2408 troubles

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Cannonball
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

2408 troubles

Post by Cannonball »

So I have a Motu 2408 mk1. Now, theoretically (tell me if i'm wrong) I should be able to record in all 8 inputs simultaneously while monitoring out of analog out puts 1&2 right?

When I try to do this I get some sort of feedback sound out of analog out 1.

No matter what i try this happens. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe someone can help me configure setup window the way it's supposed to work.
Jidis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jidis »

I run the mk3/PCI-424 on WindowsXP, so I'm not positive, but if you're talking about sort of a quick "slapback" echo, that would be a latency effect (the amount of time it takes your signals to pass through the hardware or software and get back out). I know there were enhancements to the CueMix/monitoring method when the 424 came out. You may be limited to "software" type monitoring via whatever program you're running.

There are probably a few different places in the MOTU panel and the host software, where you can bump your buffer settings down, etc., which will knock down that latency delay, but I'm not sure you can get it within a tolerable range. Keep in mind, you're putting yourself at risk of buffer underruns and crap with them too low. You may hear noises or distortion, but it may be random dropouts or something that you won't notice until after you've tracked a bunch of stuff.

Mine does "zero latency" hardware routing, but I still wouldn't trust that on other people. The safest thing is to keep decent buffer settings and run actual direct analog sends for the cue monitoring.

Take Care,
George
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

it's not a slapback type thing....it's a high pitched feedback sound and it happens when i'm trying to record in analog one while monitoring out of analog one and two
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Maybe someone can tell me how THEY would set it up using a 24x4 console because then I could maybe figure out what i'm doing wrong here
remi82

Post by remi82 »

The output 1 & 2 and the monitor outputs share the same path. They are mirrored,deplug the cables of the two first outputs when you use the monitors outputs.