DP11 is here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP11 is here!

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:14 am
bayswater wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:03 am
dix wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:54 am Really? There's nothing new on the MOTU Youtube channel. Guess they're afraid it might attract new users. :)
There's plenty on Motu.com of all places.
Plenty on 10, I only see 3 short ones on 11, on the What's New page...are there more somewhere?
I wasn't referring to youtube. There's a lot of stuff describing DP 11 on the MOTU site. I got there from the email they sent out.
https://motu.com/en-us/products/software/dp/
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

This sure is a pleasant surprise, with one small caveat:

I can't help but feel that the integer update was brought forward due to the necessity of providing native AS support. Sure, the other additions and enhancements I've heard of are cool, but I'm not seeing an integer-upgrade's worth of stuff there.

As soon as you throw in coding for an entirely new chip configuration, then it becomes a big deal... maybe... sort of.

IOW, I was expecting an end-of-year or early-next-year release with a few more enhancements and additions, with AS support arriving in the meantime with a point update.

Still, I'm happy & grateful. Thank you, MOTU! :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yep, PDF's are great; but browser-hosted docs (or video-only "manuals") not so good, as most of us need to keep our browsers from launching while doing intensive DP sessions, to preserve resources.

Great feature list for DP11. Not sure I can take the risk while finalizing some projects, but maybe in a month or two.

I might be tempted to buy an MPE controller now that DP will support them!

Scalable fonts are a life-saver at my age; I'm starting to really struggle with some of the text these days.

The MIDI 2.0 spec is near-finalized now, and I've been working hard on trying to prepare for supporting it in my current project. Lots of restructuring (and I'm working solo) but it actually leads to a cleaner code base ultimately, as one ends up being forced to decouple and abstract a lot of concepts that kind of got munged together in traditional MIDI 1.x implementations.

Hopefully MOTU benefitted as well from the demands of MPE support and related MIDI 2.0 preparations.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
FlikPat

Post by FlikPat »

They literally just stopped me from throwing up my hands and switching to Logic. The Icon Control Surface integration is the clincher for me. I'm on a 2013 Mac Pro that I upgraded with more RAM and bigger drive and while my new studio is being constructed, I was just going to keep everything in storage and hope that the new Mac Pros will be shipping with Apple Silicon chips my the time it's done. Now I'm tempted to keep a small workstation together and dig into DP11, knowing that when I do upgrade to a Silicon Mac Pro, DP11 will be an easy transition.

Would be great to know if their control surface upgrades mean there will be a usable iPad/iPhone remote app.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

+ 1 _ I'm a bit puzzled and you book the words out of my mouth; it looks like a 10.5 version and MOTU would have come out of it grown commercially but perhaps not financially.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating . 8)
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
BobK

Post by BobK »

monkey man wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:04 pm I'm not seeing an integer-upgrade's worth of stuff there.
I agree.

And I don’t know of other DAWs that required an integer update for Big Sur compatibility.

Stll, I bought it.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
MW1

Post by MW1 »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:34 am
MW1 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:22 am Motu normally give a 30 day trial for new major versions but I don't see the option on the website...anyone know if there's a downloadable trial version?
No and Yes. The License Manager has not changed since DP 9.5.

There never has been a trial version. Since version 8, DP will run for 30 days without a license. Since included UVI VI libraries were introduced with DP 10, you will not be able to download those and the included loops without a license. If you had 10, you can access them from 11.
OK, that's what I meant - 30 days without a license... I'm on DP10 so I'm not worried about UVI libraries etc.

So, does anyone know if the installer gives the option to run for 30 days before authorising?
MW1

Post by MW1 »

MW1 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:29 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:34 am
MW1 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:22 am Motu normally give a 30 day trial for new major versions but I don't see the option on the website...anyone know if there's a downloadable trial version?
No and Yes. The License Manager has not changed since DP 9.5.

There never has been a trial version. Since version 8, DP will run for 30 days without a license. Since included UVI VI libraries were introduced with DP 10, you will not be able to download those and the included loops without a license. If you had 10, you can access them from 11.
OK, that's what I meant - 30 days without a license... I'm on DP10 so I'm not worried about UVI libraries etc.

So, does anyone know if the installer gives the option to run for 30 days before authorising?
Answering my own question here... I just downloaded the installer and yes, you can run DP11 in demo mode for 30 days.

Trying it out now...
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

wylie1 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:04 am
ironchef_marc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:50 am Excited!
I finally will be able to retire my 2008 Power Mac and upgrade to Mac Mini M1 and DP11 (still on Dp9) I have some catch up to do. Albeit I wonder if I should wait for a Mac Mini that will offer more than 16GB of RAM...
Same here, my 2008 is still chugging along I'm pretty sure a Mini with 8gb will be an performance improvement.
I'm thinking about that too, but wondering about the lack of ports on the M1 mac minis. I've got 2 monitors (VGAs. Will they work?) I'll need a big external HD, iLok, 828 mk3, keyboard/mouse obviously. I guess there's some expander/hub. Have to do the research I guess.
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
dix

Post by dix »

BobK wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:18 pm
monkey man wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:04 pm I'm not seeing an integer-upgrade's worth of stuff there.
I agree.

And I don’t know of other DAWs that required an integer update for Big Sur compatibility.
I was wondering why MOTU didn't put AS compatibility at the the top of the list of new features. It's a huge deal. But I think you're right. Compatibility isn't a feature. It's the bare minimum a software company has to do be in business.

That said, I think the updated feature-set is well worth the price. There's a lot of new stuff for me in it...Plus an integer update was overdue.

Favorite new unheralded feature: Transpose Excluded tracks. That's been long overdue
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:04 pm This sure is a pleasant surprise, with one small caveat:

I can't help but feel that the integer update was brought forward due to the necessity of providing native AS support. Sure, the other additions and enhancements I've heard of are cool, but I'm not seeing an integer-upgrade's worth of stuff there.

As soon as you throw in coding for an entirely new chip configuration, then it becomes a big deal... maybe... sort of.

IOW, I was expecting an end-of-year or early-next-year release with a few more enhancements and additions, with AS support arriving in the meantime with a point update.

Still, I'm happy & grateful. Thank you, MOTU! :headbang:
If the major new features are not of use, then it's GUI improvements and (we hope) bug fixes. If they are, it seems to me it is comparable to other integer upgrades of DP as well as upgrade of other apps.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

I think if you factor out the Big Sur and M1 compatibility and improved control surface integration (assuming it is in fact substantially improved), there aren't that many features to warrant an "11" release. This seems like a "10.14" release to me. I'm sure MOTU invested a lot for those features and I can understand why they want to monetize that effort but since I'm on an Intel Catalina machine with no control surface, I don't know that I can pony up $195 for this. I was hoping for a lot of interface improvements and workflow features, many of which have been requested for years. I'll revisit and repost my list for "11.1". Also, did they mention any significant "under the hood" enhancements"? I'm sure I'll upgrade at some point but I don't know that I'll go for it just now.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I’ve got to 100% disagree with all of you that think it doesn’t warrant a point release upgrade. MPE alone is some deep level coding to implement, then there’s articulation maps, control surface support, an upgraded sampler with time stretching built in, resizable faders, new tools, better Clips support, new Score features, Chunk folders, etc etc. Even if none of it was stuff I personally would use it’s still an impressive list of improvements.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
profdraper

Post by profdraper »

BobK wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:18 pm And I don’t know of other DAWs that required an integer update for Big Sur compatibility.
Totally agree ... *everyone* else provided Big Sur & M1 compatibility as a free update and before and paid versions. DP11 seems to have a good deal of new features, however, ethically MOTU should have provided at least Big Sur support for DP10. Shonky.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

profdraper wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:46 pm
BobK wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:18 pm And I don’t know of other DAWs that required an integer update for Big Sur compatibility.
Totally agree ... *everyone* else provided Big Sur & M1 compatibility as a free update and before and paid versions. DP11 seems to have a good deal of new features, however, ethically MOTU should have provided at least Big Sur support for DP10. Shonky.
Would you prefer a subscription approach? Not me.