What are the popular MIDI keyboard controllers w/DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Kellog
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What are the popular MIDI keyboard controllers w/DP?

Post by Kellog »

Hi all, I'm just wondering which MIDI keys controller seems to integrate best with DP for you all. I was looking at the NI Komplete Kontrol A or S49, or the Akai MPK 249- but they don't seem to integrate that well and easily with our beloved DP from what I've read.
I would like to be able to audition patches easily and use transport controls for DP when recording, all from the keyboard controller to keep my hands/eyes in one place (not a new concept I know)- but alas no MMC contact between the controllers and DP seems to be a deal breaker? Have I read that right in the posts I've scanned?
Anyway, what are you all using. Any thoughts appreciated? Kelly
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
Prime Mover

Re: What are the popular MIDI keyboard controllers w/DP?

Post by Prime Mover »

I use the Arturia Keylab88, which I love, however I similarly have not gotten it fully integrated into DP, not the transport or faders for automation. As a MIDI controller, it's fantastic tho! It's all possible, but it's difficult to setup and there's no-one out there to guide you.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Kellog wrote:Hi all, I'm just wondering which MIDI keys controller seems to integrate best with DP for you all. I was looking at the NI Komplete Kontrol A or S49, or the Akai MPK 249- but they don't seem to integrate that well and easily with our beloved DP from what I've read.
I would like to be able to audition patches easily and use transport controls for DP when recording, all from the keyboard controller to keep my hands/eyes in one place (not a new concept I know)- but alas no MMC contact between the controllers and DP seems to be a deal breaker? Have I read that right in the posts I've scanned?
Anyway, what are you all using. Any thoughts appreciated? Kelly
Novation SL series is your best bet. Akai and NI both use MMC which is not supported bi directionally between controller keyboards and DP10, so the transport controls on them do not work. Most controller keyboards these days are using MMC, so Novation are the only ones I know of that also support HUI and Mackie for transport on their controller keyboards.

Novation has HUI protocol support, so you get mixer faders and transport of DP. You can still use Akai and NI's plug ins for their dedicated controller keyboards (VIP and Komplete Control), they both 'sort of' support third party keyboards, in my experience it's spotty but workable if all you really need is 8 knobs mapped to the most common elements.

Novation make good keyboards, unfortunately they do not make an 88 key version though, and also unfortunately they're not that cheap on the used market. I can't speak for the other series besides the SL, though the manuals for their keyboards have been typically available online so you can look up whether their other series's can use HUI / Mackie.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The Novation SL Mkii looks promising. One if it's nicest features for a controller is that it has a high scan rate for the velocity sensing engine. So it will be able to clock velocities more accurately. It also has lots of connectivity and controls on it.

As mentioned, no weighted/hammer 88s, and even these 49 & 61 key's while the key-width is standard piano sized, the length of the keys front to back is shorter. Not a deal breaker, but kind of unfortunate. I don't know how this would affect the difference between black & white key velocities which is already a problem with many keybeds.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Check out the Nektar LX series, it works well with DP.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

As usual wonderful replies from you guys Thanks prime mover, stubbsonic, michael canavan and jjlaudon.
I will investigate these ideas. I did discover the Nektar. It may be promising. The Novation looks killer but appears to have maybe TOO MUCH functionality for me (like the sequencer). I’m mostly a guitarist and not a synth whiz (never too late tho I guess!) So we’ll see.
Again much appreciated insights!
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
Michael Canavan

jlaudon wrote:Check out the Nektar LX series, it works well with DP.
Man I hadn't in so long that all they supported was Logic, Live and Cubase. They support everyone including DP now. 8)

My only sort of complaint is the 88key is semi weighted, so not piano style. Definitely be picking one up if I get another 61 or 49 key though.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Been using the Arturia Keylab 88 Mk II for a month or so. I like it a lot. It seems to have addressed the problems folks had with the Mk I. It supplies HUI and MCU control, and, while I reported earlier that it works perfectly with DP, I have to amend my review. I'd say it works about 75% with the DP10 version of MCU. There are a couple of anomalies I've found in the transport controls, and I think it may have something to do with the differences between DP 9 & 10. Some have reported that scroll Controller #60 doesn't work with DP10. This has been my experience.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Whatever, with the current personnel upheaval at Native Instruments, I'd keep away from their hardware.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The Nectar has no DIN MIDI I/O.

Bummer. Would have to use dedicated ports on MIDI Express XT for my foot controllers. That's just silly IMHO.

I'll have to stick with the ol' late-'80s A-50 for a few more years I reckon. :(

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Kellog wrote:The Novation looks killer but appears to have maybe TOO MUCH functionality for me (like the sequencer). I’m mostly a guitarist and not a synth whiz (never too late tho I guess!)
Yes, it is feature packed. I have no current use for CV or the sequencer. However, it might be better to make sure your bases are covered (even if there are other features you might not use). Also, for the price, it's an impressive device and I'd imagine there'd be reasonable resale value if you went in a different direction later.

The fact that you're not a synth whiz means you won't mind the slightly shorter keys.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Michael Canavan

cuttime wrote:Been using the Arturia Keylab 88 Mk II for a month or so. I like it a lot. It seems to have addressed the problems folks had with the Mk I. It supplies HUI and MCU control, and, while I reported earlier that it works perfectly with DP, I have to amend my review. I'd say it works about 75% with the DP10 version of MCU. There are a couple of anomalies I've found in the transport controls, and I think it may have something to do with the differences between DP 9 & 10. Some have reported that scroll Controller #60 doesn't work with DP10. This has been my experience.
Cool they started HUI and MCU control, I'm assuming that's how you're getting transport control?

And yeah NI are in a weird state. I still think about getting a Komplete Kontrol keyboard though, the 88 key would work really well with Kontakt libraries that have keyswitches, that not a soul has thought to have in the same range, not even in the same library... One advantage of the Nektar that makes me think about it is that you can very very quickly assign notes to the pads, so you could assign the key-switches to the pads. Of course it looks like they also left out memory slots, like 5 or something??

I should probably learn to use my MPK88, and Program in the keyswitches to the pads for patches there, since it's covered in MIDI Quest so I can have multiple patches for various libraries.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Michael Canavan wrote:
Cool they started HUI and MCU control, I'm assuming that's how you're getting transport control?
Yep. The Arturia manuals are freely available online if anyone is interested.
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

The Nektar LX88+ does have a MIDI out (DIN), as well as USB.... and the have a template for DP which works very well for me.... only thing it's not hammer action keys, which would be perfect for me then...
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Still following and appreciating everyone’s input!
Def looking at the Arturia and the Nektar at this point (the 49 key versions). Partly cuzza the lower price range, and size (mostly depth) is an issue with my setup. I may need to explore an under desk attached shelf of some kind. Either for the new controller or the Mac keyboard. But not ruling anything out yet.
Also I wasn’t aware there was poss trouble at NI maybe causing sup par quality if I understood that. Sorry to hear that.
Thanks again everyone!