recording optical out from a cable box?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
picardmyhero
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

recording optical out from a cable box?

Post by picardmyhero »

I have an 828mkII and I'd like to know if there is a way to record my cable box: scientific atlanta's explorer 4200's, optical audio out to
the 828mkII's optical in or s/pdif in.

Thanks.
Jidis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jidis »

Picardmyhero,

Coax (RCA jack) should be standard SPDIF signals. I'd have to look at one of my Motorolas, but the optical *might* be some multi-channel stream for surround capable receivers.

Two catches-

Don't know about an 828mkII, but my 2408mk3 optical ports are ADAT only. It sucks too because it might just be software (firmware) mods needed to spot the SPDIF format over the optical line and direct it to whatever's doing the processing for the coax's on there. I've got a couple lowly Lexicon Core2's here which are control panel switchable for either one.

Also (I had to look into this recently)- Cable companies evidently are known to turn off certain functions of those new boxes. That bothers me worse than the SPDIF thing. My new recording-capable box has a whole back panel loaded with connectors (RJ-45, firewire,SATA,HDMI,optical/coax SPDIF,component/composite video,SVideo,USB2), plus another set of composite video/audio input jacks and a USB2 port on the front (and a card reader). From what I read, half of it is turned off. I really wanted the video/audio in. I guess it was meant for VCR's or games, and then you could use one connection to the TV, and maybe even digitize your VCR tapes without a capture card. I've managed to use the FW out, but it runs some ridiculous high bandwidth video standard which has to be converted about ten times to get to anything "archiveable". I guess those massive files are a good thing, but not worth the hassle here.

-Good Luck,

George

update- Just checked a PDF from here out of curiosity->

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/produc ... atalog.htm

It says "SPDIF digital audio interface / Supports interconnection with surround sound receivers". All I know is the 2 channel SPDIF format, but I know 16bit SPDIF devices will lock to, and ignore the extra bits of a 24bit stream, and maybe even whatever they don't need from an AES or certain IEC signals, so maybe they can get what they want from that multi-channel thing as well. Let us know if you try it.