Weird issue: DP11.11 and Console 1 + UAD-2 Plugs

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Weird issue: DP11.11 and Console 1 + UAD-2 Plugs

Post by James Steele »

This is a very weird issue... I guess you could call it a bug... that you will not encounter unless you are using Console 1 AND UAD-2 plug-ins. Furthermore to encounter it you have to have at least one UAD-2 plug directly in a DP insert and at least one UAD-2 plug in loaded INTO Console 1. For example, using an LA-2A Legacy for the compressor module, in place of the SSL 4000 E compressor.

Here's how to reproduce the issue:

1) Create a new DP project. Set DP’s hardware buffer to anything *other* than 2048. In my case I used 256. Sample rate doesn’t seem to matter. I *usually* use 48k these days.

2) Create a mono audio track (TRACK 1) and add a UAD-2 plug in to the first insert. I added a mono-to-stereo instance of the Lexicon 480L. Close the Plug-in window.

3) Create a second mono audio track (TRACK 2) and add a mono instance Console 1 plug in to the first insert… it should instantiate with their default SSL 4000 E channel strip. Close the Plug-in window. Using the Console 1 hardware, active the Console 1 On Screen Display, select TRACK 2, then Press Shift + 4 and load a UAD-2 compressor into the Console 1… I used a LA-2A Legacy.

4) You should get this error message that says requested buffer did not match other plug ins:

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 6.42.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 6.42.13 PM.png (79.01 KiB) Viewed 406 times

This seems to also be affected by whether DP’s plug-in windows are open or closed, because DP may switch a plug-in between “real time” and “pre gen” mode depending on the opened/closed status of the window. Pregen and realtime can use different sized buffers in the same project, so under certain conditions this creates a buffer size mismatch between UAD-2 plug-ins. The buffer size needs to be the same for all UAD-plug ins in a project.

Also, this problem ONLY manifests when there’s a one or more UAD-2 plug ins DIRECTLY in an DP insert… AND one or more UAD-2 plug ins inside Console 1. If the UAD-2 plugs are all directly in DP inserts… or all directly inside a Console 1 instance, no problem. It’s the mix and match situation that causes a problem.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Weird issue: DP11.11 and Console 1 + UAD-2 Plugs

Post by James Steele »

Hoping maybe going to Ventura might have somehow magically cured this. Nope.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!