Surround and Fold-down mix simultaneously?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Surround and Fold-down mix simultaneously?

Post by dix »

Is there a way to bounce or record a stereo mix and a 5.1 mix at the same time with DP?

Projects specs often call for both stereo and surround versions. It would be a real time saver to do them both at the same time.

Thx!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Re: Surround and Fold-down mix simultaneously?

Post by dix »

In case anyone is interested, I did find a way. To be clear, I wanted to create a 5.1 mix and a stereo Folddown of that mix at the same time.

I created a duplicate 5.1 Master Aux track and sent the outputs of the duplicate to a dummy aggregate (so it wouldn't also be heard). On the duplicate aux I put a Nugen Halo Downmix plugin, and assigned sends on that aux to busses that could then be bussed to a stereo track to be recorded. ...a little confusing i know, but i can't think how to explain any better.

Using this config I can record or bounce a 5.1 mix, separate 5.1 MX, FX, DX stems, a stereo Mix and stereo MX, FX, DX stems all at one time. A huge timesaver, especially on longer projects.

I have to say the Nugen Halo downmixer is astounding! Dramatically better then the one in DP - which I think might be broken currently? I didn't realize what I was missing. The problem is it's $300. I used the 15 day trial for this experiment. I'll have to buy it when the need arises next time. But sooo worth it.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for the explanation dix. Duly noted: Nugen Halo Downmix.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Thank you for the explanation !!!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS12.7.5, DP11.32, all Waves, all SLATE,PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, most all Orchestral Tools, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.