Audio randomly moving

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Waljax
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio randomly moving

Post by Waljax »

Hello everyone,

I'm quantizing a (guitar) track in stretch mode. I find the beats, then edit them in Waveform editor. I then quantize the audio and it works great. This puts all the audio exactly on the grid. Perfect!

If I do ANY editing on the track after it has been quantized the audio to the right of where I am working will randomly move. For instance, if I want to edit just one beat, I will highlight the beat then split it. As soon as I split the section, all the audio to the right will suddenly be nudged and no longer exactly on the grid.

I thought maybe merging the quantized file before I edited it would help but when I merge, the audio reacts the same way and no longer lines up exactly with the grid.

I love the stretch/quantize feature but this is driving me crazy. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'm working on a Mac in DP 10.
mikehalloran

Re: Audio randomly moving

Post by mikehalloran »

Waljax wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:28 pm Hello everyone,

I'm quantizing a (guitar) track in stretch mode. I find the beats, then edit them in Waveform editor. I then quantize the audio and it works great. This puts all the audio exactly on the grid. Perfect!

I'm working on a Mac in DP 10.
I bounce the track to Mono -3dB at that point and edit the new track.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Waljax

Post by Waljax »

Thanks for the idea but even when I bounce (or merge-or route to another track and re-record) a track, the audio within the soundbite is randomly moving. I've included a screenshot from a guitar track. If you zoom in, you can easily see how the new audio no longer is exactly on the grid.
Attachments
DP Screenshot.jpeg
DP Screenshot.jpeg (294.71 KiB) Viewed 397 times
Waljax

Post by Waljax »

I've spent days researching and experimenting with this issue and still haven't found an answer. It seems my problem is somewhere in the stretch function. I've watched videos of people grabbing the beat and moving it (in the stretch layer). When I grab a beat to move it, every other beat moves with it. I can't seem to grab just one beat and move it without it affecting everything else. Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks!