DP 9.1 is here

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 9.1 is here

Post by labman »

Killahurts wrote:The only thing I've noticed that is different is that, when playing virtual Instruments from the controller, the latency is very, very much improved, without changing any settings.. that by itself is worth the upgrade.
Is that with plugs/VI's in realtime Killa?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
djwizprod
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.1 is here

Post by djwizprod »

How does the same project run in 9.02?
That I don't know. because i have been running 9.01, When I updated to 9.02, i had a bunch off issues, weird graphic problems, as well as processor overload, glitches in bounces etc. So, I literally had to start over and re-install 9.01. In 9.01 this very same session ran well, however it was pushing the boundries of the system, at a 512 buffer, at 1024, it was ok.
MacPro8core28GB~OS108.5~DP9.1
PT10~MACH5~Symphonic~Reason~Symphobia~NIKOMPLETE~StormDrum2+3~EWSilver
MiniCore2duo2GB~VirtualVTR~TASCAMDM4800surround~2408MkIII~WAVESBroadcast/Surround360/NPP/VoxRider/GEQ/L316~UAD2DuoPCIe+Satellite~1176/LA2A/PulteqPro/Fairchild/SSLBuss/Lexicon224/Dreamverb
IzotopeRX5/Ozone7/StutterEdit
UA6176~U87~TLM103~AKG414~MKH416~MKH50~DPA4011Apair/COS11D~QuickTime7Pro/FinalCutProX/MackieHR824/624/HRS120~TelosZephyrXstreamISDN~SourceConnectPro
http://www.ozonesound.com
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Working fine here.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

After a restart they are working as expected. I have been having USB and TB connectivity issues of late so it may well be something in my system. I must face! :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

The Harware Plug-in is simple but I don't understand its operation; inserted in a chain of effects (at middle), it does not pass the signal to the following effects. Sometimes, he loses the connection to the external effect.
The value of the latency is always 0; it's surprising .

I work with a RME Fireface 800 _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

NextGen PreGen works really well. I'm curious as to where MOTU stores the rendered audio though?
I'm getting high Playback meter readings now and near zero Processing readings with the Audio performance meters.

First thing I did was test it with record enabled on all the tracks and wonder why there was no improvement! :lol:

Track Assignments can now assign MIDI inputs again.

MIDI out from virtual instruments is still adding multiple duplicates though.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
danatkorg

Post by danatkorg »

David Polich wrote: I've never run plug-in inserts post-fader. Can you explain why you would want to do this?
One reason: a peak limiter (e.g. Waves L2 or L3) on the master output, with a fade-out. If the limiter is pre-fader, it will continue to process in exactly the same way throughout the fade; peaks will be shaved off even when the volume is near zero. Assuming that the limiter is being used solely to avoid going over 0 dBfs (rather than to create a timbral effect), it's better to place the limiter post-fader; that way, once the limiter is no longer needed to avoid overs, it stops having an effect.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

fdco wrote:
oshtakuta wrote:After I insert a plugin in the post fader insert slot, there appears a distinct sound degradation. Please advise.
Yes, same here.

Crackles when a plug is inserted post fader.
Same plug works fine pre fader.
Generally, when I hear crackles, my first stop is the buffer. Try giving it a little more buffer. If that doesn't work, it's pure guesswork from there, on.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Babz

Post by Babz »

dix wrote:So how does that work? You don't have to reduce the buffer size to reduce the latency? The What's New doc is confusing about the new reduced latency. It says
..if you choose a buffer setting of 128 samples, version 9.1 yields 256 samples of total host latency (one buffer on input and one on output), plus any hardware latency. This will improve audio I/O latency and virtual instrument performance.
That sounds like more latency, no?
Yes, this sentence makes no sense to me. Improved latency would be if you are set to 256 in DP 9.1, you now get the kind of performance that used to require a setting of 128 in earlier DP. But this sentence seems to state the opposite!

Huh???
waxman

Post by waxman »

Babz wrote:
dix wrote:So how does that work? You don't have to reduce the buffer size to reduce the latency? The What's New doc is confusing about the new reduced latency. It says
..if you choose a buffer setting of 128 samples, version 9.1 yields 256 samples of total host latency (one buffer on input and one on output), plus any hardware latency. This will improve audio I/O latency and virtual instrument performance.
That sounds like more latency, no?
Yes, this sentence makes no sense to me. Improved latency would be if you are set to 256 in DP 9.1, you now get the kind of performance that used to require a setting of 128 in earlier DP. But this sentence seems to state the opposite!

Huh???
Thats how it works... 512 feels like 256.... feels like 128.... 128 is imperceptible.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

If a loop is set and I turn it on or off while in the loop region I get a spike. About half the time I get an overload CPU audio error. Try it. Set a song loop of 4 bars. Turn the loop off and on while in the loop region. See if you get it.

Dave confirmed it... though it's not something he would normally do. Does that make him normal or abnormal?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
dix

Post by dix »

Huh???
As explained to me earlier in this thread. Buffer size always refers to the round-trip (who knew?) so we've always been getting 128 samples of latency when our buffers are set to 256. Latency is a lot less now, that's for sure. But what it is exactly is not stated anywhere that I can find. ...but, yeah. that sentence in the What's New is baffling .
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

I'm loving making music now... dissect it later... ahahah

Drummer is over here banging on the TD30 into BFD3. He CAN'T hear or feel any latency at 256. And I can jerk the transport all over the place with no problem... It used to CRASH....

This is a whole new app baby. At the same time I'm getting sounds on NI Komplete Kontrol VI's while he is playing... it's sick... flipping MOTU is godlike
Last edited by waxman on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waxman
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

danatkorg wrote:
David Polich wrote: I've never run plug-in inserts post-fader. Can you explain why you would want to do this?
One reason: a peak limiter (e.g. Waves L2 or L3) on the master output, with a fade-out. If the limiter is pre-fader, it will continue to process in exactly the same way throughout the fade; peaks will be shaved off even when the volume is near zero. Assuming that the limiter is being used solely to avoid going over 0 dBfs (rather than to create a timbral effect), it's better to place the limiter post-fader; that way, once the limiter is no longer needed to avoid overs, it stops having an effect.
Ok I understand that. I don't master in DP so I have never encountered this.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
djwizprod

Post by djwizprod »

waxman wrote:I'm loving making music now... dissect it later... ahahah

Drummer is over here banging on the TD30 into BFD3. He CAN'T hear or feel any latency at 256. And I can jerk the transport all over the place with no problem... It used to CRASH....

This is a whole new app baby. At the same time I'm getting sounds on NI Komplete Kontrol VI's while he is playing... it's sick... flipping MOTU is godlike
Heck yeah!!! I'M LOVIN IT!!!
MacPro8core28GB~OS108.5~DP9.1
PT10~MACH5~Symphonic~Reason~Symphobia~NIKOMPLETE~StormDrum2+3~EWSilver
MiniCore2duo2GB~VirtualVTR~TASCAMDM4800surround~2408MkIII~WAVESBroadcast/Surround360/NPP/VoxRider/GEQ/L316~UAD2DuoPCIe+Satellite~1176/LA2A/PulteqPro/Fairchild/SSLBuss/Lexicon224/Dreamverb
IzotopeRX5/Ozone7/StutterEdit
UA6176~U87~TLM103~AKG414~MKH416~MKH50~DPA4011Apair/COS11D~QuickTime7Pro/FinalCutProX/MackieHR824/624/HRS120~TelosZephyrXstreamISDN~SourceConnectPro
http://www.ozonesound.com