Melodyne Editor versus DP with ZTX

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

Another question on plugins:

After moving to a new Mac I couldn't get Melodyne Editor to work. Celemony support tells me it won't work on Mojave and I need a paid update. But maybe I don't need it at all.

Any opinions on the relative effectiveness of Melodyne versus the current capabilities of DP? I do the occasional vocal fine tuning and tweaking, rarely multitrack. Is there something DP with ZTE can't do that Melodyne does particularly well? Can't do the comparison myself now I don't have Melodyne. (For general pitch or tempo changes, I'm happy with IRCAM. It did a better job than Melodyne Editor for this work anyway.)

I'm assuming regardless of how good ZTE in DP is now, it will be better in DP 10.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Re: Melodyne Editor versus DP with ZTX

Post by mhschmieder »

That's not true; I've used it several times on Mojave in the past few weeks.

Well, maybe not; I get confused over all the Melodyne variants, and as I have a top-tier license, it means I sometimes have lower-tier or even abandoned flavours of the product on my system that I'm afraid to delete because at one point one of them (Melodyne Bridge?) was used behind-the-scenes by the main plug-in.

But I think there was a standalone version at one point, and maybe it was discontinued.

IJ'm about to cook an elaborate dinner so don't want to go down a rabbit hole right now, but if you don't mind checking the product tiering on your own, let me know if Editor is the top-of-the-line. If so, then I can vouch for it working quite well on Mojave, with no issues. Otherwise, I can see if I have a copy of it on my system and launch it in place of whichever version is the one I use.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As for Melodyne vs. ZTX, I haven't tried them on the same tasks yet, so don't know. There's also IRCAM's time-stretch tool, which does other things besides. I have all three (and not just in the versions that ship with various DAW's, but on their own as direct licenses). I figure they each have different strengths.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mhschmieder wrote:Well, maybe not; I get confused over all the Melodyne variants, and as I have a top-tier license, it means I sometimes have lower-tier or even abandoned flavours of the product on my system that I'm afraid to delete because at one point one of them
I have Melodyne Editor 2. There is an upgrade to V4. Celemony says V2 stopped working or at least is not supported after Sierra. In my case, I can load V2 and import sound into it, but the preferences are not accessible, so I can't change the output ports it uses and monitor it's playback. It also spontaneously launches the authorization window to tell me I have an iLok licence for it.

The annoying things is that Melodyne is the only thing that did not port from from my 2009 iMac to the 2018 Mini.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Personally, for monophonic vocal pitch correction, I have always found DP's turning works great. The new algorithms are cleaner for dramatic changes and time stretch and, particularly, for polyphonic material, but the old algorithm continues to function well for me for fixin' vocals.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I've been, generally, very pleased with the recent pitch and time manipulation that DP has employed.

However, I'm working on a big band project with live brass and reeds. Separate tracks...Trumpet 1, Trumpet 2...everyone recorded individually. No bleed.

The client wants the final in E but I recorded the guys in F as it's a better key.

I did a test first before deciding to do this and it seemed fine.

But, when it came time for the premix, tweaking, etc. DP's transposition down left the tracks a bit "lifeless"...like a formant change or a huge cut around 3K. (Guessing, here.)

I popped all 13 tracks into Melodyne 4.2.1 and everything was just fine.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

buzzsmith wrote:
I popped all 13 tracks into Melodyne 4.2.1 and everything was just fine.

Buzzy

I had a similar problem with a harmonica part that had been recorded separately a whole tone higher than the other tracks, and there was bleed from other tracks. DP 9 didn't work that well, Melodyne 2 was OK, but IRCAM did the job better.

Looks like Melodyne 4 is an improvement over V2 for this work, but I think I'll hold off upgrading for now, at least until we see what DP 10 does. If it becomes necessary to go to Melodyne 4, it only takes few minutes to install.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

buzzsmith wrote: DP's transposition down left the tracks a bit "lifeless"...like a formant change or a huge cut around 3K. (Guessing, here.)
Which DP algorithm did you use?
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's been a few months since I did something similar in a pinch, so I don't remember how I used the built-in tool for that purpose, but I did notice that transposing down can be less successful than transposing up. I can think of many reasons why that would be the case. But I don't notice this with Melodyne.

Overall though, DP's built-in tools are so good now that I sometimes forget to re-do it with Melodyne or Zynaptiq later on. I used to do a test run, an UNDO, and then a real pass using Melodyne. There are fewer contexts where I still find that necessary.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

HCMarkus wrote:
buzzsmith wrote: DP's transposition down left the tracks a bit "lifeless"...like a formant change or a huge cut around 3K. (Guessing, here.)
Which DP algorithm did you use?
HC, I'll have to open the project to double check. I'm guessing (again) the default one which has worked great 95% of the time. And instantaneous! ImageImage

Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)