Weird recoding issue when clocked to ext sync

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
sloiselle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Weird recoding issue when clocked to ext sync

Post by sloiselle »

I'm figuring I'm missing something obvious, so am hoping one of you will spot it and have mercy on me!

Am running DP7.24 on OS 10.6.8, using a MOTU Ultralite and 828 mk3. I have a TR707 driving a large analog sequencing system with DIN sync, and also sending MIDI from the 707 into the MIDI in of the Ultralite, to have DP clock of of it. So far, so good. Am feeding a bunch of tracks into the optical inputs of the 828, and recording them in DP, so far, still fine.

I record enable the audio tracks in DP, set DP to slave to incoming beat clock, put DP in Rec-ready, hit play on the 707, and everything starts, and appears to be working fine. DP is recording the 12 tracks of audio. The sequence in the TR707 is 96 measure long. Now here's the bizarre thing that makes me think I'm missing something obvious: the audio capture in DP is fine, up through bar 64, but all tracks just stop (no more recorded content) right on bar 65. This happens consistently.

So DP appears to run fine, sync'd to incoming beat clock. The audio tracks all record, and the captured audio is fine (not corrupted). The only odd thing I do see when recording, is that when the recording begins, all the tracks are drawing the waveforms in realtime, like they always do, but shortly after the start (around bar 16 or so), the live "while it is recording" redraw starts looking strange, like mostly blank, but with just occasional indications of signal. I'll attempt to upload a shot during recording, and one as soon as the recording is done. Image

And even though it appears to be recording for 96 measures, here's is the screen after stopping the recording:

Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Weird recoding issue when clocked to ext sync

Post by Shooshie »

Maybe try again with the pictures. Your URL for the pictures is incredibly long and complex. You got a simpler one?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Meanwhile, let's check the simple stuff. Do you have auto-stop or memory loop enabled? (I don't remember if those are operational when syncing through timecode or not) What about the end of the sequence? If you look in the Chunks Window, is there a chunk-end location set for that sequence? If so, is it boldfaced? And is it Bar 65?

Assuming none of those are problems, do any of the other devices have any sort of auto-stop programmed? (Sorry, not familiar with the TR707)

Do you have a lot of tracks? If so, do they all start sending data at about bar 65? (shouldn't be a problem; might have been in 1992, but not for the past 15 years or so.)

Just for reference, what computer are you using, how much RAM, CPU cores and speed, storage media (hard drives, SSDs, Flash drives), etc.? You never know where the problem might be.

I'm sure you've been over all this. I'm just trying to jog your thinking and see if there is something you've overlooked.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bralston

Post by bralston »

You don't have an auto-punch out set for bar 65 do you?
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
sloiselle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sloiselle »

Shooshie wrote:Maybe try again with the pictures. Your URL for the pictures is incredibly long and complex. You got a simpler one?

Shooshie
Shooshie, first, thank you for trying to help me! As to the pictures, I couldn't see any way to upload them directly to the forum here, so I used a Google site. I'm confused because the forum page on my computer shows the actual screenshots, not the links. This may or may not help, but I also uploaded them to my dropbox account, here are the links: #1https://www.dropbox.com/s/oe3f0k05ejiqv ... M.png?dl=0 and #2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivzxq1tk9rqmd ... M.png?dl=0

Thanks again for trying to help me! -- Scott
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Next time it happens, do a COMMAND-SHIFT-3 to take a screenshot of the whole monitor. I need to see how some other things are set.

Shooshie