Problems with automation in 10.11

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Problems with automation in 10.11

Post by rainmaker »

The issue: I have automated a plugin to unbypass at a certain point in the song. It stays active for about 30 seconds, then is automated to bypass again. If playback is started before the first unbypass automation point, the plugin follows automation and unbypasses like it should. However, if I stop and start playback after the first automation point, the plugin automatically bypasses itself, ignoring the automation that is telling it to be unbypassed. It then remains that way, ignoring the automation until I start playback before the first automation point again.

It does the same thing if I go to automate anything else, such as volume. As soon as I start automating something else, the plugin bypass automation is ignored. I have confirmed that this happens with both DP plugs and third party plugs.

This almost seems like some sort of"event chasing" issue, except not for MIDI, but for automation. DP has never behaved this way for me. The mixer has always followed and obeyed automation, as you'd expect.

Is there some simple setting I'm missing? Is this a bug? Has anyone else run into this? It is making it very hard to mix, since I can't hear exactly what I have already automated, to then automate something else on top of it, based upon what I already did.
rainmaker

Re: Problems with automation in 10.11

Post by rainmaker »

So I have a bit more information on this now. It definitely is a chasing issue. DP is not chasing automation events properly. If I automate a slow sweep of a pan or volume, a lot of points are created very close together, and DP will follow since there are points telling it where to be often. But with automation such as a bypass, where there is only one point entered, and then a long straight line with no points, it doesn't chase if you stop and start playback in the middle of the straight line. Playback must cross over an event point to trigger anything.

Not sure if there is setting anywhere for automation event chasing? The manual just says that DP always chases automation in audio tracks, master track, etc.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Timeline »

Could it be lag time in CPU's or CPU assignment?
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Might want to post a Techlink with MOTU. I can't say I'v experienced this, but cannot with certainly say I haven't, either. If I get a chance, I'll talk a look.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

What did MOTU have to say about this?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
rainmaker

Post by rainmaker »

I contacted MOTU tech support and they were unable to replicate the issue. The tech suggested trashing preferences to see if maybe they were corrupted. I did that, but nothing changed. My only remaining course of action, at least for a quick resolution, was to roll back to an earlier version, which I have done. I’m back in 10.01 and everything is working fine again. I’ll wait for the next update, and hopefully the issue will take care of itself. It’s too bad, because I really like the changes in 10.11.
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

I am having the same chasing issue and it is driving me crazy. It looks like a bug. Trying to automate verb on an Aux channel - both bypass and send level.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

More info. Let's say I throw a bypass on Bus 1, first send. It works fine. Now, let me set up a Bus 2 effect on the same track using the second send and now try a bypass. Nope. It won't chase it. Because there is already automation above it. It's a bug when using automation on multiple sends on the same track. Try it out.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

To me, mute functionality and automation IS the heart of a good DAW and these kinds of chase errors are very very serious. If its related to CPU speeds, we should be told and minimum Computer compatibility should be mentioned for upgrades. It's the only fair way of support.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

Called MOTU and they confirmed the bug. They were able to replicate. Passed on to Dev team.
labman

Post by labman »

hammerman wrote:Called MOTU and they confirmed the bug. They were able to replicate. Passed on to Dev team.
Wonderful!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
NeilBlack

Post by NeilBlack »

I'm having exactly the same problem. Mute automation on aux sends not following correctly. Some sends work and others don't on the same channel.

Any updates since 3rd March?
DP10.1 MacPro 5.1 Hex OSX 10.14.6 24GB Ram. UA Apollo. ProAc Studio 100's. Neumann KH120's Neumann 84's / AKG / Crowley & Tripp / NTK Jolly mod. Focusrite, TLA, GAP mic pre's. Maschine 2
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I too have noticed bypass issues, especially with Waves F6.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
rjaret

Post by rjaret »

I'm having a similar problem. In my case it's related to volume automation on a VCA MIDI track.
alberts

Post by alberts »

I am having this issue and it's really making it difficult to do work! 5 months ...Please Motu sort this out as soon as you can.