SMPTE LTC to control Audio Playback?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
24fps
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

SMPTE LTC to control Audio Playback?

Post by 24fps »

I'm trying to interface a film projector with my computer to synch a film print with multiple channels of digitial sound.

I would like to print SMPTE LTC on the optical track of the film print and use this as the master synch, so whatever fluctuations i have in the speed of the projector it controls the playback of the soundfiles.

I have a motu 828mk2, and i can get the timecode inputed and i can see with my Firewire SMPTE Console that i'm receiving the LTC.

My problem is that i can't figureout how this LTC can control the audio track playback so its in synch.

For simplicity sake i've been try to get this done with AudioDesk.

I have my audio software set to
1. "Slave to external synch"
2. "Audio System Clock set to SMPTE
3. "Receive Synch" set to "Sample Accurate

My Firewire SMPTE Consol is also set to
Clock/Adress::SMPTE/SMPTE

Basically, i've done everything that they cover in the manuals (which is not much).

My hope was that with this setup (with all the appropriate programs open and the above attributes selected), that as soon as LTC started being received it would play the audio in synch,

AND here SYNCH means for me audio playback at the same Clock Rate and Address Rate as the received SMPTE LTC.

BUT no such thing happens. Perhaps my audio tracks are synched to the clock of smpte but the address is not.

Have i completely misunderstood Synching? Am i asking to much of SMPTE LTC? Can this type of synch only occur with MTC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?
If i need to be using another program like Cubase, DP, or other to do this instead of the simple Audio Desk let me know as well.

Thanks in advance,
Charles
Helen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SMPTE LTC to control Audio Playback?

Post by Helen »

Okay, are you using an actual film projector for this? I've never heard of that, most folks work with a VCR at the very least.

Okay, first a silly question, and I apologize if this insults you, but did you press 'Play' prior to starting the film? Basically pressing play when you have 'Slave to External Sync' turned on puts DP into a wait mode where it's looking for the sync. If you don't press play, DP won't look for the time code 'cause it thinks you don't want it to play.

I know with a VCR you have to have both the video and the audio time code coming into your sync box. (I use an MTP-AV for this - nothing beats buying the hardware that was made specifically to work with your software.) Do you have this going on, or do you only have the audio LTC coming in?

If 'sample accurate' doesn't work, try the other film options under 'Recieve sync': MTC, DTL or DTLe, or Indirect Time Lock. (I've always left it on the MTC, DTL and DTLe setting when syncing to video.)

Hope one or the other of that helps.
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
24fps
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: SMPTE LTC to control Audio Playback?

Post by 24fps »

thanks for the reply.
i swear to god that i had pressed play and it just started playing by itself without waiting for the LTC. however, the next day when i booted up, i did exactly that and everything works just dandy.

thanks,
charles

PS. by the way does anyone know of a software that converts LTC to MTC? I've seen a bunch hardware devices from Motu to Rosendahl that do this, but i know once LTC is converted to numbers its all just math. Again, am i missing something (such as generating wordclock?), or is there such a software? Clockworks? thanks again.