Notation Editor - zoom staff height?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Notation Editor - zoom staff height?

Post by kdm »

Is there a way to zoom the staff height in the Notation Editor? It's a bit small for editing. The manual suggests regular zoom commands, but vertical zoom simply moves the part up/down an octave, and the zoom tool doesn't seem to work (horizontal zoom does work for zoom to selection).
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Notation Editor - zoom staff height?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's it. Sucks. I use that a lot.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You can zoom a fair amount in the QuickScribe Editor (if that's of any use).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
kdm

Post by kdm »

Thanks for the replies. I do use Quickscribe most of the time and it is great - no problems zooming to whatever size I need there.

The Notation editor would be very handy for editing along side of CC edits, but it is a bit limited without the ability to actually see the notation. I also like how the Notation editor handles note length editing, but it isn't possible at that small size.

It isn't the only option for editing in DP of course, but it is a great concept that is a bit too limited visually to be of much use. I don't know of another DAW that has a notation view with controller data lanes below it.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's the abandoned child at MOTU. So much potential there, even if just viewing was more customizable.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jsg

Post by jsg »

kdm wrote:Is there a way to zoom the staff height in the Notation Editor? It's a bit small for editing. The manual suggests regular zoom commands, but vertical zoom simply moves the part up/down an octave, and the zoom tool doesn't seem to work (horizontal zoom does work for zoom to selection).
DP's notation editor is great in some ways, but it has two fatal flaws which cause me to continue to use Sonar, at least for large pieces:

1. No scroll bar. It's cumbersome to move from, say, page 4 to page 122 quickly. The scroll bar is the fastest way to do this, although of course you can create markers or memorization points, so this isn't that big of a deal.

2. The staff view doesn't go horizontally across the entire screen, which wastes a lot of screen space. For large pieces with many measures and many tracks, Sonar's notation is superior because of scrolling and the ability to see far more measures and tracks at one time. DP's notation is better in that it displays all triplets correctly.

3. I find DP better for short pieces with fewer instruments as the notation editor simulates an 8.5x11 pad of notation paper. For more complex works, it's better to have more screen space dedicated to the staff editor, which simulates an arranger/orchestration pad of paper rather than an 8.5x11 pad.

JG
http://www.jerrygerber.com