Busses mysteriously stopped working

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
TimCox
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Busses mysteriously stopped working

Post by TimCox »

So I have a film project that was all done save for some live recording. I bus my instruments to their reverb auxes and then bus those to my stems. I've already used these and recorded the mockups as well as sent them for approval. Now that I've done my live recordings (via a different project bounced to WAV) I open my score to import and mix and none of the stem busses are receiving anything. I've checked and double checked the sends from my aux tracks and they're all pointing to the appropriate place. I've checked my meters and the auxes are for sure getting info but my stems are a non-starter.

Has anyone run into this before? It baffles me as they worked without issue previously.

Thanks for the help,

-Tim
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Busses mysteriously stopped working

Post by stubbsonic »

YES! This exact thing happened to me! My theory is that it was the result of some damage to the project file itself.

For me, THANKFULLY, I was able to start a new project, and import all the chunks (using the File/Load... function) along with all the associated audio and everything worked again.

Good luck!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

Sounding like this might be my best bet. Do you have more info on the function you used?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yes. Start a new empty project. Then go up the the File Menu and choose the Load... option from that menu. This will allow you to bring in chunks (sequences, v-racks, songs) from your defective project into the new one.

There are a bunch of check-boxes to determine what other things get loaded and whether to include soundbites. I think you could save your new DP file with a different name in the same project folder as your previous DP file-- and then it would find the audio files in the same folder as the DP file.

I'm pretty sure all the mixer info is saved with the chunk. Worst case, you can still open your previous DP file.

I can't say whether yours is the same exact issue I had, but I was just thankful that whatever glitch it was didn't persist through the above process.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

TimCox

Post by TimCox »

Great. I'll give that a shot tomorrow morning and let you know how it works out
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I didn't mention that when you open the "Load..." window, there's a list of chunks and you have to highlight the ones you want to import. Perhaps obvious to some, but I just thought I should mention it.

TimCox

Post by TimCox »

No go. Good suggestion though! I'm glad it worked on your end.

Time to dive back into troubleshooting :banghead:
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

Update for anyone with a similar issue, if the above doesn't work manually resetting the preferences did it for me.

Find the DP preferences folder (C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Local\MOTU\Digital Performer) and move it to desktop. All of your settings and plugins will have to be set back up unfortunately but my busses are working correctly now so it's for sure another fix for the problem.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it working!

mesayre

Post by mesayre »

A couple of suggestions if you get this again:

- Check for duplicate bundles.
- Check to make sure you have allocated enough busses in studio setup. If you exceed what's allocated weird stuff starts to happen.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB