Are we screwed out of our old os9 plugs with osx

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toobiesnack
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Are we screwed out of our old os9 plugs with osx

Post by toobiesnack »

i will not move up to osx becuase i have NO plugs that will work :(
well will not ... really ... can not... is more like it...

i have gotten used to certain work environment and now i have to basically ..
re-train myself and reprogam my computer ... and buy MORE NEW stuff!!!
What the heck?
thye have a shell for everything else why not a shell for our old os9 plug ins...
i mean He!! .. there not MORE processor intensive ... ????
so anyone else pissed off about this?
Sorry if my cander is less than amicable but ... this is really frustrating ...
Is it possible to at least create a list of plug-ins that will work in osx ..?
it seems like all the old stuff didn't move up to osx ... rather ... new products were created .. and since i am so out of touch with the industry rags (pro-audio magazines) i need help ... as i am sure others do...
AS OF NOW ... i can only load Altiveb 4 and Blue Tubes

thanks
ts
dtobocman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dtobocman »

Staying in OS9 because of plugs is a good reason... Sorry, I have no more words of encouragement.
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Not the least bit pissed off..I've moved on
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
dix

Post by dix »

Nope. I've never been happier w my DAW environment.

btw - NONE of your OS9 plugins are comatible w OSX without an update. OSX has a completely different architicture. Most of the mainstream plugins made the switch (a long time ago). What plugins are you looking for?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
westla

Post by westla »

Dude ... come on ... progress.

How long has OSX been out????
toobiesnack

Post by toobiesnack »

well given that....i can , one day, get a fast machine ...(better than 1gig 1 gig daul preferred)
i love the way dp works it's just my plug choices...
i can't afford a faster machine right now.. (g4/400)
but i do plan to upgrade the processor in this one soon..

the plugs i really use/miss are:
all the lexicon stuff (lexicompress.psp42)
and most af all TC Native reverb etc
channel strip (which does have an update to osx)
amplitube
finalator..

mostly lush reverbs ... sparkly delays ... and multi-channel limiting/compression .. like a tc finalizer ...
and some light duty compressors (light cpu overhead)... like the lexicompress... this way i can use them across multiple tracks..

does anyone have a suite of plugs they can suggest that will acheive these results in osx?

altiverb would be too intense except for mains/aux right?
altiverb has some lexicon IR's has anyone tried them?
altiverb could esaily replace my tc electronics verbs but what about some great compression/limiting?

i like channel strip for it's eq section ... fast and and easy to customise ...easy on the eyes too :)

never really liked the compression section ..

anyway some day i'll have the computer of my dreams and the plug suite of my dreams ... :) ::: till then i'll need help to prepare for this...
thanks
ts
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

Well, if what you have works, then don't upgrade. You will, however, someday be left in the dust.

To borrow your quote: "Sorry if my cander (sic)is less than amicable but ..."

Most plug-ins have had reasonably priced upgrades. True, some do not exist. However, most people who cling to OS 9 to keep using their favorite plugs seem to have a lot of plugs that have a [k] next to them. If this does not apply to your system, then contact the manufacturer of your plugs to see about the upgrade path. If you are using [k] plugs then you have no right to complain about it. In any case, you are not getting "screwed" out of your OS 9 plugs. They will still work as they did when you bought them. You are merely a victim of progress. Either get with the program and upgrade or quit complaining.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
Ernest Buckley

Post by Ernest Buckley »

I`ve been using OS X for a little over a year now and love it. However I have still not updated my Wave Plugs. So I go back to OS 9 occassionally. Let me tell you, working in X and then going back to 9 is really a PITA. I will eventually suck it up and upgrade.

And another thought, how long are you going to postpone the eventual move to OS X?

Thanks,
Ernest
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

If all your stuff work well for you in OS 9, then you don't have to upgrade until something breaks down. No rule saying upgrading is obligatory. Use tools that work for you. Until they don't.

That said, I'm running 4.6 on OSX (new is one of my favorite flavors) and loving every minute of it.

Um. To quote Loverboy. Which I'm apt to do. I guess.
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

Please !!!!
For my recolection , what is existing in os 9 that you cannot find is OSX ?
Aramis
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .