Motu Interfaces rack ears

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
bivouacrecording
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu Interfaces rack ears

Post by bivouacrecording »

Hi!

One of my rack ears got lost for my 828mk2 and I was wondering if anyone went so far as to create a CAD file of the typical rack ears. I want to send it to the local metal workshop to make.

I put in a request to MOTU but still waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu Interfaces rack ears

Post by bayswater »

bivouacrecording wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:22 am I want to send it to the local metal workshop to make
Why not send the one you have and ask for the mirror image?
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

You might put out a call to see if anyone has a non-functioning unit with the correct ears that they're willing to part out. I should think that's cheaper, easier and quicker. Of course, this board doesn't allow Buy & Sell so anyone having what you need has to PM you.

I'd put up a notice on Gearbase and Reverb.com, too. Likewise, keep an eye on eBay for "parts, non working" units.

I don't rackmount my 828mkII but, since it's fully functional with the last version of the firmware, I can't sell my rack ears. If I ever sell it, I'd expect the buyer to want them.

Good luck.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bivouacrecording
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by bivouacrecording »

Ok thanks. I think I will just CAD it up and have it made. If it works then I will post the CAD file in the forum for public use.

Most of the current interfaces have the same style of rack ears so I think it will be helpful for people in a pinch or buying units from ebay without rack ears. A full set is $15 in the MOTU shop. Perhaps an online metal workshop can cut it for less than 10.

If someone has the joiner piece for 2 half rack interfaces, I could also CAD that up if you give me a pencil sketch of the measurements.

I will post my progress in the coming weeks.

Thanks!