MOTU M6 and M2 MBP (only channel one works) - RESOLVED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
onButtonUp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU M6 and M2 MBP (only channel one works) - RESOLVED

Post by onButtonUp »

Hi,

I've tried four different times and cannot figure out how to get anything but channel 1 to record or monitor.

Hardware : Moto M6, Apple silicon M2 Macbook Pro
Possible Inputs : Three condenser microphones or stereo line in
Possible DAW : PL lite, Garageband, Logic Pro

I am decently computer savvy, have clicked about every possible option using 3 DAWs, on the M6 display show signals coming in (tried mic in and line in) to the audio interface and I can use the local monitor buttons (and they work); but in any of the DAWs only channel 1 records or may be monitored.

I installed the latest driver : MOTU M-Series Installer
Version: 93305 Release Date: June 6, 2023

Again, I can see on the M6 display that all the signals come in and can monitor them on the M6, but only channel 1 seems to be coming in to the DAWs on a M2 MBP . . .

So, does the M6 not work with the M2 MBP (except for channel 1) ???

Thanks for anyones insight, here.
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU M6 and M2 MBP (only channel one works)

Post by mikehalloran »

The problem is in your setup. Analog In/Out is the opposite of USB (digital) I/O.

There is no mixer in the M2/4/6. A mic plugged into channel 1 goes out over USB channel 1 only. If monitoring usb Out in stereo, it will be panned hard L. Normally, you will monitor USB output as Mono.

In your DAW, you must set up a mono Input with your USB channel 1 as the source. You can output that track to a stereo or Master bus and Pan R/L — this will come back (USB Input) in stereo. This is the step you need to know. Read the searchable M6 pdf manual and find all of your Monitor options.

There is an I/O blend knob on the M4/6. Panned counterclockwise, you will hear USB output (analog input) only; clockwise for USB input from your DAW only. If 50/50 and your DAW input track is not muted, you will hear phase distortion.

Logic is misnamed because it is not intuitive. There is an Advanced setting that must be turned on before you see all of your input/output settings and monitor options. I never remember where these settings are unless looking at my screen while helping one of my users.

MOTU has regular beginner classes in PL. Sign up for one and take it. PL and DP do not set up like Logic but, once you understand, it’s easy to remember.

GB is its own little hell when it comes to setup and monitoring. I avoid it for that reason.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
onButtonUp

Post by onButtonUp »

Okay, great. I am trying to work through this while trying to record drums. Fortunately, I have access to another system that is working.

Question. Should I be able to record three microphone simultaneously with this setup ?(From what you indicate, it seem like they would all need to use USB channel 1.) Or, are you saying that I can use two microphones (set as stereo) and then send them on USB channel 1 (so two channels per USB channel)?
onButtonUp

Post by onButtonUp »

Update.

So, I (installed GarageBand) and created a two channel (stereo) project on the previous Intel-based computer and a separate project on new M2 Apple silicon computer. (Exchanged projects between computers.) Both projects work with the MOTU M6 on previous computer and both projects only work on channel 1 (left stereo) on the new computer.

It seems to me that this MOTU M6 only works on channel 1 on a M2 MBP.

I plan to contact customer service. I may be missing something . . . any further suggestions?

Thanks.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

(From what you indicate, it seem like they would all need to use USB channel 1.)
No. I did not indicate that at all.

On the M6, 1, 3, 5 are hard panned L while 2, 4, 6 are panned R. Every analog channel has a corresponding direct output over USB. You cannot change this but there is a button that allows you to monitor all outgoing channels Mono.

Any monitor mix is handled in the DAW on the channels coming back In to the M6. This is standard on such units.

The Balance/Blend knob allows you to change the balance between the USB Out (analog In) and the USB In (DAW Out). That's all it does but, when tracking others it comes in really handy. The drivers add two more tracks (Loopback) from the DAW.
So, does the M6 not work with the M2 MBP (except for channel 1) ???
The MBP has nothing to do with anything except that you do not need to install the MOTU drivers for the M6 to work. Windows users must install drivers.

So, of course it works but you need to understand how. Create a Mono track in your DAW and select the M6 as your source. You have 6 possible inputs—select the one you wish to record. Every DAW works this way but How is something you'll find in the manual and videos.

Every track has a number of outputs that you can select for monitoring. That's where your monitor mix comes from. For starters, select your Stereo Master as the Output and make sure that your M6 is listening to that (USB In). If you have 6 tracks each with a different mic/instrument all feeding the same stereo Out, you will be able to monitor all 6 in your M6 — assuming that the buttons are pushed right and the Balance knob is not all the way clockwise or counter clockwise.

Please register your unit so you can Download Performer Lite. Attend one of the Performer Lite beginner classes. Watch the videos. Once the workflow makes sense, you'll be good.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
onButtonUp

Post by onButtonUp »

"You have 6 possible inputs—select the one you wish to record."

I've tried inputs 1 to 4. On the MBP, the only channel I can record from (that I can monitor, or that meters) is channel 1. This in not the case using the iMac (where channels 1 to 4 seem to work). I've select mono and stereo. I've disconnect the M6 from one computer to the other. I exchanged project files. It works with the old desktop but not the new laptop (except channel 1). What do I need to do to make channel 2 work (record, monitor, show on the meter)?
onButtonUp

Post by onButtonUp »

Motu customer service got back with me that channels 2 to 6 were muted in the macOS Audio MIDI Setup, Audio Devices, M6, Input. I finished testing all six channels. Look forward to using it. Spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this out and worried that there was an incompatibility.

Registered and downloaded Performer Lite. I can try it now and will check out some of the videos. Thanks for taking time to help.