Snapshot Implementation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
grouse
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Snapshot Implementation

Post by grouse »

Every few years, I go and read the 'Snapshot' section of the DP manual, get confused and go back to never using the feature.
I feel like it could be very valuable but I can't seem to make it practical for me.

Bearing in mind I'm on DP 7 and things could have developed but what I have always wanted is, for example, below "Insert" where we enter automation, another drop-down menu called "Snapshot" with the exact same parameters as 'Insert". Clicking on an individual parameter would read where the setting is currently and add a single automation line. In fact, it seems to me it could replace "Insert".
This way, each individual parameter as it's currently set would be at your fingertips in one click.

Say I have a plug-in that doesn't have a numerical reading, just a knob, with one click you could find out where you have it set currently. Dead handy for doing different takes with different plug-in settings.
What's always freaked me out about Snapshot, as it is now, and, as I understand it, is the setting of multiple parameters and the visual getting clogged up, particlarly with fx with loads of knobs and sliders. I like to see exactly the automation I have that changes, not just all sorts of parameters that I just set and leave.
The current menus seem too restrictive. I've messed with Automation Setup but this is for automation globally and not just snapshot so there's a lot of back and forth. I can't seem to get it to work easily, anyway.

Right now, what I do as a work-around is activate automation record and move dials and then delete unnecessary automation points.

So....maybe I'm misunderstanding the feature (highly possible!) or it's moved on from DP 7 but I'm curious as to how people use it, is it just a way to set lots of parameters in one click?
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
ronjams

Re: Snapshot Implementation

Post by ronjams »

I have to admit that the snapshot automation feature is a bit unorthodox in its approach and could use better implementation however you must learn how to use it. It is a must I could not work as fast without using this feature. Automation becomes necessary if you’re doing any type of orchestral scoring where you’re dealing with a lot of dynamic instruments you have to use snapshot automation. Granted it’s not the only way. I like the precision of this command.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
grouse

Post by grouse »

Absolutely, I get that it would be useful, as it is now, for certain situations.
What I would love is more precision....leave all the options as they are currently but add the facility to be able to pin-point instantly what you'd like to 'snap', directly from the Sequence Editor.
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Completely in your boat grouse. What I need to do is spend a day with it. just going over the manual and working with scratch tracks trying to figure it out without the learning curve getting in the way of actual production.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
grouse

Post by grouse »

Part of the reason for this post was to see if much had changed in this department from 7 to 10 and I'm guessing it hasn't.
I feel like I need this on every single project I do. I seem to often be looking for a plug setting, moving through windows, losing my train and then I think 'Snapshot must be able to do this' but now I don't think it can.
Might submit a feature request, if possible.