828mk2 - iMac hookup

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
rogerhewett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828mk2 - iMac hookup

Post by rogerhewett »

Hi,

I'm upgrading my system from a 2014 MacMini to a new iMac. Meaning I am now losing the Thunderbolt port and gaining a Lightning port. I'm still using an 828mkii interface, which I like to use because of its multiple analogue inputs. I've been using a series of adaptors to connect to the MacMini, with no problems, but now I appear to have come unstuck.

Is there any way I can still connect this interface to Lightning on the new iMac? I really don't want another major expense in addition to the computer. Alternatively, is there any way I can utilize the iMac's ethernet to connect?

I noticed there seem to be several here that still use the 828; maybe someone has a solution. I haven't seen it here...apologies if I missed it.

Many thanks for your input (pun intended).

Roger
Last edited by rogerhewett on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Re: 828mk2 - iMac hooku

Post by mikehalloran »

Meaning I am now losing the Thunderbolt port and gaining a Lightning port
Not quite.

An iMac does not have a Lightening port. Since 2017, they have Thunderbolt 3 over a USB-C port. You have two choices:

I'm betting that you have two of these components already. This is also how I do it.
FW400 to 800 cable or adapter goes to
Apple FW to TB 1/2 Adapter goes into
TB 1/2 cable goes into
Apple TB2 to TB3 Adapter that plugs into your iMac

The other way is
FW400 to 800 cable or adapter goes to
Apple FW to TB 1/2 Adapter goes into
Apple TB2 to TB3 Adapter that connects to
Thunderbolt 3 Cable that plugs into your iMac

There are many USB-C cables out there that do not pass TB3. If the cable is not rated 40GB/s it is not a Thunderbolt 3. The marketing is tricky and most devices needing USB-C cables do not require TB3.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rogerhewett

Re: 828mk2 - iMac hookup

Post by rogerhewett »

Hi Mike,

I stand most humbly (and rather embarrassingly) corrected. I've been trying to relocate the info that gave me the impression it had Lightning in place of TB....to no avail.

Thank you so much for your input and solution suggestions. I will locate a TB2-TB3 adaptor.

Best regards,

Roger
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

rogerhewett wrote:...I will locate a TB2-TB3 adaptor.
For a Mac, use the Apple. When firmware updates are required, it will receive them.

$49 …except when on sale for $49. :rofl:
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Thunderbol ... B01MQ26QIY

I get App Store/iTunes cards now and then. Those can be spent on nitnoid accessories like these.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL ... -2-adapter

You didn't ask but in case you're wondering: This cannot be used to connect a bus powered TB3 peripheral such as the Samsung X5 to a TB 1/2 port. Likewise can't be used to hook up a bus powered FW or TB1/2 device to a TB3 Mac. The adapter cannot pass bus power. If the peripheral has external power like your 828mkII, then perfect.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rogerhewett

Post by rogerhewett »

Thank you so much, Mark.

I've ordered the TB2-TB3 adaptor. Slowly getting there. Now if only I can get DP to recall the keycode so I don't have to enter it each time I open the software...but that's another topic!

All the best to you. You have helped me several times over the years.

Roger
rogerhewett

Post by rogerhewett »

First of all Mike, I apologize for calling you 'Mark' in my last message.

I did have a further problem with this situation; having installed the TB3-TB2 adaptor, the 828mk2 FW was still not being seen. I wrote to MOTU about it, and they responded within hours. In case anybody finds it useful, here is the info.

<This interface is technically not compatible with this later version of macOS. That being said, I've had good success with getting these going with the latest version of the driver.
It sounds like you might be encountering the added security layer in macOS 10.15 that requires new drivers to be "Allowed" to load after installation. It may help to remove and reinstall the drivers again. Instructions follow below:

Open a new Finder Window
Click "Go" at the top of your screen
Select "Computer"
Select "Macintosh HD"
Select "Library"
Select "Extensions"
Remove anything MOTU related in this directory

Download the latest version of the driver from the below link:

https://cdn-data.motu.com/downloads/aud ... 83634).pkg

After the installation is complete, restart your computer and immediately go to "System Preferences" > "Security and Privacy"
You'll see a message at the bottom of the "General" tab that says "Extensions were blocked"
Click "Allow"
Restart your computer again. The device should now be recognized>

This rectified the problem completely.

Thanks again for all your assistance. Until the next time..

Roger
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Cool!

>This interface is technically not compatible with this later version of macOS. < is code for: If you can make it work, great but we're not supporting that i.e. writing new drivers for these older interfaces.

The fact that it is not supported in the current OS has not kept it from working for myself and others. Sometimes a double-negative is correct.

As for myself, I've been pulling my hair trying to find the best current interface for digitalizing 4 and 8 track cassette recordings. The +18dBu line level common to nearly all the current units is uh... not ideal for this. My 828mkII lets me change those 8 Line In channels from +4 to -10. Bingo!

I really like those new Fast USB2 interfaces for my regular work but that +18 issue has not been fun—doesn't play nice with for my keyboards either but I have workarounds.
rogerhewett

Post by rogerhewett »

My 828mkII lets me change those 8 Line In channels from +4 to -10. Bingo!
Happy to hear they are still useful, and I'm not the only one still using one. I'm now a couple of weeks into the new setup and couldn't be happier! Thanks again for your expert guidance.
towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

Just got a 2020 MBPro 6 core that shipped with Catalina 1015.6. I haven't been able to get Audio MIDI Setup to recognize my legacy interfaces 896HD or 828mk2. Both are FW400.

I have all the correct adapters including Apple TB3-TB2 , Apple TB2 to FW800 and a FW800 to 400 adapter. They still don't show up in AMS. Also obviously the original audio drivers are outdated and won't work to install, so is this the correct Motu audio driver on their website to use for Catalina with legacy interfaces ? I know those interfaces are not listed , but do show up at the link if you click on legacy interfaces. Any other suggestions for getting this to show up and work?

thanks, Craig

Download (10.15.x)
v1.6.83634 | Jan. 2, 2020
Download (10.6.8-10.14.x)
v1.6.73220 | Jul. 1, 2017
Mac
Win
Change logs & Older versions (Legacy products) »

MOTU Audio Installer

Installs latest drivers and software for:
4pre
828x
828mk3 Hybrid
896mk3 Hybrid
8pre
Audio Express
MicroBook IIc
Track16
Traveler-mk3
UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid
Supports OS X 10.6.8-10.15.x
Touch OSC Layouts 1.0
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I believe that I’ve answered this in many other posts. You have to use the latest drivers and you have to let your Mac use those drivers. Apple and MOTU have support docs on this.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... ers-mojave

If this isn’t adequate, find the Apple support pages.

My 828mkII works perfectly over Mojave and Catalina with the Catalina drivers.

I was going to sell the unit but it has functionality missing in all of the latest interfaces, Chief among those features is to be able to set the input at -10. I can use it to import multitrack cassette and other semipro recordings directly via TB or as a standalone preamp to one of my other interfaces.