DP 11.2 Melodyne Integration

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.2 Melodyne Integration

Post by Michael Canavan »

sayatnova wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:56 pm I already have Melodyne Studio. I use only AUs... Will this just work now in DP, or do I need to mess with enabling VST3s (and turning off the AUs) for Melodyne? Confused!..;-)

Either way, this is really great to finally get ARA with Melodyne. Finally! Very much appreciated.
I have AU as default but I have multiple VST2 and VST3 plug ins enabled, and mostly at the same time as the AU version. It's not a big hassle, the preferences for that are fairly easy. The trick is to use the Plug in chooser window not the click hold tree menu, that way you can actually tell whether you're installing an AU or VST etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Hmmmm..not really interested in this as I own Melodyne Editor and have no need for Essential.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Chandrasekar
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Chandrasekar »

The first DP 11.2 version video on you tube is out by Bo Astrup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6OkQxo-BMs

Regards.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:I tested... yes, you can use the AU version, but ARA only works with VST3 version of Melodyne, at least on my Mac Studio.
This. That’s the whole point. ARA. You have to use the VST3 version of Melodyne to use ARA.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

David Polich wrote:Hmmmm..not really interested in this as I own Melodyne Editor and have no need for Essential.
I think it was just a “gimme” from MOTU so the people who don’t have Melodyne can use it in DP now that it supports ARA. I also have an upgraded version of Melodyne. I started out with an Essential license I got courtesy of Avid who gave it way with Pro Tools.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Chandrasekar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:03 am The first DP 11.2 version video on you tube is out by Bo Astrup

Regards.

This was good to see and helpful. I use RX9 for audio clean-up, not Acon Digital Acoustica 7... Do we know if we can do the same process as shown in the video but with iZotope RX9 instead of Acoustica 7? Is this also an ARA process? Also, in the past when we used the plugin version of Melodyne, we were limited for functions and had to use the stand-alone version for the full tool set usage. Do we have the full usage of Melodyne using it as an ARA element as in the video? Basically trying to learn if there are any limitations to be aware of going foreward...;-)

Thank you.

PS: It sounds like he is using one of those AI speech translators for the VO, I think I remember older Bo videos as having a lovely Danish lilt to them and was looking forward to that! Who know, maybe he wanted to play with that software, as well?...;-) Or, perhaps I am remembering/hearing it wrongly this morning. Either way, good of him to put that out there.
Last edited by sayatnova on Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
dix

Post by dix »

James Steele wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:13 am
David Polich wrote:Hmmmm..not really interested in this as I own Melodyne Editor and have no need for Essential.
I think it was just a “gimme” from MOTU so the people who don’t have Melodyne can use it in DP now that it supports ARA. I also have an upgraded version of Melodyne. I started out with an Essential license I got courtesy of Avid who gave it way with Pro Tools.
Since DP's pitch correction is top notch it's an unexpected gimme. I think it largely serves as a free way for DP users to familiarize themselves with ARA. Since I've never done enough vocal recording to justify the expense of Melodyn I've never tried it. Is it better than what DP already does?...different?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

sayatnova wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:52 am
Chandrasekar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:03 am The first DP 11.2 version video on you tube is out by Bo Astrup

Regards.

This was good to see and helpful. I use RX9 for audio clean-up, not Acon Digital Acoustica 7... Do we know if we can do the same process as shown in the video but with iZotope RX9 instead of Acoustica 7?...
RX is suppose to work, but Bo said on FB he hadn't yet been able to make it happen.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dix wrote:
James Steele wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:13 am
Since DP's pitch correction is top notch it's an unexpected gimme. I think it largely serves as a free way for DP users to familiarize themselves with ARA. Since I've never done enough vocal recording to justify the expense of Melodyn I've never tried it. Is it better than what DP already does?...different?
It’s sort of on a case by case basis. Sometimes Melodyne sounds better. One thing DP’s pitch correction CAN’T do is editing of polyphonic material. Try selecting some polyphonic audio… a piano track works well, and I think there’s a new item in the Edit menu. I forgot exactly what it’s called. Convert Audio to MIDI. It’s not perfect, but it’s scary good.

dix

Post by dix »

Oh! Does this free version of Melodyn had polyphonic editing, and their Audio to MIDI implementation? I thought that was only on the flagship version. That is definitely something I would use.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yikes. Good point. Probably not. I used my Essential license to pay upgraded price to the next step up with does polyphony.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:11 am
HCMarkus wrote:I tested... yes, you can use the AU version, but ARA only works with VST3 version of Melodyne, at least on my Mac Studio.
This. That’s the whole point. ARA. You have to use the VST3 version of Melodyne to use ARA.
That makes sense. Since DP now supports ARA, that is a major time saver.

Logic, however, has supported ARA for a few years including with Melodyne and cannot use VSTs. Looks like something to explore when I get back into town, no doubt.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

dix wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:16 am Oh! Does this free version of Melodyn had polyphonic editing, and their Audio to MIDI implementation? I thought that was only on the flagship version. That is definitely something I would use.
EDIT: It displays polyphony, but does not allow editing. Sorry if I misled. From the Essentials manual:

"In Melodyne essential and assistant, of course, you can only see the notes of polyphonic instruments, displayed as gray blobs. With the editions Melodyne editor and Melodyne studio, on the other hand, can you also edit the polyphonic blobs and change, for example, the G of an E minor chord to G# to obtain a chord of E major."

Yes, it does polyphony:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 1.58.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 1.58.42 PM.png (366.58 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
Last edited by cuttime on Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:58 am
James Steele wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:11 am
That makes sense. Since DP now supports ARA, that is a major time saver.

Logic, however, has supported ARA for a few years including with Melodyne and cannot use VSTs. Looks like something to explore when I get back into town, no doubt.
Ugh, so far this blurb from iZotope might hold true with Melodyne.
I'm about to upgrade to Studio 5, so I can test, but if people are saying it's true of Melodyne, then it's not out of step with what's happening with RX... :?
RX 10 AU ARA plug-ins are compatible with Logic Pro only.
RX 10 Ambience Match, Dialogue Isolate, and De-rustle plug-ins are available as AAX Audiosuite plug-ins in Pro Tools only.
This would point to the AU spec being slightly tweaked towards Logic for things like ARA, in the same way that AU inline MIDI FX are not possible in any DAW I know of besides Logic. [Unify also can use them because of how they implemented MIDI FX]
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ZTX vs PureDSP vs Melodyne… All are now available in DP 11.2.— been using all three for years.

I won’t go into when to use what but you’ll get a feel for it.

And yes, Essential shows all the blobs on a track so you can change a piano note in a chord — but getting all the harmonics can be an absolute bear. Don’t expect instant miracles. Nothing works perfectly on old voices.

ARA brings a time savings element to the process. Before, you had to play the track in real time to let Melodyne ‘record’ it which had to be done first before it could display the blobs for manipulation.

Melodyne Studio has a great deal of additional functionality beyond pitch.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro