UVI workstation- M5 patches- SOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UVI workstation- M5 patches- SOLVED

Post by SMS »

Just got my new M1 MB Pro. DP seems to be working. I know Mach Five isn't compatible, but I understood that UVI workstation would read any M5 patches. When I run UVI, and try to open any of the M5 .ufs banks, I get an error saying they're not authorized, use iLok to authorize, but those items have never been iLok protected...

When I try to open any other Programs I've created, nothing happens...

What am I missing?
Last edited by SMS on Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: UVI workstation- M5 patches

Post by James Steele »

I'm still in the Intel world, but from what I've read online, if a plug-in isn't M1-compatible strange things can happen. Not sure if UVI Workstation is M1 compatible yet, but I would try running DP in Rosetta mode. I believe you can Get Info on the app and there's some sort of check box. Then try it again? I could be totally wrong here... but might be worth a shot.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

James Steele wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:26 amNot sure if UVI Workstation is M1 compatible yet
Oops... it has been since V 3.1.0 and it's up to 3.1.3 now. Hmmm... I may try opening some MachFive banks tomorrow and see what happens. They all open fine in Falcon.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SMS

Post by SMS »

Thanks, James.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
SMS

Post by SMS »

Ended up buying falcon and it also will not open the banks originally included with mach five. I’m waiting to hear back from UVI and will post the reply upon receipt.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

SMS wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:53 pm Ended up buying falcon and it also will not open the banks originally included with mach five. I’m waiting to hear back from UVI and will post the reply upon receipt.
I set up Falcon as a replacement for MachFive using OS 10.13 and DP 10. Updating the OS to Mojave seemed to mess up some of parts of the setup. It looked like Falcon lost memory of the the locations of the patches it has loaded before, and had to be shown the paths again. I have a closer look tomorrow and see if I can verify this. If so, I suspect the problem is DP 11.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

SMS wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:09 pm Just got my new M1 MB Pro. DP seems to be working. I know Mach Five isn't compatible, but I understood that UVI workstation would read any M5 patches. When I run UVI, and try to open any of the M5 .ufs banks, I get an error saying they're not authorized, use iLok to authorize, but those items have never been iLok protected...

When I try to open any other Programs I've created, nothing happens...

What am I missing?
Yes, everything from UVI is iLok protected, and everything from M53 was as well. I just ran into this too, the only library that came with Machfive 3 that's authorized outside of M53 is Extreme FX, that's loading, but all other libraries are not loading even with the iLok key plugged in that has the M53 authorization on it. :banghead:

I've run into a nasty bug with Retrospective Record on the latest version of DP11, (after three passes hard crashing etc) so I was going to call MOTU tech support anyway, so I'll run this by them tomorrow as well. It might be a matter of getting UVI to authorize iLok for those libraries, or of installing MAchFive3 on the M1 to authorize the libraries? For sure they run just fine in Falcon on the Intel Mac here. :smash:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
SMS

Post by SMS »

That’s helpful, thanks.

You say all the original Mark five content is iLok protected, But none of them show up in the list of authorizations on my iLok account so it’s a little bit puzzling.

Will be nice to find out what Motu says about this so I look forward you posting anything you learn.
Last edited by SMS on Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Michael Canavan

SMS wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:29 pm That’s helpful, thanks.

You say all deep original Mark five content is iLok protected, But none of them show up in the list of authorizations on my iLike account so it’s a little bit puzzling.

Very nice to find out what Motu says about this so I look forward you posting anything you learn.
I'm guessing it's tied to the Machfive3 license. Piecing it together Soundtoys say their particular iLok issues are why they haven't jumped on M1 yet, and for giggles I installed M53 on the MacBook Air here, to no avail, it crashes in stand alone, and isn't recognized as a plug in. So it's very likely it's a Machfive 3 iLok issue, which may be a dead end unfortunately.

I'm putting the ilok back on the Mac Pro but out of curiosity upon attempting to open up Jbass on the Mac Pro without the iLok attached with the M53 license, I get the same authorization message. So the libraries are attached to the M53 hard dongle iLok license. Upon plugging in the iLok with the M53 license they load just fine.... so yeah... Hopefully there's a solution, but I think your best bet is VEP and a slave machine with the M53 libraries on it. :x

At least it's not like the Alchemy AU/VSTi, that got killed in a Mac OS update. but you can run it in Logic.... :banghead:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
SMS

Post by SMS »

Some M5 patches allow you to save the patch and samples which then open in Falcon.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

SMS wrote:Ended up buying falcon and it also will not open the banks originally included with mach five. I’m waiting to hear back from UVI and will post the reply upon receipt.
Geez. I’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully UVI can help you out. Falcon is a great product to have.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bayswater wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:22 pm
SMS wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:53 pm Ended up buying falcon and it also will not open the banks originally included with mach five. I’m waiting to hear back from UVI and will post the reply upon receipt.
I set up Falcon as a replacement for MachFive using OS 10.13 and DP 10. Updating the OS to Mojave seemed to mess up some of parts of the setup. It looked like Falcon lost memory of the the locations of the patches it has loaded before, and had to be shown the paths again. I have a closer look tomorrow and see if I can verify this. If so, I suspect the problem is DP 11.
I can verify this is working for me. I have loads of .M5p files in a large folder created when I used MachFive to create libraries of instruments from hardware sample players I had (using SampleMaker). UVI did not remember their location but will load them with no problems and show the instrument exactly as it appeared in M5. UVI also has no problems with the instruments that came with M5, or with libraries I bought later prior to switching to Falcon.

Both MachFive and UVI appear on my iLok, and while the libraries I bought directly from UVI also appear there, those that came with MachFive don't.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll tell you one thing very strange I learned tonight. Even though MachFive 3 seems to struggle now in DP11.03 and Mojave I'll be keeping it around a bit. Turns out that Falcon, at least for me, can no longer import and open Logic EXS instruments. It attempts to do so, but generates errors saying that it cannot find the samples, yet the directory it shows in the error message is correct. Clicking the "Find all missing samples" button opens an empty Falcon file browser that is oriented to instruments. Audio files don't appear. Yet, MachFive 3 has NO problem opening EXS instruments.

I had a whole bunch of these on my old boot drive back from when I bought Logic Express years ago and thought it can't hurt to have more instruments handy. I'd forgot about them and was going to move them onto my Sample Libraries drive and organize it somewhat only to learn they make Falcon choke. I did report it to UVI tech support. I hope they fix this as I'd like to eventually wean all my projects away from MachFive 3 since it's EOL.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

UVI wrote me back and said it’s not happening for them. Go figure.

Michael Canavan

James Steele wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:05 am I'll tell you one thing very strange I learned tonight. Even though MachFive 3 seems to struggle now in DP11.03 and Mojave I'll be keeping it around a bit. Turns out that Falcon, at least for me, can no longer import and open Logic EXS instruments. It attempts to do so, but generates errors saying that it cannot find the samples, yet the directory it shows in the error message is correct. Clicking the "Find all missing samples" button opens an empty Falcon file browser that is oriented to instruments. Audio files don't appear. Yet, MachFive 3 has NO problem opening EXS instruments.

I had a whole bunch of these on my old boot drive back from when I bought Logic Express years ago and thought it can't hurt to have more instruments handy. I'd forgot about them and was going to move them onto my Sample Libraries drive and organize it somewhat only to learn they make Falcon choke. I did report it to UVI tech support. I hope they fix this as I'd like to eventually wean all my projects away from MachFive 3 since it's EOL.
So MOTU and UVI had a deal with Chicken Systems for the translation part of MachFive 3. UVI only kept the EXS conversion in Falcon, but I'm betting it's some sort of in house version, not something they needed Chicken Systems for or it's a really old version of the CS software. I've complained directly to UVI developers on KVR about this, because Mainstage includes Autosampler which makes EXS sample files out of anything really. EXS even with it being Mac only is the most universal open sample library format out there. NI have closed off .nki patches so it's not an option anymore. I thought they fixed it, that's upsetting but not surprising.
UVI wrote me back and said it’s not happening for them. Go figure.
Yeah makes sense if it's super old versions of Chicken Systems code, they would have to pay to upgrade it for Falcon and at this point they probably figure it's a niche concern...

Makes me think about getting Chicken Systems Translator directly, this is about the third time I've owned a plug in, editor etc. that lost functionality this way. It's an impressive list of translations. http://www.chickensys.com/products2/tra ... rmats.html They rarely but occasionally go on sale, other than that I'll have to see how I'm doing after taxes. :surrender: