how to transfer adat tracks?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rumble
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

how to transfer adat tracks?

Post by rumble »

hello

i have a:

-g4 533 (10.3.9)
-2408 mk3
-pci 424
-MIDI timepiece av
-dp 4.5

that i haven't had much time to explore.

i have a friend showig up in about a week with an adat that wants to transfer adat tracks int ot the mac so i can add more tracks to them.

i've been looking in the pci 424 manual about how to do this but am not finding exactly how to do this (even though i'm RTFM"...)

i can't find my dp manual.

can someone walk me through how to do this?

i know i need a 9 pin sync cable, but do i basically set up 8 rec enabled tracks in dp and set the adat sync as master then dump them into dp that way using an optical cable? emailing me off list is ok.
rumble@metrocast.net

thanks
studiodog
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by studiodog »

9 pin sync cable from ADAT to MTP AV. Optical from ADAT to 2408. Make sure MTP is set to match ADAT rate. 44.1 or 48, probably the latter. In DP set to Sample Accurate sync and make sure Samp. rate is same as MTP and ADAT. In DP select ADAT as sync master and from there you should have it.
Engage multi record and do it...

If I missed anything then someone jump in and add it...
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I do this all the time. you don't need to connect the adat to the mtp av - this enables you to chase the adats to dp and MMC. You do need connect the last slaved adat's sync cable out into the 424 (this is where dp gets its clock to sync to the adats) then use the ADAT's optical out/s into the 2408. Make sure dp's sample rate is set to 48khz (adat default- unless your client ran his adats at 44.1.) and dp's clock is set to the adat in. If you only have one adat and no sync cable you can get away with using the clock from the optical in. Set dp's sync is to the adat pr optical (in transport window's drawer) , hit record, then play on the adats and you're in business. After the xfer set DPs clock back to internal. have fun
studiodog

Post by studiodog »

But if you needed to transfer more than an 8 track session then the MTP connection would become necessary.

With only 8 tracks you can get it it done pretty easy like pencilina said...
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

You can transfer as many adats as you have inputs for to dp without connecting them to the mtp. You need to connect the last adat in the chain's sync out to your 4/324 card's syn in. Syncing the adats to dp via the mtp can be a royal pain in the ass and only necessary if you want to have them chase a track or respond to MIDI machine control. But what do I know I've only done this hundreds of times.
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

Do what Pencilina says.
To reiterate, if it is only one ADAT tape, then you do not need to mess with a nine pin ADAT sync cable and you would simply use ADAT optical for DP's clock source. If it is more than one tape, you WILL need to do what Pencilina said. When you do copy ADAT tapes into DP with a sync cable, and the lightpipe for the audio, the clock source is set to ADAT nine pin sync, when you hit record in DP the record light will flash and not start because it is waiting for the ADAT machine to start. This is of course if you have followed the advice by Pencilina.
dpDan
studiodog

Post by studiodog »

If you have an MTP AV, can anyone give me a good reason NOT to use it to sync the ADATs?

As I've only done this hundreds of times too I can't really speak from much experience. :)

That's just the way I've always done it and it works... And the guy does have an MTP AV.
rumble

Post by rumble »

wow

thanks for all the great info.

at some point he's going to be creating 16 traks of adat with his 2 machines.

i will probably only have one machine here.

can he send me the adat tapes from the 2 machines, and can i load tracks
from them one tape at a time and still somehow have them be in sync once i get them into dp?

also, someone gave me a cd (or dvd) of a few pro tools sessions)

can i somehow load those into dp?

thanks again.....!
studiodog

Post by studiodog »

i will probably only have one machine here.

can he send me the adat tapes from the 2 machines, and can i load tracks
from them one tape at a time and still somehow have them be in sync once i get them into dp?
My first reply is the way I do this. I went from a 32 trk, 4 ADAT setup from eons ago (it seems) and now I only keep one ADAT in the rack.

When I transfer multi tape sessions I assume that the MTP AV is required as thats how I've always done it with only one ADAT active.

If there is another way that will maintain sync from tape to tape I'd like to know...
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

I don't even know what an MTP AV is, and I transfer mutiple ADAT tape sessions all the time into DP with a single MOTU 828MKII.

Connect a nine pin ADAT sync cable from the sync output of the ADAT machine, to the ADAT sync input on the audio interface, for instance, a MOTU 828, 2408 or similar hardware device. Also, connect a lightpipe (fiber-optic) from the ADAT machines' optical output, to the audio interface's optical input.

In the Apple menu bar, select SETUP, then "Configure Hardware System"
then "Configure Hardware Driver". Change the clock setting from internal, to "ADAT 9 pin". While you are in this box, make sure the sample rate is set to 48000. Now, go back to the Apple manu bar and select PROJECT. Select "Add Track", hold down option, and select "mono audio track", then change the value to 8. By holding down the option key, this allows you to choose how many tracks you want to create at the same time.

Hit 'shift T" this opens the tracks window. You will now see the 8 mono audio tracks that you just created. These eight tracks will be at the bottom of the list.
Still in the tracks window, if you wanted them to be placed in the list just below your "trumpet", you would highlight the name "trumpet" first before adding the new tracks, then, when you use the "Add Track" feature, DP will load the newly created tracks in your requested order. This keeps you from having to sit there an manually move each and every track.
So back to business...

Still in the tracks window, click on the "input" of the track that you want ADAT 1 to go to, you may want to title it "Kick" or whatever. Now, select "new mono bundle". Now select ADAT 1 for this track, and set all the others accordingly, ADAT 2, ADAT 3 etc. Don't be lazy, take the time to name each track as to what it is, and keep the name abbreviated so that it's name can be recognized in the mixing board, even when "use narrow view" is used. Also color coordinate all of your tracks, and keep them neatly organized. In this tracks window, you can highlight all the drum tracks, then hold down the "T" and select a color, they will all change together in one fast and simple keystroke.

In the Apple menu bar, select SETUP. Scroll down and select "Slave To External Sync" The red record light in the transport control box will become steady, and the blue "play" button will flash, indicating that DP is waiting to hear sync from your ADAT machine. As soon as you start your ADAT machine, DP will start recording. After you have transferred the first tape hit command "S" to save this recording, then insert the second tape and hit record in DP. Again, the play button will flash and wait for you to start your ADAT machine. DP will automatically sync to the exact location of this second tape's time code (sync) keeping all the tracks in perfect sync.
Don't forget to save after each pass.
Once all the tapes have been transferred, you will need to go back into the "Configure Hardware Driver" menu, and change the clock source back to "internal"

There. Ahhh!
To import a CD track/s, click "command B" to open the soundbites window. In the mini menu, select import CD audio. Find your CD on the desktop, and select the track/s you want to import. Once imported, if the newly copied CD track has a warning to the left, it indicates that either the sample rate, and/or the format needs changing to match the project. This can all be done right there in the soundbites window by highlighting the name of that soundbite, and then scrolling through the mini menu for the task that you want to perform. You can also look at all the information about each soundbite by selecting the "INFO" box.

To the left of each audio track, is either one or two squiggly lines. One squiggly means it is a mono audio track, two indicates it is stereo. Place the mouse over this squiggly, and drag it to an audio track in the sequence editor window. *NOTE* A stereo soundbite needs to be dragged into a "stereo" audio track, not a mono track, and vise-versa.

You're all set.

Whew!

dpDan