2-button mouse, options

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stickwolf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2-button mouse, options

Post by stickwolf »

Don't seriously tell me that DP4.6 *still* doesn't have any options for using 2-button mice... I switched from Cubase VST 5, a program now 4 versions old, I would think by now DP would have caught up and added contextual menus and right-click options...

What can I do to switch tools while working besides mousing all the way over to the tool window and clicking the tool every time I want to change?

And what other nasty surprises am I in for? Understand I chose DP because I'm still expecting to appreciate its benefits. And I don't know Cubase SX at all, so I'm only comparing to Cubase VST. What else am I giving up in this switch (besides giving up a much more visually appealing screen)? Is there anywhere I can find a resource for DP users switching from Cubase VST?

Thanks for the help.

-Aaron
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

I'm sorry to say it's true: DP has no right-click functionality. I think it's a notable UI deficit. Not insurmountable, of course. Just one of the ways in which DP comes off as kind of retrograde.

I believe DP's UI could use a considerable revamp, but I think I'm in the minority here.

I don't know of any resourses that help Cubase users transition to DP use. FWIW, I can say that DP has powerful MIDI composition tools and handles MIDI/audio combo work really well. I hope you'll give it a shot and dig into the app. I use it everyday and almost always find it up-to-task.

Good luck.
sdfalk

Re: 2-button mouse, options

Post by sdfalk »

stickwolf wrote: And what other nasty surprises am I in for? Understand I chose DP because I'm still expecting to appreciate its benefits. And I don't know Cubase SX at all, so I'm only comparing to Cubase VST. What else am I giving up in this switch (besides giving up a much more visually appealing screen)? Is there anywhere I can find a resource for DP users switching from Cubase VST?
Thanks for the help.

-Aaron
So you don't like the interface, you're upset at the lack of contextual menus, (nope, you're right there aren't any yet) so have you even
tried looking at the manual yet, or using help...
Did you reasearch your decision at all, or did you just grab the first thing
you saw.
Have you tried holding down shift and then the tilda key.
You can then rotate through the tools.
It's not contextual menus but its a start.
It's in the help section of DP.
Try reading that, then the manual.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

IF you want to change tools without having to scroll with the mouse.... Perhaps you could learn the keyboard command for each tool.
HTH Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

I use a 5 button mouse with DP and am very happy with the results.
I think the 2 button paradigm is a PC thing.
If you can let go of that, and are willing to customize a bit, you could get the results you seek.
With a multi-button mouse and macro software...
(QuicKeys is good)... you can work wonders.

Mouse buttons are up to you.
You can assign them to do whatever you want them to do.

Check the Commands window for key assignments.

Why did you switch from Cubase?
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

waterstrum wrote:I use a 5 button mouse with DP and am very happy with the results.
I think the 2 button paradigm is a PC thing.
If you can let go of that, and are willing to customize a bit, you could get the results you seek.
With a multi-button mouse and macro software...
(QuicKeys is good)... you can work wonders.
Waterstrum, are you able to open contextual menus within DP using your 5-button-mouse-with-macro technique? Or is it that you assign specific tasks to the buttons, thus expediating common tasks?

Certainly, the technique of right-clicking over areas in the UI to bring up specialty menus began as a PC thing, but many (if not most) Mac applications have adopted the practice. It's a little more than a luxury frill, I think, because it enables you to learn many of the deeper capabilities of an app faster (i.e., if you don't know all of the options available to a certain tool, right-click over it and you see the main connected functions). Often, it can avail that "Hey, I didn't know -- or forgot -- this tool could do that" feeling.
Archer

Post by Archer »

I spot so much negativity in your comments concerning minor elements...I think you see the tree and not the forest...

DP, SX, LP, PT mean a change of interface/workflow. Even if you'd switch to SX you'd have to adapt.

As mentioned, there are options for integrating a multi-button mouse. You won't find contextual menus. Think that is a drawback? When I happen to use SX I disable that function. Not in few occasions it happens to hit the mouse, right-click and perform something by mistake. And, as you might wrongly assume, this is not a mac-user illness.

Graphics? Shure, explain me than why every performance-oriented person I know has to resort to a preference in SX to assign priority to audio as opposed to graphics? Because it's audio we're dealing with... :shock:

BTW, I think mice are a thing of the past...I have a wartortle with 9 buttons and extra-functionality - and doesn't squeak... :shock:

Leaving fun aside, I think the best keyword I can give you is "adapt". You'll very likely have to do this whatever app. you choose to use...
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

Thanks for the tips. The lack of contextual menus is really a big downside in my mind. I am a total read-the-manual guy, and I'm plodding through obsessively. Still, I don't read 1000 pages and apply and understand everything in 1 day.

Why did I switch? Because as stated I would need to transition and relearn (and repurchase) even if I went to SX. And since there isn't a DEMO of DP. So I treated the 3 possibilities: DP, Logic, SX, as three new programs, none of which were really an upgrade from my old one. I researched all I could and checked articles and forums and the conclusion I got was: Cubase is great though not the best, Logic is great but mainly for its bonuses, and DP is the least in-the-way, most usable and as high quality and workable as the rest. On top of that, I liked the idea of the tabbed window, and the pitch and beat control, especially pitch as I work with just intonation and other alternate tunings. Plus, I've always had the impression that MOTU is a reael quality-oriented company that isn't out for the gimmicks the way Logic appears to be, and Cubase too to a degree. Stuff for real artists and real work.

I know I have interface changes to adapt to no matter what I chose. So, if I understand right, lack of contextual menus is probably the only blatant "I can't believe this modern software is missing this" sort of thing I'll find. I'll put it this way: interface differences are those that if I switched from DP to Cubase I'd have the same frustrations as the other way around. In the case of contextual menus I'm sure with that switch I'd all of a sudden be amazed and pleased at the new option. Now I'm really missing it.

So other than that, it seems I should just keep plodding ahead and I'll get more and more comfortable as I learn the interface and start actually making music.

Thanks, and feel free to keep commenting on this, and if anyone is a previous VST user who might at least help me follow the fastest path toward DP mastery, please let me know.

-Aaron

P.S. I completely understand how valuable community support like this forum is, and overall this forum seems very good and I promise that once I've got through things and understand it all, I will stay active here and provide the same help and support that I've recieved to others. There's no take unless someone gives so I sincerely appreciate and thank you all.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Hey Aaron

The new mouse just came out by Apple so I would expect MOTU to support it now. Consider too that MacTel will likely usher in CM.

Cheers
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

Thanks for the optimism. What's MacTel?
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

The intel based macs due next year.
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

At this point I've got DP really working well for my needs.

I have my mouse and customized keyboard set up with tons of macros and personalized commands.

I think the contextual menu right-click thing would be great for help in learning how to use the program.

How about a switch to turn on the right-click contextual menus for newbies with a 2 button mouse.