DP for Mactel

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
nicken
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP for Mactel

Post by nicken »

When do you guys think that we will see a DP version for Intel based Macs?

Nicken
builder

Post by builder »

From what the grumbling are about the lastest version of Rosetta supporting Altivec, it might not be as important as we think.
If the new powermac come in at around 3GHz Dual Core, and Rosetta even has a 20% performance hit (Which is high I think) , that is still ballpark to what is available now.....

I don't know what MOTU uses to Code DP, but from what I hear from other developers, the only problem would be if they used Code Warrier.
Xcode will support universal binanaries.

Word.
Music - http://www.missingpalmerwest.com/Missin ... songs.html

Dual 2.0 G5 (Rev. A), 4.5 GB Ram, Powerbook 1.5 GHZ 1.5 GB Ram, (BLA) 828mkII, UAD-1 X2 , 10.4.8, DP 5.13, Sebatron VMP2000e, Sytek MPA, Many Mics
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

builder wrote:From what the grumbling are about the lastest version of Rosetta supporting Altivec, it might not be as important as we think.
If the new powermac come in at around 3GHz Dual Core, and Rosetta even has a 20% performance hit (Which is high I think) , that is still ballpark to what is available now.....

I don't know what MOTU uses to Code DP, but from what I hear from other developers, the only problem would be if they used Code Warrier.
Xcode will support universal binanaries.

Word.
Performer/Digital Performer has been around since before Code Warrior was in existence, AFAIK. I don't know if they would have switched to Code Warrior when it came out, or not. But When they switched to OSX, I hope they considered Cocoa. Actually, I think they did. I remember them getting some programmer a while back who was good with Cocoa. I may be wrong, but I think they did call in some help from a Cocoa guru. We can only hope.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
builder

Post by builder »

Yea, I kind of figured that.... I suspect the transition will not be too bad... Though I bet our hopes of optimization are bundled with the switch... if at all.
Music - http://www.missingpalmerwest.com/Missin ... songs.html

Dual 2.0 G5 (Rev. A), 4.5 GB Ram, Powerbook 1.5 GHZ 1.5 GB Ram, (BLA) 828mkII, UAD-1 X2 , 10.4.8, DP 5.13, Sebatron VMP2000e, Sytek MPA, Many Mics
Jim

Post by Jim »

builder wrote:... Though I bet our hopes of optimization are bundled with the switch... if at all.
I was thinking that, too. But, that would stick everybody who has current generation Macs with the old code, no? Having to buy a new Mac with every DP upgrade can get expensive.
dougieb

Post by dougieb »

There is no question that DP needs some SERIOUS optimization anyway. It should be easier to find some Intel gurus than some G5 gurus to do this - so ultimately I think it will be a good BUT SERIOUSLY BUMPY change.

As for the switch from CodeWarrior to Xcode... who knows... I haven't ever done that - but how bad could that really be?

As for as running DP in emulation/Rosetta, I would expect that would be sickening slow. :-( DP just isn't the type of app you want to run in emulation.
qo

Post by qo »

dougieb wrote:but how bad could that really be?

:lol: :lol:
nicken

Post by nicken »

Could we see an intel version of logic at macworld expo?
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Jim wrote:
builder wrote:... Though I bet our hopes of optimization are bundled with the switch... if at all.
I was thinking that, too. But, that would stick everybody who has current generation Macs with the old code, no? Having to buy a new Mac with every DP upgrade can get expensive.
Well, welcome to working with computers.

These days, I'd advise anyone who uses a computer as an integral part of their business to build into their business plan a contingency to purchase a new system every two to three years.

If you can't swing that heavy a bat, step away from the plate.

Wow, I'm the first person to ever use a sports metaphor when talking about business.

And yeah, if I were MOTU, I'd save code optimization for the MacTel shift. Wouldn't you?
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

OK, so Apple surprised us (or me, at least) by releasing Intel on the mid-level iMac and the high-end laptop FIRST, and immediately (as of right now!) vs. later in the year.

Any word on what this means for programs, especially DP? And as I suggested in another post, perhaps the work that is needed to accomplish this also sets up DP to run on a MacTel machine that is dual booted to WindowsXP (with comparatively less porting work?).

I absolutely have to upgrade my iMac this year, and a dual boot system that doesn't break even more of my audio/music programs would be great! And then I wouldn't have to buy a Windows machine to run all the archival editors for synths that are out of production.

For all the complaining that I've heard, it does indeed sound like things might be just about to get better for once! I don't know the implementation details, but am holding out hope that cross-compatibility may become less of an issue moving forward.

But my initial guess is that it's going to take a lot of work to get existing audio programs to work on Mac-tels -- unless Apple does most of the work by setting up proper drivers, etc., and even having them follow the same protocol as the existing ones on the G4's/G5's.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

NI made an announcement today regarding the MacTels. I found the announcement slightly unclear as it wasn't completely specific about what they consider to be their major apps, in terms of prioritisation. But there was enough ambuity all around to lead me to believe that the MacTel port is far from trivial for most music/audio apps, and that there might be a bit of a wait (although not as long as going from OS 9 to OS X).
papageno

Post by papageno »

1) NI website now is very clear about MacIntel compatibility schedule. They have a nice table there, all apps listed.

2) regarding Rosetta: Rosetta does not support apps that require altivec (these apps won't run on G3). Rosetta generally emulates G3 architecture.

3) real world tests indicate that apps under Rosetta will run less than half speed than on PPC. I read an latest iMac G5 vs. iMac CoreDuo tests. Apple also warns about Rosetta and apps working in realtime so I am pretty sure that running DP on Rosetta won't be an option.
+372 56222285