure the new one is going to work OK. If it doesnt I just pitch the one and put my old one back from whence it came. I've made a habit of burning EVERY update onto a CD for backup as well. Yes, MOTU has its own cd in my catalog because its needed. ;)

shanabit@yahoo.com
Say Shanabit --

Where does the driver "live" on the HD? I always thought the driver gets incorporated into the program somehow. This would be a very cool way to check out a driver without actually committing to it. Let me know where I can find it. THANKS!
Single 1.8 G5, 1GB RAM, DP 4.6, 80gb external Glyph HD, M-Audio 410, MOTU Fastlane, Battery, SampleTank (the free one), Yamaha pf-80, Roland TD-7, Alesis DM5, Drum KAT, a few bad cords & a few good ones.