Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

motumacman

Post by motumacman »

I just tried to open a project i did using version 1.0 of MSI and it crashes everytime... i know how to work around it but come on.. every project that has MSI 1.0 i will have to do this work around... thats crazy.. any feedback from anybody else...?
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 1.1

Post by James Steele »

motumacman wrote:I just tried to open a project i did using version 1.0 of MSI and it crashes everytime... i know how to work around it but come on.. every project that has MSI 1.0 i will have to do this work around... thats crazy.. any feedback from anybody else...?
What's the work around? Care to share? If reproducible, it looks like yet another example where MOTU should ignore the voices demanding to know when it will be done and take more time.

Again, just what is the workaround, as that might be something helpful to others here.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
motumacman

Post by motumacman »

since the project had MSI in it i pulled out the plug in so it wouldnt load the VI.. DP gave an error about MSI not found i deleted it from the list.. i then called up msi in the same instrument track and reloaded the multi... it worked... for a while now it seems MSI crashes everytime it's called up..

Oh the stand alone player works just fine though... lol
Ildon
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Ildon »

Man, what the hell is wrong with MOTU these days? :?
alexff

Post by alexff »

Grrr...just ran head first into this bug too.

Problem is, I haven't been saving multis. So, it's back to V1 for now.
Thats a crying shame, especially seeing as I'm a DP user too - this was an excellent upgrade.

:cry:
Macbook, Leopard 10.5.1, Logic 8.01, MOTU Traveler.
---------------------
http://www.smoothbeatsonly.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ildon wrote:Man, what the hell is wrong with MOTU these days? :?
Dunno. Guess they're not perfect. Do you have something helpful to add to the discussion?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
motumacman

Post by motumacman »

I dont know if this has something to do with it but MSI now shows up as MSI - A, MSI - B, MSI - C , MSI - D... the old plugin was just MSI -1.. i am thinking this new routing scheme has confused DP when loading up version MSI 1.0 projects... just a thought... anyone else...?
alexff

Post by alexff »

I loaded up a project with a v-rack containing MSI. The V-rack wasn't activated (chunks window) and the DP didn't crash.

MSI had loaded up the correct sounds.

I activated the v-rack, and DP folds.
That might give some clues.

Gone back to V1, but keeping an eye on this thread.

:shock:
Macbook, Leopard 10.5.1, Logic 8.01, MOTU Traveler.
---------------------
http://www.smoothbeatsonly.com
AncientMariner

Post by AncientMariner »

Well ... it works fine in Cubase SX3. Another instance of Motu-on-Motu issues that don't happen in Cubase ... I've seen more than my share, which is why I'm going back to Cubase from DP.

Projects containing instances of the old version load with a very sensible message to the effect that the instrument has changed, and you'd better look into it. You do have to re-select your patches ... but it doesn't crash, and the outputs all default to Main Out, which conforms to the existing single-output instance. You load your banks, and it works.

When you call up a new instance, it acts like it does with any multi-output VSTi ... it generates VI tracks for all outputs, very conveniently.
hfox

1.1 crashes Logic and Live also

Post by hfox »

Well, 1.1 crashes Logic and Live 5 also.

Grumble grumble.

I'm gonna try going back to V. 1
AncientMariner

Post by AncientMariner »

Slight update ... in Cubase, one must transfer things to a new instance of the multi-output version, before it will save-and-reload without argument. Even so, those Germans seem to have made their host much more bulletproof than the competition ... at least it doesn't crash ... and it informs you in a logical way of what's changed.

This reminds me ... acute reminder, like a flashback ... of a company I worked for like 25 years ago. (I'm a very old coder, who is lucky enough to spend my AARP years in the music biz) Well, MOTU reminds me way-too-much of that company I worked for in the early '80s ... Brilliant concepts, but they lacked the resources and commitment to execute them properly. The users were the losers. I quit, and went back into show-biz.

But, such things might be more properly addressed in a new thread ... signing off, got to do some real, paying work ....
bbgunn

Re: 1.1 crashes Logic and Live also

Post by bbgunn »

hfox wrote:Well, 1.1 crashes Logic and Live 5 also.

Grumble grumble.

I'm gonna try going back to V. 1
1.0 works ok on my pc (Windows XP prof, 2.6 ghz athlon, 512 meg ram, creative audigy 2 sound card) but 1.1 crashes on launch. Both the standalone (I get the generic Microsoft exe has an error / send, don't send) and the vst plugin. It crashes both in Sony Acid Music 5.0 and in Cubase for me. Makes me believe it may be related to the sound card hardware vs the multiple output vst in the new 1.1 version.
:cry:
AncientMariner

Post by AncientMariner »

I should note: Mac 2x 2Ghz G5, 3GB RAM, 10.4.3

Gave up on Windows a year ago ...
Ildon

Post by Ildon »

I couldn't even get the update to work. After a few hours of trying, I gave up and uninstalled MSI, since I can't even use version 1.0. Damn MOTU.
oldecuriosity

Post by oldecuriosity »

Don't know if this helps, but DP now crashes everytime I open a file that was saved using MSI in some form, whether it's 1.0 or 1.1. What gives?