MOTU MIDI Express XT and Cubase sends to all outs after...?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
devonb
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MOTU MIDI Express XT and Cubase sends to all outs after...?

Post by devonb »

This is a problem that I've had for years and have never figured out a solution. This has happened to me both under Windows 7 and Windows 10, fresh installs.

I have a few MIDI Express XT's and an MTP AV, all on USB. If I start up Cubase 6/7/8/9/10 (like I said, been happening for years) and pick my master keyboard on the MIDI In, and choose any port on any MIDI interface, MIDI is directed to that port, no problem. Everything works great! Once I shut down Cubase once, and restart it, now whatever MIDI Interface for whatever port I'm directing MIDI data to will now send MIDI Out Data to ALL ports on that interface, unlike before that it would go to a single out port. If I just reboot my computer and restart Cubase, it goes back to behaving like the first time with MIDI Out Data only going to the selected MIDI Port.

For Example - My Yamaha is on the MTP port 7. If I select Cubase to use Port 7 Out, it'll play my Yamaha no problem (Local is turned off on my Yamaha). If I select port 6 on the MTP AV instead, it'll only play my Korg Minilogue. If I change over to my MicroKorg on my Express XT on port 8, again, it goes just to that port just fine. Everything is great at this point. If I shut down Cubase and restart it, if I select JUST the Korg Minilogue on port 6, it'll play BOTH my Yamaha and my Korg at the same time. If I select like my MicroKorg on port 8 on my MIDI Express XT, it'll send MIDI Out data to all ports on that MIDI Express XT. So anything else that's turned on at the time on that interface will ALSO play and get MIDI data. Reboot computer, the behavior returns to what I've selected in Cubase to route data to which port works just fine.

Something with routing stops working to specific ports until I reboot my PC. I do NOT reboot my MIDI interfaces, JUST the PC, and the problem clears up every single time. This is more annoying than a huge problem, but I'm wondering if anyone has ran into this and has solved the problem?

Devon
devonb

Re: MOTU MIDI Express XT and Cubase sends to all outs after.

Post by devonb »

Figured out the fix if anyone else runs into this (or to my future self if i forget the fix 10 years from now) -

As long as I have Clockworks up and running, the problem does not occur. If the problem occurs, if I launch Clockworks, the problem goes away after I launch Clockworks.

Devon
NotASpeckOfCereal
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU MIDI Express XT and Cubase sends to all outs after...?

Post by NotASpeckOfCereal »

Hi there Devon,

Thanks for this. Running the clockwork app does indeed stop this from happening.

However (this comment is for the MOTU team), this is not a fix -- it's a work-around for a long standing issue with MOTU MIDI interfaces.

I really do not expect a fix, but merely want my voice to count if at all possible to weigh on any future advancements.

in this day and age, we should not have to rely on arcane voodoo to get this device to work properly. Perhaps it's time to hire developers that actually know how to properly port your driver code to the Windows architecture.

Chris
NotASpeckOfCereal
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by NotASpeckOfCereal »

I would like to add two additional points to this thread:

1) The running of the clockworks app (to keep the issue from happening) does not always work. In those moments, shutting down and rebooting of everything is a real creativity killer.

2) MOTU now has a reasonable competitor—see the following link (if the link gets removed, search for "iConnectivity mioXL 8x12 USB-MIDI, DIN-MIDI, RTP Network-MIDI Interface" available everywhere). If MOTU can't come up with a fix for this issue, it might be time to jump ship.

If you're reading this and you haven't yet purchased your device, stay away from MOTU.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface

Speck
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:(if the link gets removed, search for "iConnectivity mioXL 8x12 USB-MIDI, DIN-MIDI, RTP Network-MIDI Interface" available everywhere)
This board is not run by nor affiliated with MOTU. Why would the link get removed?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
devonb

Post by devonb »

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:50 pm I would like to add two additional points to this thread:

1) The running of the clockworks app (to keep the issue from happening) does not always work. In those moments, shutting down and rebooting of everything is a real creativity killer.

2) MOTU now has a reasonable competitor—see the following link (if the link gets removed, search for "iConnectivity mioXL 8x12 USB-MIDI, DIN-MIDI, RTP Network-MIDI Interface" available everywhere). If MOTU can't come up with a fix for this issue, it might be time to jump ship.

If you're reading this and you haven't yet purchased your device, stay away from MOTU.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface

Speck
I sold all of my MOTU MIDI interfaces and bought iConnectivity instead. Works like a champ! That being said, I don't like how it sorts the MIDI ports in Cubase 10/11/12, but at least it works and I don't have the stupid issue with it broadcasting to all ports anymore.

Devon