What is making my DP 9.52 so (swearword) slow ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gone To Lunch
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What is making my DP 9.52 so (swearword) slow ?

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Even simple things like selecting/deselecting a MIDI track in the tracks window takes up to 30 beachball seconds, while the message 'Transcribing MIDI' with a status bar flashes up half a dozen times or so ?
http://gonetolunchmusic.com/
Current sex toys : DP 9.52, Mac Pro 5,1, 3.46GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM, OS X 10.13.6, Motu 828 Mk3 Firewire. Sounds by VSL, Mach Five 3, Addictive Drums 2, Native Instruments, Orange Tree, Bolder Sounds. Plug-ins by PSP, 2CAudio, Waves & Lexicon. Scores by Sibelius Ultimate 2019.5.
magicd

Re: What is making my DP 9.52 so (swearword) slow ?

Post by magicd »

Transcribing? Do you have the Quickscribe or Notation editor windows open?

Dave
Gone To Lunch

Post by Gone To Lunch »

magicd wrote:Transcribing? Do you have the Quickscribe or Notation editor windows open?

Dave
Yes, I have quickscribe open as I like to edit MIDI notes in a stave view.
http://gonetolunchmusic.com/
Current sex toys : DP 9.52, Mac Pro 5,1, 3.46GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM, OS X 10.13.6, Motu 828 Mk3 Firewire. Sounds by VSL, Mach Five 3, Addictive Drums 2, Native Instruments, Orange Tree, Bolder Sounds. Plug-ins by PSP, 2CAudio, Waves & Lexicon. Scores by Sibelius Ultimate 2019.5.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Gone To Lunch wrote:
magicd wrote:Transcribing? Do you have the Quickscribe or Notation editor windows open?

Dave
Yes, I have quickscribe open as I like to edit MIDI notes in a stave view.
How many tracks are displayed in the Quickscribe window? If you use the Track Selector to hide all but the specific track you are working on, does that help?

Dave
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Do you have more than one chunk in the project?

The more chunks you have, the more DP slows down.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maybe the Notation editor would work instead of using Quickscribe.

The only time I've had abnormally slow response with DP is with some VIs that by default, preload a very small amount of their samples. The response was due to constant disk access, and solved by maximizing the RAM available to preload samples.

You can see which resource is overtaxed, and by what, by keeping Activity Monitor open while it happens.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
magicd

Post by magicd »

bayswater wrote:Maybe the Notation editor would work instead of using Quickscribe.

The only time I've had abnormally slow response with DP is with some VIs that by default, preload a very small amount of their samples. The response was due to constant disk access, and solved by maximizing the RAM available to preload samples.

You can see which resource is overtaxed, and by what, by keeping Activity Monitor open while it happens.
The notation editor only displays one track at a time, and it doesn't do page formatting, so yes most likely that would make a difference.

Think about it. You have ten different instruments in staves on the QS page. If you edit anything DP has to recalculate and redraw every visible track all the way through the sequence. That's why if you only display a single track in QS (or if you use the Notation editor) you should expect quicker redraw.

Hopefully all this helps and the OP will get back to us with happiness!

Dave
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Having certain plugin GUIs open can make DP ridiculously slow. The plug runs fine but having the window open is the problem. If this is your issue, it's easy to test by closing all the GUIs and seeing what happens.

Izotope RX used to be one of those for me. Even now, I'll open the GUI, and make any needed changes or have it 'learn' the noise I'm trying to quash etc. Then I close the window and move on.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

JSmith1234567 wrote:Do you have more than one chunk in the project?

Sorry, Smith124567, but i cannot agree with that. I routinely have dozens of chunks with audio, MIDI, and using multiple video files and don't see a slowdown as a result.

It is possible that if you are seeing a slowdown, you might be using the app in an inefficient way. For one, V-Racks will speed up moving from chunk to chunk. Also distributing the load of CPU heavy VIs can be critical in using DP efficiently.

Looking at the o/p's specs, he seems to be on a fairly old cheese grater and using Firewire (which I also use via a FW to TB adapter).

Still, it seems like a fairly reasonable machine with a decent processor and plenty of RAM, so I'd look to hard drives as a possible culprit. Are they all internal? External running on the FW? What is/are his drive(s) for VIs, projects, system? When was the last time he cleared the cache? How full are the drives?

Not that these are his problems, but the assumption that "too many chunks" causes a slowdown is truly preposterous - unless there is some other aspect at work, such as slow drive access or some other unforeseen system issue.

I'd like to see the o/p take one of his problem projects to a clean machine and run it to see if DP is truly the culprit. But as for the "too many chunks claim" it is simply not based in fact, per se.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

magicd wrote:The notation editor only displays one track at a time, and it doesn't do page formatting, so yes most likely that would make a difference.
Exactly. Isn't it a matter of using the tools for their intended purpose? I would have thought QuickScribe was not intended primarily as a MIDI editor, but rather to create a score once the editing is done.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

As mentioned in the Facebook MOTU group, take a look to be certain you do not have a stray MIDI event at bar 4000 or something like that, as such a thing will slow QuickScribe down to a crawl all by itself.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
magicd wrote:The notation editor only displays one track at a time, and it doesn't do page formatting, so yes most likely that would make a difference.
Exactly. Isn't it a matter of using the tools for their intended purpose? I would have thought QuickScribe was not intended primarily as a MIDI editor, but rather to create a score once the editing is done.
I sort of agree, but it is also extremely important to be able to see your orchestration and all tracks easily and smoothly as you write and edit. You need to see how the orchestration develops and see the "weight" of the individual lines. You can't really do that unless you can easily see all your tracks at a glance, without DP getting stupid (as if you were using manuscript paper).

I also agree about not showing unnecessary tracks or leave unused editing windows opened. That slows DP a lot.
Sometimes, by mistake, I control click (or is it option-click?) on the track selector, and when I have ALL tracks from my template showing, even if they're empty, this slows DP down to a crawl and becomes unresponsive. Same when this happens in the SE.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote:Do you have more than one chunk in the project?

Sorry, Smith124567, but i cannot agree with that. I routinely have dozens of chunks with audio, MIDI, and using multiple video files and don't see a slowdown as a result.
I agree with your disagreement.

I have dozens of chunks filled with hundreds of tracks, and that's never been a problem at all.
As long as you don't have too many chunks active (i.e., V-Racks) at the same time, DP should remain agile. Normal chunks don't seem to use any resources, since they remain dormant until activated.

What can slow to a crawl are the i/o bundles lists. If you have LOTS of bundles and navigate them through normally, it can take up to a minute to go from top to bottom. Unless, of course, you use the scroll wheel in your mouse for this, and then it becomes instantaneous.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

The DP10 gui is very slow response for me also.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
magicd

Post by magicd »

bayswater wrote:
Yeah but if you put something there that looks like it works, people are going to use it.

I agree that having many chunks in a project is not a problem in general. Switching between chunks can take time depending instruments loading, I/O connections being made, and so on.

I've noticed zero difference in screen redraw between DP9 and DP10. However I'm not using all the new features in 10, such as the scalable windows. I would expect that if you opened a DP9 file in DP 10 without changing anything, the file should work the same way in the new version.

I've used DP since it was installed from wooden floppy disks, so I know the program pretty well. I usually don't have problems, but if I do, my first instinct is to ask what I'm doing wrong. Yesterday I bounced five masters for my band. Four of the bounce files were blank. That's because the Play button was off on those tracks. D'oh.

Reduce the number of displayed tracks in QS and editing should be a lot easier.

Dave
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I've been away from DP for a while, so please forgive me if I am overlooking something simple in configuration. I pulled it out to do some comparison tests together with Vienna Ensemble Pro 7.

First off, the entire GUI is extremely laggy to use. click the mouse, wait 1-2 seconds for a response...on nearly every action, except the main menubar seems responsive. The Play button seems responsive. But everything else is extremely laggy. It makes me wonder if there is some kind of MIDI loop or something causing it overprocess something in the background, I don't know, but this can't be right. I have to say, if this is normal, then DP is not usable. So let's hope its not normal. But how can I fix it?

Add to that, as I started to build up a 100 track orchestral template (without Vepro), it got laggier and laggier and the Realtime CPU meter started getting larger and larger. Just while sitting there idle DP is consuming 10-20% cpu. Huh? Something must not be setup right, but I'm not sure what.

Any hints?

The configuration is around 100 instrument tracks with ViPro instruments, also each channel has MirPro instance, and one reverb on the main stereo out (maybe that's the issue?), When I look at the plugin performance meter while it's just sitting here idle, every plugin in there is registered as RT and is using some Cpu cycles to sit there doing nothing.

I don't know if that is partially responsible for the GUI lag, but when I try to create a brand new empty project, the GUI is still laggy...not as laggy as 100 tracks, but still laggy and slow to respond, I really hope there is some way to correct that, its hard to believe MOTU would release it like that.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32