DP11 is here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP11 is here! >> Bundles?

Post by waterstrum »

bayswater wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:36 pm Maybe I've forgotten how Bundles work -- I usually start with templates. I'm finding in DP 11, I have to create bundles every time I start a new project. I see two default Busses for Reverb and Delay (don't remember that before) and bundles for the built in channel on the computer using the names published by the device in AudioMIDI Setup. But other bundles and the names I create for all bundles have to be re-created for every project. Exporting and importing bundles works OK, but I don't recall having to do this with earlier versions.
Just to be sure... Do you know that you can export and import bundles?

Find a past project that has your desired bundle and export and save the bundle.
When you open a new project, you can import the bundle.
Then save the whole deal as a template.

In my case, the bundles are a major PITA to reconstruct, so this saves much labor.
All is well
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

waterstrum wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:34 am
bayswater wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:36 pm Maybe I've forgotten how Bundles work -- I usually start with templates. I'm finding in DP 11, I have to create bundles every time I start a new project. I see two default Busses for Reverb and Delay (don't remember that before) and bundles for the built in channel on the computer using the names published by the device in AudioMIDI Setup. But other bundles and the names I create for all bundles have to be re-created for every project. Exporting and importing bundles works OK, but I don't recall having to do this with earlier versions.

Find a past project that has your desired bundle and export and save the bundle.

In my case, the bundles are a major PITA to reconstruct, so this saves much labor.
Yes, as I mentioned in the last sentence, exporting and importing bundles works, but I don't recall having to do that for every project in earlier versions.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bjornln

Re: DP11 is here!

Post by bjornln »

Hi guys,

Just started to migrate a few hundred projects, some of them had Soundfiles in AIFF-fortmats, all from DP 3.x and up to DP 11.
Just a FYI....
You will probably need to migrate to DP10 first (DP11 crashed). I had a few old things (plugins & VI's that doesn't exist anymore) that I needed to clean up before I did a save a copy in DP 10 format. After that I could open it in DP11, and save it in DP11 format. painless, but it takes awhile to convert it.

/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for the heads-up on the migration path for older projects. The ones that I have in that category are stereo down-mixes uploaded from 1980's and 1990's tape based projects, so I can probably convert those in another app if necessary, then re-import into a new DP11 project. They were from before I knew you could have songs as multiple chunks in the same project, and I've always needed to consolidate them anyway.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The "upgrade path" shouldn't be necessary 'cause MOTU has always given DP the ability to load projects going way back to the Performer days.

I'm guessing outdated / incompatible plugins are to blame.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:54 am
waterstrum wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:34 am

Yes, as I mentioned in the last sentence, exporting and importing bundles works, but I don't recall having to do that for every project in earlier versions.
Oops!
Sorry for the goof.
Obviously you can Import and export.
In my case, when I import the old bundle and save the whole thing as a template, the imported bundle is saved with the template.
I save the template and can call it up as desired.
Same now in DP11.
All is well
James Steele
Site Administrator

"Never Scroll Your Template Again" Videos

Post by James Steele »

I thought this was possibly such an important potential breakthrough in workflow for DP users that are using large templates with VE Pro, etc. and doing orchestral mockups, that I posted two YouTube videos by Evan Goldman in the Video Tutorial section. I may even start doing this myself even though I tend to just do smaller rock/pop projects. Here are the links to the MOTUnation topics that contain the YouTube videos:

Never Scroll Your Template Again, Pt 1
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69032

Never Scroll Your Template Again, Pt 2
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69033

I think these will be worth your time.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BobK

Re: "Never Scroll Your Template Again" Videos

Post by BobK »

James Steele wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:13 pm I thought this was possibly such an important potential breakthrough in workflow for DP users that are using large templates with VE Pro, etc. and doing orchestral mockups, that I posted two YouTube videos by Evan Goldman in the Video Tutorial section. I may even start doing this myself even though I tend to just do smaller rock/pop projects. Here are the links to the MOTUnation topics that contain the YouTube videos:

Never Scroll Your Template Again, Pt 1
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69032

Never Scroll Your Template Again, Pt 2
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69033

I think these will be worth your time.
Great stuff! Thanks, James!
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: "Never Scroll Your Template Again" Videos

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:52 pm Great stuff! Thanks, James!
I fixed the video link in the "Part 2" post. It was the Part 1 video link repeated.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Awesome sauce, Jimbo; thanks mate. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
gulliverity

Post by gulliverity »

Michael Canavan wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:02 am
gulliverity wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:59 pm I must be the only one here on an M1 Mac using VSL virtual instruments. Thank God I ran the 30-day demo before plunking down cash! DP11 will not recognise Vienna Symphony's MAS nor VST plug-ins. You will get an error message the first time you run a project which contained them indicating a long list of the instances which cannot be located. The only option is to re-assign them — one by one — to Vienna's AU plug-in.

If you revert to DP10 and open that same project, you'll get a bit of a scare to receive the same warning, but fortunately in this case DP only disabled the MAS plug-in. Re-enabling brings joy back to the world.

NOTE: If one is a glutton for punishment, one can force DP11 to run in Rosetta mode ("Get Info" in the Finder) and it will recognise the MAS/VST plug-ins. The Map Articulation only seems to work with Synchron Player using the VST plug-in which is another hassle if you've been using the MAS version all this while.

If I had paid MOTU $195 for their advertised compatibility with Apple Silicon...after the wait from November 20th without a peep from them... I would not want to be on the receiving end of THAT phone call.
The VEP plug in is not Apple Silicon compatible yet, it has to be run in Rosetta. This is on VSL not MOTU. Logic supposedly can run Rosetta plug ins in the M1 version, but nobody recommends doing it, i.e. it runs badly.
Yes, it is on VSL. They state they will get on the AS version of the plug-in after their transition to iLok. (They do say that they have an in-house version that is running well. Wish they would release a beta.) But I still stand behind my comment that DP11 is currently a waste of money for anyone with a M1 mac and VSL templates. Other than loading the VST3 version whilst running Rosetta just to see what all the Articulation Maps fuss is about, of course. That is admittedly cool and well-suited to the 30-day demo period. The funny thing is that DP10.3 does not officially support AS or Big Sur, but I have never had an issue with my VSL templates on it. For example, playing back the same file, the processor chugs along at 25% in DP10 versus constantly blowing out in DP11. Oh well. It's good to have viable options...
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

There are many plugins not running ARM yet either. it is what it is. You are early adopter.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Once again, things are back-assword. It's the computer that's "useless" because it doesn't run the software. It's not the software that's useless because it won't run on a computer it's not written for. Yes, sometimes, some people have to buy a new computer, and all they can get is one that doesn't run their software. But that doesn't make the software useless.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:55 pm Once again, things are back-assword. It's the computer that's "useless" because it doesn't run the software. It's not the software that's useless because it won't run on a computer it's not written for. Yes, sometimes, some people have to buy a new computer, and all they can get is one that doesn't run their software. But that doesn't make the software useless.
I agree with this but I think there's a relative time limit to this as well.

The way it works is pretty straightforward, developers that put off recoding their software to eliminate depreciated code end up with huge amounts of "debt". So people who did not at least start to recode when Carbon was depreciated ended up being really bit when Catalina ditched it entirely. This was true when Apple went to x86 as well, they let people know for years that Codewarrior was depreciated and strongly recommended switching to Xcode. NI ignored them and took forever to get to x86 macs. They're poised to do the same thing with M1 as well, their GUI framework is 15 years old.

I 100% bellieve it's up to us as consumers to be aware that adopting new tech before your software is ready is a recipe for disaster, and IMO in the bigger picture it is the end consumers fault, but I also believe that some developers are quick to attempt to blame Apple etc. for their own bad planning, laziness with keeping their software current etc. There are far too many examples of developers that keep their code up to date in a timely manor for me to forgive the ones that don't.

I'm using my upcoming purchase of the 16" Macbook Pro Apple Silicon laptop as a chance to clean house and "depreciate" software on my system. I don't plan on running much of anything in Rosetta, not DP or any plug ins. The stragglers will stay on the Mac Pro and not get upgrades if I can help it.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
gulliverity

Post by gulliverity »

bayswater wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:55 pm Once again, things are back-assword. It's the computer that's "useless" because it doesn't run the software. It's not the software that's useless because it won't run on a computer it's not written for. Yes, sometimes, some people have to buy a new computer, and all they can get is one that doesn't run their software. But that doesn't make the software useless.
DP11, costing $195 to "upgrade", runs poorly in self-forced Rosetta mode as compared to DP10 in default Rosetta mode. It's an apples to apples comparison. If an absolutely-required third-party plug-in is not available in an AS version, then DP11's Rosetta performance is all that matters. By that very specific metric, yes, the software is currently useless.

The future is guaranteed to bring an AS version of the VSL plug-in and a dot release of DP11 (perhaps with improved Rosetta performance). Till that day arrives, I see no issue with my comments existing as a warning to other M1/VSL users with their finger hovering over the "submit order" button at the MOTU website.

Pretty much only M1 owners (or other Early Adopters) will understand this, but after many months of not having softwares working, the phrase "Apple Silicon compatible" triggers a need to make an immediate purchase. DP11, ironically, is the first case on this — again, very specific — side of it being a step backwards. Six months from now this post will be laughably outdated.