What version of M5 are you guys using in OSX

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

David Helpling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What version of M5 are you guys using in OSX

Post by David Helpling »

Is anybody using the new and latest version extensively on a G5 that can give me a quick report?
David Helpling - Composer/Producer
MacPro QuadCore 3GHz, Leopard/DP6.01/6 gigs RAM/Apogee Symphony and Hardware/MachFive2/WAVES/NI/URS/Spectrasonics/Analog Outboard
www.dhmmusicdesign.com
primeevolutionary

Re: What version of M5 are you guys using in OSX

Post by primeevolutionary »

I'm using MachFive 1.2 on a Dual 2.5 GB G5. I don't have very many samples though. What info are you looking for?
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.5
DP11.31
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
David Helpling

Post by David Helpling »

I'm still using the older version on my dual 2 gig G5 and I have heard that their are issued with the new version - is it working well for you? Should I update to the latest?
David Helpling - Composer/Producer
MacPro QuadCore 3GHz, Leopard/DP6.01/6 gigs RAM/Apogee Symphony and Hardware/MachFive2/WAVES/NI/URS/Spectrasonics/Analog Outboard
www.dhmmusicdesign.com
kazuya

Post by kazuya »

Hi,
i had problems with the M5 Version 1.0 on my G4 2 x 1,25 and OS 10.2. Crashed a lot of times when i tried to import my own samples. After the Update to 1.2 everything works fine.

Excuse my bad english, i‘m just a german.
DP 9.12 // MacPro 8-Core 2,26 // OSX 10.11.6 // 32 GB RAM // UAD-2 // PSP // Sonnox // 828 MK-II // Altiverb 6 // MachFive 2 // iZotope // ...

Excuse my bad english. I´m just a german.
Flare

Post by Flare »

Some significant issues with M5 and DP 4.5 on my G5 (dual 2.5).

Take your pick... From UVI Import issues, to sample import issues, to playback issues, to control manipulation issues.

It's buggy as a total phuck pile, imho. I'm affraid to do major tweaking, and really push it.

I just posted a new thread on something BASIC as could be: Importing a REX file (mapped across the keyboard for those who don't know REX), and getting it to actually play without crashing DP. It's completely baked, and frustrating. I'm doing one of the most simple of procedures and it's taking a sh*t. And yes, I've trashed prefs, repaired, etc.

I don't have an answer as to what you should do. It think MOTU's quality control is about the worst of any major software developer out there; DP 4.5 has gargantuan bugs that they didn't work out. It's BS.

I'm calling it like I see it, here, and hope that I don't get chastised for express what is documented fact, as to the issues in their software.

And before someone says "Why do you use it, then.." I'll respond: The UI of DP trumps Logic, imo. It's a great platform, with regard to the things that work within the frame. They just need to do a MUCH better job of fixing the bugs. They SERIOUSLY need to get more professionals on a list of beta-testers that they use to gauge how the build is faring.

Anyway...
kazuya

Post by kazuya »

Maybe MOTU should give us some BETA-versions to test it. There are many Professionals in this forum. When i first used DP 2.72 on my G3 with the internal Hardware it just crashed once a week. Now with OS X and DP 4.5 and M5 and a Delta1010 it crashes 10 times a day...
If i could afford it, i would test a MOTU Interface...

Excuse my bad english, i‘m just a german.
DP 9.12 // MacPro 8-Core 2,26 // OSX 10.11.6 // 32 GB RAM // UAD-2 // PSP // Sonnox // 828 MK-II // Altiverb 6 // MachFive 2 // iZotope // ...

Excuse my bad english. I´m just a german.
doodles

Post by doodles »

flare

don't use rex files, so can't help you there :roll:

i'm running 1.2 on a dual 2.5 g5, and it's flying as far asloading and playing back samples, as well as uvi extract goes. what are the problem you've come across? seriously, haven't found many yet. (though i do have problems sometimes dragging over samples from the dp 4.5 sample list into mach 5...
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
Flare

Post by Flare »

That's cool, Doodles... But I'm the type of musician that is going to drive the system into the ground because I need it to work with heavy CPU loads. And skidMark of The Unicorn has seriously buggy sh*t happening with 4.5. The app unexpectedly quits whenever I quit. I believe this is a rampant issue amongst users, and the "fixes" aren't necessarily fixes.

I was smart enough to keep DP 4.12 in the bullpen, as I didn't trust DP 4.5 to properly open an old session. 4.5 had issues. The Machfive instance MIDI tracks were italicized, and non functioning...that was the tip of an iceberg I need not go into any further.

Soundbite beat detection, slicing, etc...Haven't got that to work.

The UVI Xtract app takes a SH*T regularly, giving the "Can't find preset...etc"; trashing prefs seems to fix it, but it begins happening again...same problem.

So far as REX imports go, anyone who's not using Recycle should discover it. It's the most revolutionary contribution to sampling technology (like groove control, obviously).

I'm about half a minute from jumping ship, and heading to logic land. DP fanboys out there can blow me; people need to start calling it like it is.

Sure if you're doing G rated sessions it seems to be dreamy...but once you put it through the seerious paces, it starts to unravel. Swell!
doodles

Post by doodles »

hey flare, no prbs, but pretty much max it out myself!
i've got 4and a half gigs in it and write film/tv music. average track has vsl library loaded up and the bosendorfer, 4 atmosphere tracks, 2 stylus, and god knows how much MIDI. on the audio front, usually about 15 stereo tracks of loops, and then record gtrs, etc.

i suppose i'm pushing dp, rather that mach 5, though, so it's probably different for you. my crash on quite finished after downloading the lame plug-in, though - did u try?

anyway, good luck with it - hope ya get it working...
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
doodles

Post by doodles »

oh, meant to say - showing myn ignorance. haven't used recycle for ages, as it never worked with stereo loops, so always ended up chopping the by hand into tiny pieces! so what's rex?
mjc

Post by mjc »

I'm running DP 4.5 with Mach5 1.2 on a G5 2Ghz with 4.5Gb Ram. I have caught the Faux "DP Unexpectedly Quit" bug each time I Quit, but trashing iSight plugin and installing LAME Framework fixed that OK. I've not had any probs with Mach5 loading up to 8 tracks of separate samples (mostly Soundscan) running alongside Fxpansion's BFD and with a few Masterworks fx on my audio tracks.
Just to be contrary, I've had great support from the local (UK) MOTU distributor (no question too dumb, always a polite and prompt answer) or with MOTU tech support who managed to get my Baby HUI working, after I gave up in frustration.
I'm running ALL MOTU hardware (828 MkII, MTP AV) which probably helps - it was a deliberate decision to go single supplier when I upgraded to mac G5. ;)
Mac Pro 2 x 2.4Ghz Quad Core, 14GB RAM, OSX 10.10.4, DP9.0 MachFive3, BFD3, Logic Pro X, 828MkII1, MTP AV, Mackie MC, A&H Zed 16R, POD X3 Korg SG pro X, 2 many guitars & amps
advid
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by advid »

I have serious problems here, running G5 1.8G Dual and 25. Dual, 1.5G Ram and 4G Ram respectively. I'd tested ( yesm reinstall everything..., erase the internatl system OS Disk ) OS 10.3, 10.34, 10.35, 10.36.

It's that I can't play the music for 10 bars or so, or DP and M5 become Desk Top Pictures alike, I can't bring it to the front page to work. An auto quit and freezes were happened for these conditions repectively.

No solutions so far. M5 1.2, DP, 4.12, 4.5 all have the same results so far. Now I can only use reason, Atmosphere, Stylus to work - but I already built a lot of files transfered from Giga, Akai...for M5, that's over 500G sound. I'm expecting someone who can tell me to use anther soft sampler to replace M5, Sampletank or Komtack or esle with G5, DP4.5 here anyone ?
Flare

Post by Flare »

Doodles,

REX is the file format for Recycle. And it's doing a bang up job on stereo files now. No more endless screen edits. It's worth checking out. RMX is pretty much where the technology has arrived, front and center. The power of manipulation is beyond words, and I'm greatful.

Anyway, it's obvious that MOTU has about 18 leaks in the software, so far as bugs go. It doesn't help that people are running on a plethora of different systems and set ups.

I've gotten everything running somewhat smoothly (knocks on wood). Although I have yet to really lay into the processor with a huge session.

The lamest bug with 4.5, though, is the fact that files try to open with 4.12, unless you go to the info window and switch launch app. MOTU's tech try to spin that one into it being a "system" problem.

Yeah, right. Maybe a few Brits should stop by Cambridge for a visit.
bckdm

Post by bckdm »

Originally posted by advid:
... An auto quit and freezes were happened for these conditions repectively.

No solutions so far. M5 1.2, DP, 4.12, 4.5 all have the same results so far. Now I can only use reason, Atmosphere, Stylus to work - but I already built a lot of files transfered from Giga, Akai...for M5, that's over 500G sound. I'm expecting someone who can tell me to use anther soft sampler to replace M5, Sampletank or Komtack or esle with G5, DP4.5 here anyone ?
I have serious problems using DP 4.12 and M5 together. DP quits several times a day, and I just can't record M5 instrument in an audio track (it freezes DP). So, looking forward some explanation or bug fixing from MOTU, I am using VSamp, a quite simple shareware sampler for just a few bucks. It does not have a beautiful interface such as M5, but IT WORKS.
cheers, BC.
dacart

Post by dacart »

I don't understand why you view having to go into Get Info and changing the App that the files are opened with as a 'bug." It seemed pretty logical to me. that's the way the OS works after all.

I also NEVER had any problems with REX files and frankly M5 has been the most stable thing that I use in DP outside of the Spectrasonics stuff. I have read of your many complaints about M5 but I frankly have never seen you be specific about the problems you've had. I am sorry in advance if I've overlooked them here but again the M5 that you describe and the one I have worked with over the past year don't have any correlation.

Dan Carter
"Ted, you know the way you are? Don't be that way!" Lou Grant to Ted Baxter